• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Stack on cabinet and hand guns.

Some great ideas in this thread. I'm impressed at the ingenuity and creativity.

My 2¢ worth is this: If location or finances (or both) limit you to gun cabinets (vs. gun safes), buy a second one. They are cheap enough, especially when on sale. Make the second one into your handgun and small items safe with some shelves. Done!

I have the same Stack-On cabinet and I'm using it pretty much the same fashion as OP. Only difference is I've mounted foam along the interior where the barrels rest to keep them from scratching against the bare metal. It seems to be designed for long guns with barrels +22in, so for me there's quite a bit of wasted space. As for the shelf, since it doesn't sit flush with the rear of the cabinet small items can fall through the gap. For what I paid ($80) it's more than adequate.

IMAG1049_zpsfz4n8wcm.jpg

I almost forgot.....I noticed the same thing when I purchased my stack-on cabinet, so before securing it in it's final location, I mounted another set of rifle rests below the stock ones. I did some rough measuring and drilled two holes in the rear of the cabinet. I had an extra set of rests because of the way I decided to set up my shelves. See the pic below.

View attachment 89256

I put 3 .50 ammo cans on the floor of the cabinet and put the rifles on those. Works for me.

Some great ideas in this thread. I'm impressed at the ingenuity and creativity.

My 2¢ worth is this: If location or finances (or both) limit you to gun cabinets (vs. gun safes), buy a second one. They are cheap enough, especially when on sale. Make the second one into your handgun and small items safe with some shelves. Done!

My dad has like 4 of them he builds his own wooden frame and shelfs for them . I think 2 and a half filled with ammo. I planed to get one just for ammo. But plan to get a real safe when I buy a house .

20131226_162705.jpg

I didn't use the top (wide) shelf that Moopy uses. I think I may still have it in my closet, if you want it. I didn't use it b/c it would interfere with the long rifles.

AR & MK III are in a locked range bag, but both fit in the safe as well.

As, Boston VI pointed out - some shorter rifles need some custom holder(s).

ETA: I've also had to go to using locked footlockers for extra ammo & reloading components. Don't even get me started on moisture control...

Last edited:
LOTTA room in that safe! I have the same one. I have a 4 handguns on the top shelf of it no problem. extra mags and such just sit on top of it. Ammo is locked in a separate container.

Using the safe version of this cabinet. Added a plastic Plano shelf to the bottom for storing mags and ammo under - and over. Pistols stay on top shelf in tupperware. I plan to add a few pockets to door for future pistols.
budu4uju.jpg
gy9u7evy.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took a 10 gun cabinet and turned it into my ammo storage. The shelf in the 18 gun came with it. Has four screws in it and it's pretty secure.

Pictures here

The manabout pistol racks are nice looking, but expensive to me

Did you guys buy those shelfs from stack on or did you build them your self? My safe only came with the barrel rest and a cheap thin shelf .

the 18 gun convertible cabinet comes has 3+ options you can setup inside. All shelves, all rifles, half and half, just one shelf on top, etc. So it comes with a good amount of shelves and 3 or 4 sections of rifle guides.

I still have one shelf piece that I've been thinking of mounting just above the rifle guides for some extra ammo storage. I'd have to take the shelf next to that apart which is the only thing keeping me from doing it. Either that or add a shelf to the bottom like previously mentioned.
Cabinet and shelf.jpg

oh and the two glocks are a gen 3 G19 and a gen 4 G23. Since there's two empty spots in that rack I need at least two more glocks. lol.

Last edited:
sweet door set up good looking going to have to do the same with mine .... i took the top shelf off long guns didnt fit to good .. but going to do some more mods soon.......

- - - Updated - - -

the 18 gun convertible cabinet comes has 3+ options you can setup inside. All shelves, all rifles, half and half, just one shelf on top, etc. So it comes with a good amount of shelves and 3 or 4 sections of rifle guides.

I still have one shelf piece that I've been thinking of mounting just above the rifle guides for some extra ammo storage. I'd have to take the shelf next to that apart which is the only thing keeping me from doing it. Either that or add a shelf to the bottom like previously mentioned.
View attachment 89320

oh and the two glocks are a gen 3 G19 and a gen 4 G23. Since there's two empty spots in that rack I need at least two more glocks. lol.

sweet looking set up... mods are coming soon like this ............. have too take my 4 glocks and set up like this

I have one of those 18 gun that I set up shelves on one side, long guns on the other like moopey did. I got a 'dish drying rack' (rubber coated wire) from Walmart that fits exactly perfect on one of the side shelves, and it was like $3, holds 4 handguns.

Back
Top Bottom