Springfield Armory goes old school

M1911, you have to admit there is No feel of the road like the old style steering and gas pedal. That's a feeling I loved, drive by wire took that away and some people wouldn't know the difference.
The 1972 Capri that I drove had manual steering. That car really did have very communicative steering. You really could feel the road.

Of course, there were all the bad things about it, too. That was a very light car by modern standards but when you were at a standstill the steering was quite heavy. By modern standards it was slow, very noisy, rode poorly, and got terrible fuel economy. It was also comparatively unreliable. The crash safety of that vehicle (particularly side impact) was basically non-existent.

@71montess those f***ing cars also caught on fire like probably at a rate 3 to 4 times greater than even the EVs and the other cars on the road today. Every friend that I have whose owned cars in that generation has a "my car caught on fire for no reason" story..... 🤣

My 1969 Plymouth RoadRunner burned to the ground when one of the carbs on it's 440 Magnum 6 pack got stuck and poured gas all over the engine. She went up like a roman candle. Still hurts to this day.

I swore it had some other Colt-era name. Like a Swan Rail or something. It was a Swan Something. (Dick Swan. ARMS. Inventor of the whole modern rail system.)

ARMS made its own version, but it wasn’t what was readily stocked in arms rooms and order-able via the Class IX supply system.

@71montess those f***ing cars also caught on fire like probably at a rate 3 to 4 times greater than even the EVs and the other cars on the road today. Every friend that I have whose owned cars in that generation has a "my car caught on fire for no reason" story..... 🤣
Boy oh boy you guys drove the shit boxes, yrs the handling was looser and the brakes were softer but with maintenance like shocks every now and then it was fine. I wasn't a sports car fan , I was a big block straight ahead driver . Loved my cruiser.

Back
Top Bottom