• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Springfield Armory 1911 DS Prodigy

Expecting a brand new gun that you've never seen or shot to be terrible based on a subjective "reputation" of a similar type of gun from 15 years ago, is rather ridiculous. And even more ridiculous when you consider any poor reputation 2011's ever had, hasn't existed in several years now. To the contrary, they have a great reputation. And the magazine issue also hasn't been a thing with newer mags and guns for several years too.

Expecting a brand new gun that you've never seen or shot to be terrible based on a subjective "reputation" of a similar type of gun from 15 years ago, is rather ridiculous. And even more ridiculous when you consider any poor reputation 2011's ever had, hasn't existed in several years now. To the contrary, they have a great reputation. And the magazine issue also hasn't been a thing with newer mags and guns for several years too.
My opinions are based on several things.
  1. My own bad experience with 2 Springfield guns.
  2. General reputation of 2011s. I disagree with your characterization of their current reliability and the need for tuning feedlips.
  3. Gunsmith Hilton Yam’s recent reviews of current Springfield 1911s. He is an expert 1911 gunsmith and he found a number of issues with their current guns.
So I’m skeptical that Springfield will build a good 2011 out of the box. Time will tell if I’m wrong. I’ve been wrong before.

You have your experience. I have mine. I won’t characterize your opinion as “ridiculous“ — you just have a different opinion and that’s OK.

Sure a $1200-1500 gun is cheap relative to a $4000-6000 gun, but it's still not cheap. And 2011's and the mags have come a long way from even a handful of years ago. I'll wager this will be a pretty solid pistol that works as well as any modern handgun.

When your talking infinity, atlas, triarc, Fowler ya those are a class of their own.

Even at $1500 you get an optics ready 2011, it will shoot fine and people will enjoy it. My only opinion is for the extra money I’d go staccato. But that’s just me.

Yup that’s the one. In my mind at $1500 for the gun. For another $500 you get a staccato. Even if it’s non optic ready you send it off the Vulcan gun works and get an optic cut for like $150ish. With codes (esp Labor Day codes I’ve seen) you can even get a non optic staccato P for $1800ish and it’s a much better quality.

Big Tex is running a 15% off Labor Day sale. Drops the price of a staccato P (non optic cut) to $17XX. DUO are out of stock

I will stick to my Staccato c2 for now. I have been looking at Vulcan for a while. I am pulling the trigger on these modifications.
  • Optic Milling Option Direct Mill - Trijicon RMRCC - BUIS Rear
  • Ignis Porting System *Staccato C2
  • Barrel Coating - TiN
  • Slide Coating DLC

I will stick to my Staccato c2 for now. I have been looking at Vulcan for a while. I am pulling the trigger on these modifications.
  • Optic Milling Option Direct Mill - Trijicon RMRCC - BUIS Rear
  • Ignis Porting System *Staccato C2
  • Barrel Coating - TiN
  • Slide Coating DLC
Solid upgrades. Looking forward to seeing it all done

People on NES like to b*tch and think any 1911 under $1,500 is sh*tty and anything under $1,000 is pure sh*t that can't shoot. When challenged they either can't provide a good reason or they tell us about their experience with the cheapest 1911 you can find that is known to have issues.

There are cheap 1911 that are sh*t. But there isn't a magic number that above it they are awesome and below it they are sh*t.

I will give my $850 Magnum Research 1911 to anyone that wants to put 1K rounds through it and let us know how sh*tty it is. I bet it won't have any issues. The first 500 rounds I put through it where all reloads, no issues, followed by 300 factory also no issues. I stopped counting after that.

And any 1911 over $1500 is a waste of money and a ripoff, and probably only gets shot once. "I want a Dodge Demon Hellcat for Ford Fusion money"
Its the n.e.s. way.

And any 1911 over $1500 is a waste of money and a ripoff, and probably only gets shot once. "I want a Dodge Demon Hellcat for Ford Fusion money"
Its the n.e.s. way.
My Wilson cost $1500 when I bought it well used. I’ve since put at lest 10,000 rounds through it. I love that gun.

Last edited:
Its the n.e.s. way.
I have Colt Custom Shop Commander RGZ, about 800-1000 rounds. NHC Counselor that has 1000 rounds through it. These are part of my EDC- I do not have any safe queens. Both I picked used.

People on NES like to b*tch and think any 1911 under $1,500 is sh*tty and anything under $1,000 is pure sh*t that can't shoot. When challenged they either can't provide a good reason or they tell us about their experience with the cheapest 1911 you can find that is known to have issues.

There are cheap 1911 that are sh*t. But there isn't a magic number that above it they are awesome and below it they are sh*t.

I will give my $850 Magnum Research 1911 to anyone that wants to put 1K rounds through it and let us know how sh*tty it is. I bet it won't have any issues. The first 500 rounds I put through it where all reloads, no issues, followed by 300 factory also no issues. I stopped counting after that.
MRI's gun is a lot better than a lot of other choices in that price class. Especially krapber.

Sure a $1200-1500 gun is cheap relative to a $4000-6000 gun, but it's still not cheap. And 2011's and the mags have come a long way from even a handful of years ago. I'll wager this will be a pretty solid pistol that works as well as any modern handgun.

For a 2011? I'm pretty skeptical. Most 2011s are f****** dumpster fires. Who else makes a good 2011 out of the box under 2 grand? RIA maybe? Years ago it was Para but we all knew how much those sucked.

[rofl]

Dude they still have a long way to go 2011 pretty much would f****** up on the line more than all other gun types combined.

We will see, but everytime someone says this I don't really believe it.

A $1500-2000 2011 that uses mags that cost under 50-60 bucks ea that don't have to be modified to make the gun work right?

Sure. And Spirit airlines will be on time and increase their seat pitch by 5 inches and not increase the price. 🤣

If this was attainable I'm surprised that there arent more vendors actually doing it.

Last edited:
just looks like a 100% showcase match for the thread:

Friend of mine who also shoots a lot of IDPA/USPSA had this to say on FB earlier ABEC13BD-2E1C-432D-9026-08557E6F806E.png

So to the average gun owner who shoots a few boxes a year it’s a no brainer. For the competition shooter, not sure lol.

After all the reviews, some have said it is a great way to get into 2011, and I agree.

Half way through he uses the slide release and says it will piss people off.

What is the big deal? ... is that something that passes off 1911 and 2011 owners?
I suspect he is referring to the folks who claim it is a slide stop, not a slide release, and that using it ”will get you killed in the street”, that real operators pull back on the slide instead.

I suspect he is referring to the folks who claim it is a slide stop, not a slide release, and that using it ”will get you killed in the street”, that real operators pull back on the slide instead.
The argument goes that under stress your fingers turn into flippers and the minute slide stop is easy to miss. The gross action of grabbing the slide is more reliable

Plus, pulling the slide back actually increases spring pressure which increases cycle reliability

I have yet to hear a valid point disputing those issues

The argument goes that under stress your fingers turn into flippers and the minute slide stop is easy to miss. The gross action of grabbing the slide is more reliable
Yeah, that’s bushwa. Sorry but this going to be a long off-topic rant.

The folks who coined that argument claim that hitting the slide stop is a “fine motor skill” and that grabbing the slide is a “gross motor skill” and that you lose fine motor skills in combat.

But there are several problems with that argument. The first is that they are using pseudo-scientific terms to try to give themselves increased authority. But they are using them incorrectly. The distinctions between gross and fine motor skills come from child development theory. By definition, gross motor skills involve the large muscles like the legs. By definition, fine motor skills involve the smaller muscles, like fingers and hands. So, using the term properly, pushing the slide stop is a fine motor skill. But so is grasping the slide and pulling it back.

The second problem is their claim that you won’t be able to hit the slide stop but you will be able to pull the slide back. But the proponents of this theory never offer any evidence to support it. I’ve competed in IDPA and USPSA for a number of years. I was a safety officer in IDPA for a number of years. No, competition isn’t the stress of a gunfight, but it certainly is stress. In all of that time, I’ve seen people screw up in a number of ways, but I’ve never seen someone miss the slide stop. Not once. I did see a master level shooter screw up pulling back on the slide twice in succession. His hand slid off his Glock 34 without pulling the slide back.

The third problem is that these folks assert that you will be able to pull the trigger and depress the magazine release (both fine motor skills) but you won’t be able to hit the slide stop. They never address that internal contradiction in their theory. Both methods work. The slide stop is faster. Choose one.

Last edited:
Yeah, that’s bushwa. Sorry but this going to be a long off-topic rant.

The folks who coined that argument claim that hitting the slide stop is a “fine motor skill” and that grabbing the slide is a “gross motor skill” and that you lose fine motor skills in combat.

But there are several problems with that argument. The first is that they are using pseudo-scientific terms to try to give themselves increased authority. But they are using them incorrectly. The distinctions between gross and fine motor skills come from child development theory. By definition, gross motor skills involve the large muscles like the legs. By definition, fine motor skills involve the smaller muscles, like fingers and hands. So, using the term properly, pushing the slide stop is a fine motor skill. But so is grasping the slide and pulling it back.

The second problem is their claim that you won’t be able to hit the slide stop but you will be able to pull the slide back. But the proponents of this theory never off any evidence to support it. I’ve competed in IDPA and USPSA for a number of years. I was a safety office in IDPA for a number of years. No, competition isn’t the stress of a gunfight, but it certainly is stress. In all of that time, I’ve seen people screw up in a number of ways, but I’ve never seen someone miss the slide stop. Not once. I did see a master level shooter screw up pulling back on the slide twice in succession. His hand slid off his Glock 34 without pulling the slide back.

The third problem is that these folks assert that you will be able to pull the trigger and depress the magazine release (both fine motor skills) but you won’t be able to hit the slide stop. They never address that internal contradiction in their theory. Both methods work. The slide stop is faster. Choose one.
Hogwash. If you think IDPA and USPSA is stressfull, you have a lot to learn about gunfighting.

On a stress scale between zero and 100 (combat) competition is about a 2.
Talk to me after you have been in combat.

Last edited:
My Opinion- If I am in a gun-shooting scenario and must reload, I am in deep shit. Or if I am in a gun-shooting scenario and my pistols jam, I rack, tap and bang.

Either way, I am FUBAR. I do not know how or what I would do under fire. I could fold into the fetal position. I am a slide release type person ( 2011 and 1911 are my EDC)

Hogwash. If you think IDPA and USPSA is stressfull, you have a lot to learn about gunfighting.

One a stress scale between zero and 100 (combat) competition is about a 2.
Talk to me after you have been in combat.
Ah, and there it is. The “if you haven’t been in combat …” crap.

Once again, just bald assertion, with no facts to support it. You claim that pulling back the slide is more error prone. OK, fine. Now provide some evidence to support that assertion. Have you done a random study, assigned some subjects to do it one way, some to do it another, trained them for a year, then put them under stress and counted the screwups for each technique? No, you haven’t.

Is the stress level of a competition anywhere near combat? I’m sure it’s not. But it is stress. Same with force on force.

I’ve watched thousands of shooters go through courses of fire. Some used the slide stop, some pulled back the slide. The only screw ups I ever saw were on a cold day when the shooter’s hands slipped off the slide while trying to pull it back.

Is the slide stop on some guns small enough that pulling back might be the better option? Sure, the standard Glock slide stop is a good example.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom