Spotting scope recommendation?

Hey all- I'll be getting a spotting scope soon and haven't the foggiest idea where to begin, as far as quality/pricing is concerned.

Application will be the NRA course (200-600y), F-Class (up to 1000y), and general long range outdoor shooting.

I realize that at 600+y I won't be able to see holes, but will need it for general scoring and fun with friends as we play scout/sniper ;)

I'm willing to spend on good equipment but not on overpriced/rich-boy taxed stuff.

Point is- if it's worth it, I'll pay the price.

So, any suggestions?

Two things.

Angled eyepiece for ease of viewing. Don't get a straight scope.

Long Eye Relief for the eyepiece. However I do know a couple of people that have good luck with eyepieces that don't have LER. Most of the eye pieces are about 24X - 27X. I don't think there is much need to go higher.

YMMV but Kowa is pretty good stuff. I'd keep an eye on e-bay for a used TSN1.

B

+1 Kowa TSN1

In spotting scopes you get what you pay for. You need a good scope and a good stand.

Can you talk about the advantages of the 27X LER vs. a variable eyepiece? Seems I'm losing out by not being able to change mag., but I'm curious what I get in return (long eye relief, etc.)

Thanks!

A fixed power eyepiece will result in clearer view, and better light transmission. You will not see bullet holes at long distances. You MIGHT see them at 200 if light conditions are perfect, and no mirage is running. Flourite coated lenses might make some difference if you're willing to pay $1000.00 plus for the scope. Don't forget the rigidity of the scope stand is part of that system too.

Big bang for the buck

I have an 80mm Celestron,(yes chinese but good quality)22-66 power angle eye piece.
I can see 22 holes at 200 yards, and no problem finding markers at 600. Got it online Adorama camera $ 158.00 free freight. I have friends with Liecas that were shocked at the clarity.

I have an 80mm Celestron,(yes chinese but good quality)22-66 power angle eye piece.
I can see 22 holes at 200 yards, and no problem finding markers at 600. Got it online Adorama camera $ 158.00 free freight. I have friends with Liecas that were shocked at the clarity.

I have heard the same thing from a friend I trust. I would just like to see it for myself. [grin]

Can you talk about the advantages of the 27X LER vs. a variable eyepiece? Seems I'm losing out by not being able to change mag., but I'm curious what I get in return (long eye relief, etc.)

Thanks!

I think the biggest thing is being able to see through the eyepiece without a crink in your neck from trying to get the eye relief just right. You can also get close enough to the eye piece without bumping your shooting glasses.

In some situations a variable eyepiece can let you see holes a little better than the LER one at 300 yards, but you still have the crink in your neck from trying to get the eye relief just right. At 600 or further you want to have a wide field of view, to view other targets and you need to focus the scope to see the mirage instead of the target. I think a good field of view is more important than the magnification of a variable. More powerful eyepieces are mostly for use at the 300 yard line in HP.

I agree that the scope is only part of it though. A solid stand is important.

B

+1 Kowa TSN1

In spotting scopes you get what you pay for. You need a good scope and a good stand.

+2 for the Kowa. I own one and have used it for Highpower Service Rifle matches up at Reading. The angled eye piece is an absolute must. You can make out the 223 holes from pretty far out. Not at 600 yrds though. I'd be highly doubtful of anyone that told me a scope could make out holes that small from that far away.

Remember though, you will also need to get a quality stand for the scope as well. A cheap stand will move to much and give you a hard time keeping you scope steady.

One question- I just got back from an optics store and checked out the Kowa 821 with the 20-60x and the 27X LER and could tell NO discernible difference in eye relief between the two. Thoughts?

Hmmm. Did some digging and found out that the 66mm scopes have eyepieces that are different. The LER for the 66 does have significantly more eye relief than the 770 & 880 eye piece. 32mm Vs. 16.5mm for the 66MM scopes and 23mm Vs. 17mm for the 77 & 88MM scopes.

I think you would notice the lack of LER more when you are in position with shooting glasses than when you are at the store looking at one. Also at some point personal preference takes over. The one that has to be happy with your purchase is you. I have a friend that uses a zoom on his.

YMMV

B

Why are some of you guys so focused on trying to see bullet holes? Unless you shoot at distances > 100 yards without pits (a rare situation), it is a non-issue. I know some guys try to scope their shots during rapid fire at the mag change, but I have never found value in that.

The best all around scope for highpower and other rifle disciplines that use marked targets is the Kowa 661 with a 25X LER eyepiece. The best value for $ is the 601 with the same eyepiece.

Hmmm. Did some digging and found out that the 66mm scopes have eyepieces that are different. The LER for the 66 does have significantly more eye relief than the 770 & 880 eye piece. 32mm Vs. 16.5mm for the 66MM scopes and 23mm Vs. 17mm for the 77 & 88MM scopes.

I think you would notice the lack of LER more when you are in position with shooting glasses than when you are at the store looking at one. Also at some point personal preference takes over. The one that has to be happy with your purchase is you. I have a friend that uses a zoom on his.

YMMV

B

bpm, two things-

1) interesting- given all this, then, which in these categories would you suggest:

http://www.kowascope.com/frontend/proddisp.asp?co=10000322

http://www.kowascope.com/frontend/proddisp.asp?co=10000309

Are the 66mm still close enough in quality to the 82mm? Because I'm thinking the cost and weight of the 66 might make them more ideal.

2) Re: LER, the difference in the two eyepieces was actually 32mm vs. 15mm (remember this was the 82mm, not the 88mm):

http://www.opticsplanet.net/kowa-interchangeable-eyepieces-for-82mm-spotting-scopes.html

Yet I still saw little difference. Strange....

I've never lacked for mirage information using a 60 mm TSN-601.

Get a TSN 601 or 661 with an LER occular and spend the rest of the money that would have been blown on a bigger scope on ammo. Shooting is the only way to get good at this. Obsessively worrying about 20 mm of more objective lens on a scope is not.

None of these concerns held me back from making Master in three HP disciplines and won't hold me back from making HM either.

Last edited by a moderator:
22 holes at 200 yrds

I like to shoot the indoor/outdoor 200 yard matches at Woburn Club. Course of fire 20 offhand shots at single target, no spotters. I can see 22 holes with my cheapy scope at 200 and make sight corrections as i go. You are absolutely right when you state nothing beats trigger time, but if your finances are very limited as mine some of the inexpensive stuff available will work. This frees more money for ammo.

One question- I just got back from an optics store and checked out the Kowa 821 with the 20-60x and the 27X LER and could tell NO discernible difference in eye relief between the two. Thoughts?

What were you looking at? Looking at the other side of the store is perhaps different than looking down a 600 yard range.

Are the 66mm still close enough in quality to the 82mm? Because I'm thinking the cost and weight of the 66 might make them more ideal.

I honestly have no idea but I don't think you would be poorly served by the 66. I'd base my choice by what the posters above said about the scopes they used. I've only used a TSN 1 and I shot for several years with a $200 Simmons straight eyepiece scope that worked well enough. When I stepped up to the 45 degree LER eyepiece on a Kowa I thought it was a real luxury.

After looking at the price of the larger ones, I'd get the 66 or the one under it (the 601 I think) and a nice scope stand by Ray-Vin and have money left over. I also think I'd pass on the coated lens.

B

You are on the right track

[grin]Looks like everyone has steered you in the right direction,
The 27x LER is great for Positional shooting. You don't need to have your eye pressed against the eye piece, you can also where safety glasses or your prescription eyewear if needed. I have an adjustable eyepiece also that I use for long range “stuff” also, it is clear and easy to you and remove, but with it zoomed all the way in you have to have a scope with a large objective, I have the 82mm Kowa. It is a great scope that will take a beating. If you do get a scope go to your local camera shop and get a “Clear filter” for $20. When the sand and dusk are blowing around it will keep it off the “Expensive Lens”
Another site you can try is Jim Owens, he has scopes Kowa's and others, but he will buy it back if you do like it in a year or if you want to up grade. He is an honest guy who will give you a fair price.
As for Ray-Vin, I have almost every piece of equipment the man makes; he and his wife are by far two of the three nicest people you will ever deal with or speak to in the High-power industry. The other is Bob Jones, of www.bjonessights.com another true gentleman and honest man. Well that is my 2cents. Hope it helped, shoot straight and shoot often.
Semper Fi
Tackleberry

Back
Top Bottom