• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pheasant Hunting questions

Mbous

NES Member
I'm brand new to hunting and had some questions about hunting pheasants on WMA land in western mass, specifically Herman Covey in Belchertown.

The first question is am I required to use steel shot if part of the hunting area abuts a pond? I'm not interested in hunting waterfowl at all but there is one area I've seen pheasant feathers over the years and it abuts a pond. I didn't see anything in the hunting regs but I'd rather the game wardens/environmental police don't try and jam me up if I'm using lead shot and hunting pheasant.

The second question is it even worth it to try and hunt the area without a dog or even with a dog? I have a friend at my gun club who was interested in going hunting up there with me but I don't know if my schedule will match up and allow me to hunt with him and his dog. I was planning on trying on a weekday (probably a Monday or Thursday) even if I have to go alone without a dog. Does anyone know if that area is already over hunted and I'm just going to basically waste my time hiking the fields? I've heard some people know when the state stocks the birds so my concern is that the birds are already cleaned out and there is nothing there to try and flush.

I'm brand new to hunting and had some questions about hunting pheasants on WMA land in western mass, specifically Herman Covey in Belchertown.

The first question is am I required to use steel shot if part of the hunting area abuts a pond? I'm not interested in hunting waterfowl at all but there is one area I've seen pheasant feathers over the years and it abuts a pond. I didn't see anything in the hunting regs but I'd rather the game wardens/environmental police don't try and jam me up if I'm using lead shot and hunting pheasant.

The second question is it even worth it to try and hunt the area without a dog or even with a dog? I have a friend at my gun club who was interested in going hunting up there with me but I don't know if my schedule will match up and allow me to hunt with him and his dog. I was planning on trying on a weekday (probably a Monday or Thursday) even if I have to go alone without a dog. Does anyone know if that area is already over hunted and I'm just going to basically waste my time hiking the fields? I've heard some people know when the state stocks the birds so my concern is that the birds are already cleaned out and there is nothing there to try and flush.
1. Lead shot is legal for pheasant no matter where your hunting them.
2. Hunting without a dog is fine......just crisscross the field and be ready.....they wait till you almost step on em to flush.
3 there is no area that gets "over hunted"...they stock the fields 1-3 times a week the whole season (it's not like trout stocking where they do one big dump and that's it).

Is your friends dog trained? If it's not trained.....your better off going without a dog. Untrained dogs just run around Willy nilly and end up running off....and getting into fights with other dogs. If an untrained dog tangles....or interferes with a hunters trained dog thing will get ugly. I've seen it happen.

Enjoy

Last edited:
No need for steel shot if hunting pheasant.

You can hunt without a dog, its a lot tougher, tougher to find birds and tougher to recover birds after you shoot them. But it can be done, plan on criss crossing and walking a lot. You will have to step on birds to make them fly, they prefer to run. Finding, flushing and recovery is where the dog does best at.

I would say this, as a kid, I hunted birds without a dog, there could be six birds in heavy cover a football field in size. I'd be lucky to get one or two flushes, and I'd work my ass off for hours.

25 years ago, I then decided to get a dog, best thing I ever did, now, I'm on my third German Shorthair, and odds are if the conditions are right, and the birds are spread out and not running like crazy, the dog would find all six birds in half the time, and I would likely get a shot at every one. There are some days, rare occasion, but I find a field freshly stocked or unmolested field, it's usually about 15 minutes hunting and I have my two birds for the day. Add to that the dog is my family pet, a good watchdog, and one can only appreciate watching a dog work, I really could care less about shooting birds anymore, its all about the dog work and the beauty of the point.

Pheasant hunting is put and take. So yes, fields get hunted hard, but then are replenished with birds once or twice a week. They don't put a lot out and they don't last long on public land. There is generally a shxt ton of hunting pressure for pheasants. It used to be you could go during the week and have places to yourself and your dog. That's not so much anymore, seems like no one works anymore, and the fields always have hunting pressure, which is actually a good thing for a guy with no dog, as birds get moved around more.

The whole pressure situation and dealing with other hunters is why I'm a member of a private club and Addieville in RI. Dog work is best done with little or no interference from other parties, it's just way more enjoyable. Besides, six legal birds per MA season is not worth having a dog, in general I shoot 50 or more on the private clubs. I hunt my state areas get 6 every year, its not hard with the dog. To make it last longer on MA state land, I only shoot roosters, and let the hens alone. If I didn't do that my pheasant season in MA would be darn short.

Last edited:
Herman Covey can get very busy especially on Saturdays look at some of the other smaller Stocked wma’s in the area

Is there a specific shot size and choke I should be using? I've been reading online and it seems to range from #4-7.5 and IC through IM.

I was figuring I would try on like a monday or tuesday morning. The reason I wanted to try Herman Covey is I live like 15 minutes away.

Is there a specific shot size and choke I should be using? I've been reading online and it seems to range from #4-7.5 and IC through IM.

I was figuring I would try on like a monday or tuesday morning. The reason I wanted to try Herman Covey is I live like 15 minutes away.
7.5 is a bit small for pheasant imo. 4-6 should do it and ic to mod will work fine especially if your walking crisscross cross without a dog.....they wait till you almost step on em so shots will be close.

Improved cyl is what i use, sometimes even skeet with the 12 gauge cause with a dog holding and pointing, you step on the birds to flush them, which means super close shots at the ready. Modifed will work OK as well, just let the bird get out a bit.

I like #5's using 12 gauge, #6's if I use the 20 or 28 gauge (few more pellets).

7.5's will work, but they suck for staight away tail shots, generally don't penetrate well unless your really close.

Monday mornings can be good, there are days on the private club we put a shit ton of birds out on a Saturday, with a lot of hunters (too many dogs, too much scent) and really don't take that much, especially if conditions aren't good. I come back the next Monday morning with no one else around and it seems like birds are everywhere and we clean house.

Youll find most saturdays on state land are WAY too many dogs, WAY too many hunters. A lot of birds get missed by the dogs because it's just a shit show.

I used to hunt Herman Covey a lot - I've got areas closer to me, so I haven't been there in a while but I'm still very familiar with it.

Question 1 - you don't need steel. I've wished I had it a few times when I flushed ducks or had geese come low over my head - but it's not needed.

Question 2 - I've got to disagree on the dog. From what I've seen, especially at Covey, a dog is useless. If a dog is well trained it is a huge asset - but I've never personally seen a well trained dog.

In fact, most dogs I've seen at larger WMAs are a detriment to the hunt and the hunting experience: I'm working a field and I've got 3 idiots 50 yards away from me, screaming at their dog that is 50 yards beyond that and the dog is just running around having fun. I never left Covey empty handed, but have met several who have despite their "advantage" of the dog.
I once met the Outdoors writer for the Springfield Republican, who was always bragging about hunting with his dogs in the paper. His dog disappeared over a hill while we were talking (to be fair, the dog DID lock up on me, as I had a bird in my vest) and never came back. The writer (Frank Sousa) tried to blame me, saying his dog was chasing mine, and I should call my dog back. I told him I didn't have a dog, and good luck finding his. Gee - a liar who writes for a paper, go figure.

I'm not a fan of dogs - don't bother trying to convince me.

As for Herman Covey, dogless. Don't hang out in the fields. It LOOKS like what you see in Field and Stream when they hunt wild populations in the Dakotas, but sadly, the pheasant they release here do not have a subscription, and don't know where they are supposed to go. If it's raining, hit the woods, they'll be in the pines tucked in on the ground close against a tree, nice and dry. Otherwise, prepare to get muddy and hit the swamps. All the hunters and their dogs drive the birds out of the fields they're supposed to be in, and they go where there is good thick cover, like cattails and the muck where there aren't a ton of people.

One thing about not having a dog, is that the birds will hold tight until you're almost on them. My average flush was about 10 feet. I carried 7 1/2s as my first shot, and 6s for the second. I don't bother with more than that, simply because I've never hit after two misses, nor have I ever flushed two. My thought is people will hear two shots and figure you hit, and not come over trying to work your bird - which may give you a chance for a second flush. We all know when you hear five quick shots that the guy missed. I've never had a problem putting a bird down with the 7 1/2s, and I've used 20ga, 16ga and I've even sunk so low as to actually use a 12ga from time to time.

As you're walking, stop for a good 10 - 15 seconds every now and then. Supposedly it will drive the birds to flush when you start walking again.

Good luck!

If you're going without a dog, throw some small rocks in your pockets, as much as you can stand to carry. Toss a rock into the middle of a bush/ tuft of tall grass and see if anything flushes out. Its a lot easier than going stomping into brush yourself, and either way by the end of your hunt you'll be somewhat lighter for an easier walk back to your truck. ;)

Good luck. I've shot birds with no dog, but it is easier to hunt pheasant with a dog that's properly trained and good at locating/ pointing.

45 collector brings up a good point about shooting birds without a dog, finding them. (I bring my kids hunting, so have kinda forgotten actually being successful, lol). Bring a length or two of surveyor tape tied to a nut or bolt. When you shoot a bird, drop one tape where you were, and throw the second where you made the shot. That narrows your search field. All the trees look alike once you take a step and in this case even an untrained dog is better than a human.

Tuna- I agree with your stance on poorly trained dogs. They are a detriment to your experience. What most dont know is bringing a dog int a field with tons of people and other dogs is just asking for trouble. You are better off not doing that, well trained or not.

This is why I prefer private clubs and Addieville. The dog and I, my son or other hunting buddies enjoy a good experience rather than some shit show.

Heres the reality and why I generally dont hunt state land on a Saturday or when it's busy. Many that hunt state land just dont put time in to train dogs properly. Again too many people too many dogs is not good, and a dog with too much stimulus can go off the rails.
I look at it this way, I generally dont deer hunt with a bunch of strangers, why in the world would I bird hunt with them.

You said the birds end up in nasty swamps and woods where most wont go.
That is true, and really what I love about state land. So I pick days when no one is around so the dog can work successfully. Hit the nastiest cover around and pick up birds almost every time.

Having a dog also affords me the time to hunt on off times and be successful. Also rather than me slogging thru the wet bullshit, my dog happily and much more efficiently does and loves every minute of it. On my state land bird hunts I generally see no one at all. Thats how I like it.

Herman Covey can get very busy especially on Saturdays look at some of the other smaller Stocked wma’s in the area

This. And not just with other hunters, lots of walkers and dogwalkers. Mid-week you might be OK, but who knows all those "nice" places are usually overrun.

Tuna- I agree with your stance on poorly trained dogs. They are a detriment to your experience. What most dont know is bringing a dog int a field with tons of people and other dogs is just asking for trouble. You are better off not doing that, well trained or not.

This is why I prefer private clubs and Addieville. The dog and I, my son or other hunting buddies enjoy a good experience rather than some shit show.

Heres the reality and why I generally dont hunt state land on a Saturday or when it's busy. Many that hunt state land just dont put time in to train dogs properly. Again too many people too many dogs is not good, and a dog with too much stimulus can go off the rails.
I look at it this way, I generally dont deer hunt with a bunch of strangers, why in the world would I bird hunt with them.

You said the birds end up in nasty swamps and woods where most wont go.
That is true, and really what I love about state land. So I pick days when no one is around so the dog can work successfully. Hit the nastiest cover around and pick up birds almost every time.

Having a dog also affords me the time to hunt on off times and be successful. Also rather than me slogging thru the wet bullshit, my dog happily and much more efficiently does and loves every minute of it. On my state land bird hunts I generally see no one at all. Thats how I like it.

Good points......Guys screaming all morning at their dogs and those beeping collars that sound like a truck backing up...Drives me nuts.
How about a good old fashion bell and if you cant hunt with your dog without screaming like a lunatic please stay home...

LOL I often wonder if those screamers go home with a sore throat at the end of their hunt.
Those dudes are really why I gave up on the pheasant circus a few years back. You'll find me in the woods at the wma chasing squirrels while the circus is going on at the stocked field.....last year I took a pheasant that wandered into my ao!

Good points......Guys screaming all morning at their dogs and those beeping collars that sound like a truck backing up...Drives me nuts.
How about a good old fashion bell and if you cant hunt with your dog without screaming like a lunatic please stay home...

I fully agree. There is no yelling when I hunt.

I have a 35 dollar electronic collar from amazon. I trained the dog with it. It beeps, vibrates or zaps. I dont even call the dog, i use the collar. Dog doesnt come on the beep, I will vibrate, if still no response it gets a zap.

I only had to zap a few times and she got the idea. Most times a simple beep gets her back in range. Then I use the heel command when I want her at my side.

I use the bell just so I know where she is in the brush and so no dumbass will shoot her. I hate those beeper collars. They are annoying and expensive.

I got to say I love my beeping collar. I run a brittany that can range a bit and appreciate the range on it, if I am the only one there or one other car I let it beep, if the place becomes crowded, I just call her in a bit and run it on "point-mode" I think bells belong on flushing dogs, not pointers, but to each their own.

I also really don't see all this yelling that you guys claim. Sure I have run into one or two other hunters who have misplaced their dogs at times but not at the rate that others have seen apparently.

Have a good time and hunt how you like.

I use steel #4 shot 12 gauge with full choke and no dog.

#4 shot - less shot to pick out later
steel shot - when you accidently swallow/chew on one, its not lead.

kicking around brush piles in just off field edges in the scrub will do you well.
i second the looking up at trees things, they like to hide.
There are no regs against lead shot near a pond. if you were to take a shot at a duck or a goose, then yes that it not allowed with lead. Makes sense even if you shoot from the exact same spot right?

Spent 1.5 hours in Westboro this am with two dogs.

Heard 2-3 shots total and we saw no birds. The dogs outnumbered the birds.
Was hoping they had restocked last night but they probably put them in this pm or tonight...

A lovely morning to be out though...

Back
Top Bottom