Squirrel Hunting 101

Brin747

NES Member
My son (17) wants to try his hand at hunting. Now, I have never been a hunter, it just wasn't something I ever got into but I'm happy to give it a go. He wants to try out squirrel hunting for starters. We live in the sticks, and have a couple hundred acres of woods behind the house so finding them won't be a problem. Most of my firearms are not really appropriate for hunting, but he has his own 10/22 and 12 gauge.

Any pointers, tips, recommendations you would be willing to share to get him started? I'm guessing the 10/22 is the way to go, unless he wants squirrel burger?

The 10-22 or 12G are both perfect for squirrels. Believe it or not I go with a 12G for squirrels using high brass #4 and a full choke. That combo will reach the top of any tree in new england. If you get in on a squirrel closer than say 25 yards just be sure to aim in front of the nose to hit em with the fringe. You year lots of "know it alls" saying shit like "you cant use a 12 g on squirrels cuz itll blow em up". True.....if you dont know how to use your gun and aim center mass at 20 yards. Hell a 20g or 410 will ruin alot of meat close up if you dont plan on using the fringe of the pattern.

I use 4 shot cuz ive found 6 shot leaves too many pellets in the meat and 4 gives you a little more range. Remy extended range high brass is good ammo for all small game hunting. The green and yellow box. Like 17 bucks a box at wally world.

my recommendation is use the shotgun. Have fun.

Last edited:
Get a decent air rifle with a scope. The Gamo ones are popular. There's a newish Ruger one that looks really good.

Have fun. Happy squirrel cooking!

+1 on the pellet gun. Forces you to place your shots and not just grip-and-rip ten rounds off with a 10/22. (you are hunting, not just killing.)

12 gauge vs a squirrel is almost cheating... but I used to use a 410 when I was feeling lazy.

I've been out three times already and haven't seen a single damn squirrel...this is my first hunting season, so I hope I get more luck down the road.
Slow stalk. If you think you are moving too slow....slow down more. Look for oak stands.....if you see chewed acorns under an oak stand....stop. Lean agaiat a tree and remain still for 15 minutes or more. Then move on. Did i mention move slow?

- - - Updated - - -

My son took two in the backyard when he was 12yo, with a .177 pellet rifle
Awesome for him. Great start! Finding them in the woods is a little different.

Last edited:
Don't forget to send a round or two into the nests and cavities in trees, you will be surprised to see how many are hiding in there.

Dean

PS: A 12ga shot to a nest is usually followed by a shower of acorns.LOL

Don't forget to send a round or two into the nests and cavities in trees, you will be surprised to see how many are hiding in there.

Dean

Don't do this its not an ethical shot since you don't know where on the animal you're hitting. You could also end up shooting an animal that you did not intend to shoot. Not to mention you could end up killing an entire family, babies and all which leaves you less to hunt the next year.

Don't do this its not an ethical shot since you don't know where on the animal you're hitting. You could also end up shooting an animal that you did not intend to shoot. Not to mention you could end up killing an entire family, babies and all which leaves you less to hunt the next year.

this. you NEVER shoot into a nest

Keep in mind safety. If shooting upwards, into a treetop for instance, think about what the projectile(s) can reach downrange. A .22 bullet that misses the target can travel 1.5 miles. Shotgun or pellet gun will have a shorter range, but this is still a consideration. Know your target and what's beyond. Be safe, have fun, good hunting.

I guess none of you have had several thousands of dollars of damage done by the Satan spawns. in several different instances, Your right I don't hunt them I want to kill them, so I will not be posting in this thread anymore since OP was asking about hunting them.

Dean

Dean

Holy shit what terrible advice. What if the tree cavity had a woodpecker living in it? Know your target is in the hunter ethics forna reason. So you dont kill simething out of season or even protected. Wow probably the worst advice ive seen on nes in a loooong time.

I guess none of you have had several thousands of dollars of damage done by the Satan spawns. in several different instances, Your right I don't hunt them I want to kill them, so I will not be posting in this thread anymore since OP was asking about hunting them.

Dean
im all for controlling a species when necessary too. But you need to operate within hunting regulations and ethics. Please.....do us all a favor and dont post in here anymore just like you promised.

You ask me me not to post here and yet you slam me in two consecutive posts, a squirrels nest is easy to spot it always has acorn droppings right at the base of the tree right under it, and when it is in the cavity of a tree the bark is always well worn from all the coming and going from stashing they acorns. And once again acorns at the base of the tree and if it is nice enough or big enough they will raid it and chase out the current tenants. In 40 years I have never shot anything endangered or that I did not intend to shoot, so that and having the best Squirrel dog I have ever seen helps also.

Dean

when you're not looking for them, like sitting on your deck drinking a beer, you'll see hundreds of them. When you walk into the woods looking for squirrels you'll think the squirrel rapture has occurred.

Ain't that the truth. Go out hunting for turkeys or deer, they'll practically run over you , or worse, will hang out close by announcing your presence to the world. But go out hunting for them, and they magically disappear.

I haven't squirrel hunted in a few years because I have harvested enough for their tails and fur for a couple of years. I use it for fly tying.

I have found though that finding a grove of oaks, pines with cones or other "food" trees is good. Look for evidence of acorns and pinecone bits on stumps. At that point I plant my ass on the ground with my back against a tree (you tend to blend in better that way) with a good vantage point of the food trees and wait..................................quietly.

Eventually the woods will become alive again and that's when you start taking pot shots at squirrels. In the woods behind my house, it usually takes about 20-30 minutes to be sitting still for things to start moving again.

I use either my old Glenfield model 25 or my Ruger 22/45 pistol. Subsonic bullets are good but they don't reliably cycle the Ruger. They are quiet though and seem not to spook the squirrels too much.

When I drop a squirrel, I try remember where it dropped as I don't want to get up to get it or I'll be back at square one waiting for all the spooked squirrels to reappear. If it's wounded I will to do the coup de grace but generally, they are dead before they hit the ground.

Right after sunrise or late afternoon I find are the best times...

Last edited:
I've been having a good season so far. I mainly take them on the edge of my yard. I finally picked up a Benjamin Marauder .25cal air rifle. It annihilated them. Got two this afternoon and have them soaking in the fridge and the pelts are drying on the stretching boards.
my favorite store bought call

[video]https://youtu.be/aD_PF_-xE9g[/video]

tomorrows lunch

Forgive the crappy cellphone pic. haven't had time for glamour shots

I've been having a good season so far. I mainly take them on the edge of my yard. I finally picked up a Benjamin Marauder .25cal air rifle. It annihilated them. Got two this afternoon and have them soaking in the fridge and the pelts are drying on the stretching boards.

This. I have a Beeman 22 cal springer. Squirrels are whats for dinner.

In case you get lucky....

Last edited by a moderator:
You ask me me not to post here and yet you slam me in two consecutive posts, a squirrels nest is easy to spot it always has acorn droppings right at the base of the tree right under it, and when it is in the cavity of a tree the bark is always well worn from all the coming and going from stashing they acorns. And once again acorns at the base of the tree and if it is nice enough or big enough they will raid it and chase out the current tenants. In 40 years I have never shot anything endangered or that I did not intend to shoot, so that and having the best Squirrel dog I have ever seen helps also.

Dean

Please keep posting here. This way we will all understand you fully (though it's pretty easy to see what kind of character you are).

Shooting blindly into ANYTHING is just as dumb as it gets. One day you will do this and a flurry of owl feathers will come flying out.

Squirrel hunting advice to the OP: don't listen to Dean Crawford.

Since you said please I will oblige, 40 plus years of squirrel hunting 20,000 plus squirrels and no "feathers" I am going to keep going with what works. And like I said from hunting them it for so long, I know what to look for and my dogs are Never wrong each one has learned from there mom and is better than there predecessor.

Dean

PS: From the amount of positive reps and PMs giving me the thumbs up, and also wanting to know more about my approach. Apparently a lot of squirrel hunters do want to listen and hear what I have to say. Mr Cobalt or whoever you are hiding behind that screen name.

What about rubbing 3 pennies together. It's suppose to sound like a squirrel cracking nuts. At least that's what my dad told me.. then again maybe he was just trying to get me to slow down.. Either way it worked.

What are the requirements to wear orange ,if any, in massachusetts for squirrel hunting? This thread sparked my interest so I took my sxs 410 full choke with #6's and could find not one squirrel. When I am in my tree stand for archery I swear I'm being invaded by them. When I mountain bike spook rabbits every ride. But when I take the shotgun out everything is gone!

Back
Top Bottom