• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Stack on cabinet and hand guns.

Mine

8eqetydu.jpg

This seems as good a place as any for this.

I just picked up the 18 gun stack on cabinet cause my 10 gun is too small (as is par for the course, they never hold the amount they are rated for). I got a good price on it as well at $200. I am also trying to line the interior with some cheap carpet to prevent scratches (will also likely cut down on noise vibrations when I open it too, maybe). Anyway, that isn't the issue. I get it open, start to add the plastic risers for the rifles (I'm not using the shelves. It is strictly for guns, I have a small one for handguns mounted on a nightstand).

I get one side screwed in and am fighting like hell trying to get the other screw in place. After about 20 minutes of going WTF I give up and sit down. Then it clicks and I take the other one and line it up against the screw holes. Sure as ****ing shit, the screw holes are off by a 1/4 inch. I then thought: "That's what I get for buying Chinese shit" and then see on the label: Made in USA. [thinking] I guess Stack on has gone downhill in quality since I bought my previous one a few years back.

This seems as good a place as any for this.

I just picked up the 18 gun stack on cabinet cause my 10 gun is too small (as is par for the course, they never hold the amount they are rated for). I got a good price on it as well at $200. I am also trying to line the interior with some cheap carpet to prevent scratches (will also likely cut down on noise vibrations when I open it too, maybe). Anyway, that isn't the issue. I get it open, start to add the plastic risers for the rifles (I'm not using the shelves. It is strictly for guns, I have a small one for handguns mounted on a nightstand).

I get one side screwed in and am fighting like hell trying to get the other screw in place. After about 20 minutes of going WTF I give up and sit down. Then it clicks and I take the other one and line it up against the screw holes. Sure as ****ing shit, the screw holes are off by a 1/4 inch. I then thought: "That's what I get for buying Chinese shit" and then see on the label: Made in USA. [thinking] I guess Stack on has gone downhill in quality since I bought my previous one a few years back.

Have you lined it with carpet yet? If so I'm curious what products and process you used. I just picked up another 18 gun cabinet that I want to line with carpet also. I'm undecided if I want to line with 1/4" plywood then carpet or just carpet onto the metal. I like the idea of the wood to potentially be able to hang things from. But just the carpet would be less expensive. I'm not sure what type of adhesive to use if applying the carpet onto metal and if I should sand the inside to scuff the paint for better adhesion.

Also, in case some haven't seen the dedicated thread, BJ's selling the Stock-on 18 gun convertible cabinet for $99 ($149.99-$50 instant rebate). Although reports are coming in that some stores are selling it for $139. I purchased mine a couple days ago in Quincy for $99. Get there quick though, BJ's has clearanced the out. So once they sell out that's it.

Have you lined it with carpet yet? If so I'm curious what products and process you used. I just picked up another 18 gun cabinet that I want to line with carpet also. I'm undecided if I want to line with 1/4" plywood then carpet or just carpet onto the metal. I like the idea of the wood to potentially be able to hang things from. But just the carpet would be less expensive. I'm not sure what type of adhesive to use if applying the carpet onto metal and if I should sand the inside to scuff the paint for better adhesion.

Also, in case some haven't seen the dedicated thread, BJ's selling the Stock-on 18 gun convertible cabinet for $99 ($149.99-$50 instant rebate). Although reports are coming in that some stores are selling it for $139. I purchased mine a couple days ago in Quincy for $99. Get there quick though, BJ's has clearanced the out. So once they sell out that's it.

Because I'm cheap, I bought the cheapest carpet you could buy. It was like $0.38/sqft at home depot for a 6x8 section. As a result it wasn't going to work with any adhesive (it is really shitty carpet, but for my purposes is fine). My solution was to drill extra holes along the top of the cabinet and use some screws to secure a piece of pine (1inch by 2 inches I think) to the cabinet wall with the carpet (cut to the wall section width) sandwiched in between. It actually worked pretty well. I then secured the plastic rifle holders that come with the cabinet the same way. The carpet did deaden the sound of opening the door and lock a little.

gotcha. I was lowes and grabbed a sample of some gray carpet that was about .50/sf and had a rubber backing to it. I might try that.

I bought the stack-on handgun safe and then "stacked-it-on" to my rifle case. Can be had for under $100 at most places that sell stack on I believe.

I found a dedicated 14 gun stack-on works fine for me (if I had any handguns that is, wouldn't want the man to know).

I used 3/4 inch plywood, cut to fit and then used side pieces of 3/4 to simply put the shelf on, no nails weight of gun holds shelf and uprights, you can get over 8 guns per shelf, not that I would know anything about that. Maybe it was 1/2 inch plywood.

I found a dedicated 14 gun stack-on works fine for me (if I had any handguns that is, wouldn't want the man to know).

I used 3/4 inch plywood, cut to fit and then used side pieces of 3/4 to simply put the shelf on, no nails weight of gun holds shelf and uprights, you can get over 8 guns per shelf, not that I would know anything about that. Maybe it was 1/2 inch plywood.

Now where did I leave that 686? I know it's in here somewhere! [rofl]

Sent from my phone....which isn't really a phone anymore, it's a computer on my pocket

You win! [rofl]

Another option is to build some holders with magnets. A friend did this he took some old salvaged hard drive magnets, they are very strong, and attached them to some wood strips he covered in some very thin carpet type material, just thick enough to protect the pistols. He took some wooden dowels and dipped them in plastidip to protect the pistol finish. He hangs his pistols on the dowels which is stuck to the frame of the cabinet with the magnets.
The hard drive magnets are super strong and have never failed to hold.

It is nice because it is relocatable, no holes in the cabinet and it was very cheap to build.
He also built something similar with covered magnets to hold the rifles in place.

Last edited:
Awesome thread. I just applied for my Class-A two weeks ago so I've been checking out cabinets online and I narrowed it down to the Stack-On 18-gun cabinet. I like how it's modular so it will adapt as my collection grows. I plan to line it with felt or thin carpeting, wire in a duplex receptacle, and perhaps LED lighting. Does anyone know what brand and model the door pouch is in Moopey's photos? I like that setup a lot.

I have the same problem with my rifles being too short for the rifle rests...I just store a couple of full ammo cans and let the rifles sit on that...make;s them tall enough and god forbid someone ever tries to steal it makes it heavy as hell.

End Thread... impressive

I have the same problem with my rifles being too short for the rifle rests...I just store a couple of full ammo cans and let the rifles sit on that...make;s them tall enough and god forbid someone ever tries to steal it makes it heavy as hell.

I attached my rests lower then where the pre drilled holes were. That pretty much will hold up what I have for rifles just fine. I just need more spacers for scopes...

i used a piece of angle aluminum and some rivets and put a shelf in at the bottom..... helps the short guns reach the rests.....
just enough room below the shelf for .30 cal ammo cans, HGs, HG magazines and more ammo go on the top shelf......

IMAG1286.jpg

replaced the cheapo plastic shelf with a wooden one up top, same wood for the bottom, covered in a blue towel i had laying around (that's the blue you see towards the bottom)
the shelves don't fill the full depth of the cabinet, that let's me put the long guns up front, carbines in the back (shotties up front! shorties in the rear!)

IMAG1289.jpg
(Mossy 500 on the left sitting on the floor of the cab, in the back some 10/22s, AR and AK all sitting on the bottom shelf)

also drilled, riveted and JB Welded a hasp to the door for a secondary lock....

once i get a larger safe, this thing is going to get more shelves and will be put in my reloading room to hold ammo and components...

Last edited:
Locked myself out! My Mosin must have fell forward when I put it away...the bolt handle got caught on the latch from the safe door so I couldn't turn the key!!
Fortunately I was able to rock it back enough to let the rifle slide away from the door! I'll be more careful next time!!!

Back
Top Bottom