Springfield Armory and the milsurp bug

I started into milsurps at 13 myself, now at 14 I have somewhere over 15 milsurps plus my regular guns. My first milsurp was a DDR marked m44 and I still love it.

Be sure to let me know what else you've found interesting, M44!

Here's what we picked up today: Anthony's first milsurp!

mosinnagant.jpg

Russian Mosin Nagant, 1942. I don't know a lot about these, but I'll be finding out more. Looks like Izhevsk arsenal. Round receiver. Barrel, bolt, magazine and buttplate all have matching numbers. The wood is very, very pretty.

Came with what appears to be a period sling and ammo pouch.

I'll post some detail pictures in March Aquisitions when I get a chance. We're still wiping cosmoline off it.

HEY - Nice score! Every kid should have his own Mosin-Nagant!

Be sure to have the bayonet on when you go to the range. They were made to be shot that way. I'm sure you're going to give it a thorough cleaning, but pay special attention to cleaning out the bolt firing pin channel, and getting the chamber as clean as possible to reduce the chance of "sticky-bolt syndrome."

I've always found this site to be particularly helpful, especially the assembly/disassembly instructions on the right side.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/russianmosin189130/index.asp

Now go shoot that bad boy - and take some more pics!

I'm sure you're going to give it a thorough cleaning, but pay special attention to cleaning out the bolt firing pin channel, and getting the chamber as clean as possible to reduce the chance of "sticky-bolt syndrome."

Now go shoot that bad boy - and take some more pics!

Anthony's all over it right now with a box of q-tips. [wink]

Wow - having checked out the closeup pics in the New Acquisitions thread, that stock is gorgeous!

Your boy is lucky to have you as a father. Good job, Dad. [grin]

+1 - excellent! You are a good Dad! [cheers]

Use some brake cleaner, (non- chloronated) on the bolt and chamber. I use a Wal-Mart steamer and it works like a charm. The cosmolene just melts off...I have a good supply of 54R if you two want to go shooting...

We're still oogling this piece, and learning to take it apart. The whole family loves it.

JonJ, do you mean this?:

Enemy at the gates: The battle for Stalingrad
William Craig

I can get a copy for a buck at abe.com. Suddenly, I've taken to listening to the Soviet National Anthem, and feeling .... proud! Wow! Now I need a russian SKS ... and a few more Mosin Nagants!

We're still oogling this piece, and learning to take it apart. The whole family loves it.

JonJ, do you mean this?:

Enemy at the gates: The battle for Stalingrad
William Craig

I can get a copy for a buck at abe.com. Suddenly, I've taken to listening to the Soviet National Anthem, and feeling .... proud! Wow! Now I need a russian SKS ... and a few more Mosin Nagants!

I think he meant this.

Photo update:

The boys and I went out into the Russian winter (simulated in our back yard) this afternoon to try out the new rifle. We just fired off a few rounds to get the feel of it. Not as bad a recoil as we'd expected. But holy cow, what that round does to everything it hits.

You know how, in the movies, something blows up and pieces of it continue to fall for several minutes? Well, it was like that. I had opened the bolt to take a whiff (I'm like that) when the top of a soda bottle plunked down in the snow beside me. I thought, "where the heck did that come from?".

Next time we'll try at longer range, I think. This rifle is going to be a fun shooter. Somehow, the winter weather becomes it. Now we need a Finnish Mosin, for extreme cold.

mosinwinter.jpg

Back
Top Bottom