• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Springfield Model 87M (Garand Trainer)

USMA-82

NES Member
Something a little different for me - a .22LR C&R rifle. I've been looking at these for some time and have been intrigued by the lack of information about them out in cyberspace.

Although called a "Garand Trainer", there is no evidence that these were ever used by the U.S. Military. The current theory is that they were introduced as a way to capitalize on the popularity of the Garand. Manufactured by J. Stevens Arms (Chicopee, MA), whose parent company was Savage, there were supposedly only a few hundred made between 1938 and 1948.

The rifle is a tube-magazine-fed semi-automatic, and was sold with a scaled down version of the M1903 sling. Pretty neat package overall. I have some springs to replace (thank you e-gunparts), but I can't wait to get her to the range.

With the cost of ammo going through the roof, I may have to spend more time with guns like these.

87m-6.jpg

87m-1.jpg

87m-10.jpg

87m-13.jpg

Last edited:
i have a "springfield" 22 bolt action from J.C. stevens with the same scaled down springfield sling, its a accurate rifle with standard volocity 22lr but wont pattern with high volocity.

Very cool! How are the sights on the rifle? Are they anything near the quality of a Garand? It's hard to tell from the pictures.

Very nice find - you'll have fun with that one.

My first rifle was a standard model 87, with the cheesy plastic stock. Still shoots well, but too worn out to be reliable anymore. Yours is the best looking variant of the 87 I've run across. Let us know how it shoots!

Very nice. What is the purpose of the vertical cuts on the left side of the receiver (where the stock drops down)? Is that some sort of scope mount attachment system?

Nice find, you'll have to post a range report. The more I read this section, the longer my C&R list gets!

Very nice. What is the purpose of the vertical cuts on the left side of the receiver (where the stock drops down)? Is that some sort of scope mount attachment system?

Wish I knew. I think it's just a design feature but, again, there's just not alot of info about these rifles out there. If anyone knows a source, let me know.

As soon as I get the springs renewed, I'll get it out on the range and post a report. The rear sight is actually a kinda cheesy leaf spring with a fixed aperature. There is some limited elevation adjustment, but no windage that I can see.

Back
Top Bottom