• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rock Island Armory ?

Anyone know anything about a Rock Island Armory 1911? Got a chance to buy one for just over $400. Too good to be true?

depends on the model and condition. could be a steal; could be too much.

they're plenty reliable for imported pistols.

There's a reason it is $400.00 ask yourself why? By the way that's too much for a used one.
You can get a new one for under $500. Granted some of the RIA stuff is better than others. But the bare Bones 1911 is certainly a sub $500 gun brand new. The only downside is I think they only come with one magazine. Without knowing what is on the gun for sights and grips and how many magazines what finish etc it's kind of hard to guess what it's worth. My wife has one and she likes it

About a year ago I grabbed a used GI STANDARD 5", mfg 2008, for $389, low to no round count. Came with 1 mag. I have bought several mags since and all work w/out issue (Chip McCormick, Wilson and Mec-Gar). I reload with mixed brass and also shoot cast (Hitek coated) and havent had any issues. I was nervous as many do shit on them but I have been happy. RIA frames are cast and slides are forged, some of the parts are MIM, unsure how that compares to the other manufacturers?

*edited for spelling

Last edited:
Parkerized, wood grips, service type sights(dovetail adjustable). Brand new. Not sure if it only comes with one mag or not.
Thanks for the info.
Yeah that sounds like the bare Bones 1911 as I said my wife has one it's a nice gun. The local gun store actually talked her out of a Remington and into the RIA. If it came with a few magazines and had a low round count and the finish was good I might go $400 on one but just a bare Bones one in the case with no add-ons I'd probably go buy a new one

I'd choose the Tisas...even less money, and better finished.

Both run good though nothing wrong with Rock Islands for a good general purpose occasional use 1911.
Tisas are painted, at least the RIA is blued or parkerized.
I'm on my second RIA because my brother loved my first one so I gave it to him and bought another.
I used to love shooting golf balls off the deck in the summer. Good pistol.
Changing the rips can change the entire look of that pistol.
I found some nice 100year old grips and put them on mine (as well as changed the main spring housing)
makes all the difference.
1911.jpg

RC

My buddy got the RIA 10mm (It's a 2011 style...) Doesn't work, nothing but failure to feed jams with all ammo. Then today I went into my favorite dealer and asked about RIA 5.0E and his response was "I won't carry anything RIA, I've had too many quality issues". So for pistols at least, It would be very hard for me to see myself giving them another chance. Now, their shotguns... I love the VR Series.

My first 1911 was an Auto Ordinance GI replica. I think I paid around $550 NIB. I did trade it in but ir ran well and never gave me issues. Just a thought

I have an older RIA 9mm fs tactical and it runs great. Only issue I had was the extractor had to be tuned a little but being a 70 series it only took me about 30 mins to get the tension right.

Back
Top Bottom