• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Stag is losing their FFL

You can mill the pocket to accept a FA trigger group. You can't however have the thru hole for the pin for it.

The pocket dimensions are meaningless for classification. The ATF is known for going full retard over the thru hole, regardless of the pocket dimensions. This is why jigs don't come with the 4th hole placement.

Wonder if he will sell to his father, Teddy Malkowski, founder of CMT. Isnt Stag Arms just the civilian side of Continental Machine & Tool (CMT)? Makes sense to sell back to family.

v0fjxYd.jpg

Not really allegations if they plead guilty to the charges.

Because nobody ever pleads guilty to something they didn't do and the Feds would never go after someone and levy more and more severe charges if someone doesn't take play ball. Never.

The federal government bats like 99%. If they want, they can make your life miserable and ruined so sometimes the best you can do is plead guilty to something so you don't have to spend all your money fighting charges that you will end up losing anyways.

Unless these were built under a military contract (and specifically built for auto fire capabilities) I can't see how these lowers were classified as a machine gun

This was my exact first though as well.

And I'm not sure I need to point out the irony of the government literally destroying your personal livelyhood over products that you are making for the government, only to be potentially used to arrest you.

A maker like Stag has an 07 FFL and a Class 2 SOT. That entitles them to make machine guns as they see fit. Whether it is for a government contract or even just because they wanted to have a few on hand.

The problems seems to be that they did not register them. For a Class 2 SOT, this means filing a Form 2. There is not cost to filing a Form 2. The NFA says you have 24 hours (I believe) from the time you make a MG to send in a Form 2. It is easy to see how that could be a problem if someone is on vacation and their internal processes don't provide a backup. So the only reason to commit the crime they are accused of is simple sloppiness.

It sounds like they made a stupid administrative error and got nailed for it.

Now, if there turns out to be evidence someone was pushing un-serialized lowers out the back door, its an ENTIRELY different thing. But from what I can find that is NOT the case.

Don

Last edited:
One other thing. Stag is right next door to Continental Machine and Tool. CMT has been an OEM to the firearms world for decades. They make many of the parts that go into Colt's ARs and mil contract M4s.

CMT is owned by Mark's father, who has again been in the business for decades.

I would not be surprised if the father picks up the FFL, and the son goes to work at CMT working in their non-firearms areas.

Don

Were these BS charges or were they legitimately trying to pull a fast one somewhere? Is my Stag stuff illegal now? [wink]

It was pretty much just sloppy record keeping and procedural stuff they got him on.
No accusations of selling illegally.
Not too bright considering the current political climate.
It's one business you damn well better cross every T and dot every I.
This is the stuff that ATF lives for, and he gave them a gift.

Not too bright considering the current political climate.
It's one business you damn well better cross every T and dot every I.
especially when you are on TV giving interviews about the new gun control laws and business climate in CT. What are the chances Obama's butt buddy malloy called in some revenge.

I wonder what would happen to me if I manufactured a few dozen unregistered machine guns at home. [laugh]

This Govt would love to shut down every last gun manufacturer, ammo and component manufacturer and import for the govt's sole use from Belgium...

Sometimes FFLs are the worst allies for gun owners. They whip us up over the 2nd amendment while either jacking prices or breaking the law like this.

This Govt would love to shut down every last gun manufacturer, ammo and component manufacturer and import for the govt's sole use from Belgium...

I think you mean South Carolina. Or Portugal.

So sans Stag, how many AR lower makers are there in New England? YHM, Windham and Bane?

A maker like Stag has an 07 FFL and a Class 2 SOT. That entitles them to make machine guns as they see fit. Whether it is for a government contract or even just because they wanted to have a few on hand.

The problems seems to be that they did not register them. For a Class 2 SOT, this means filing a Form 2. There is not cost to filing a Form 2. The NFA says you have 24 hours (I believe) from the time you make a MG to send in a Form 2. It is easy to see how that could be a problem if someone is on vacation and their internal processes don't provide a backup. So the only reason to commit the crime they are accused of is simple sloppiness.

It sounds like they made a stupid administrative error and got nailed for it.

Now, if there turns out to be evidence someone was pushing un-serialized lowers out the back door, its an ENTIRELY different thing. But from what I can find that is NOT the case.

Don

Figure you know . Having a ar15 milled out for the auto sear but no hole drilled , for the auto sear dose the ATF see that as a machine gun . I figure no since they don't require a block in a ak, since all you need todo is or hole and a little slot with a dermal on the right side rail.

Figure you know . Having a ar15 milled out for the auto sear but no hole drilled , for the auto sear dose the ATF see that as a machine gun . I figure no since they don't require a block in a ak, since all you need todo is or hole and a little slot with a dermal on the right side rail.
From everything I have read the auto sear hole is the feature that makes it a machine gun.

Probably be the best thing they ever did.....get out of CT and deny the state their taxes.
too bad though that he did not do it on his own terms like he threatened to a while back. Could have taken some good jobs out of CT sooner and with less legal troubles.

His fate is a lot different than the 4 people and Owner at Sabre Defense that were charged with Arms Trafficking.
Sabre made my Steyr AUG A3 NATO. It is one of 1870 units Made before the ATF raid.

Malodave

Stag had great customer service. One time they sent me the wrong upper, I had the right one in less than 24 hours.

Back
Top Bottom