Spfld Armory EMP-9mm

The problem with the EMP is it was always an answer to a question nobody asked. And for weirdos that want a weird gun like this, Sig sort of outdid SA with the P938.

Agree that your carry gun is a tool and as such needs to be a gun you can shoot well. I don’t shoot any of the light weight guns very well. They may be easier to carry, but I just don’t shoot them as well as a slightly heavier gun (particularly on followup shots). That’s why I ended up with the P229, I just shoot it better than anything else I tried. Right now the EMP is giving the P229 a run for its money in terms of my ability to shoot it well. It all comes down to what works for you.

Cathouse - I've been competing and instructing for the better part of 30 years.

I'm not in any way saying that I'm any good. Just that I'm experienced.

And also that I've taught a lot of people to shoot and seen the trouble that shooters of all skill levels have as well as what helps them to solve their troubles.

I've found that its usually not the weight that matters (particularly for follow up shots) but rather is the size.

A gun with a grip that is full length is easier to shoot well than a gun with a short grip. That pinky makes a difference. Even if the shorter gun is heavier. A longer grip lets you better counter the twist introduced by an imperfect trigger press. It also lets you manage recoil better.

Which gets me to the P365 specifically. I did not want to like the P365. I liked my carry Glocks as well as my G34 and 1911s.
I don't like most Sig handguns.

But the 365 was a revelation. Not because it holds 4 more rounds than my G43. But because it is the easiest small gun to shoot fast that I've ever used.

Which leads to one more point. We've both used the term "shoot well". I think we both agree that shooting well means different things depending on the situation.

My high end 1911s will all make one ragged hole at 7 yards if shot slowly. I shoot them better this way than any other type of gun.

But when it comes to IDPA or steel shooting, I shoot my Glock 34 better than any 1911 I own.
Defensive shooting is all about getting as much lead down range as possible with enough accuracy to hit a vital zone. The P365, and particularly the XL seems to defy the laws of physics when used this way.

Finally - when we talk grip length, when we're talking about the ability to resist muzzle flip, we are really talking about front strap length. Nobody publishes front strap length for the EMP or the P365 XL, but if you look at the high undercut on a 365, its obvious that the frontgrip strap length is greater, which gives more room for a pinky and better leverage to resist muzzle flip.

If you are at all curious about lightening the load of your current Sig, I'd strongly suggest you give the XL a try.

Must admit I’ve not tried the 365XL. You comments on grip length make sense. The P229 is a Legion and does have a high undercut also, so that might be one reason I shoot it better (and just to be clear”better” and “well” for me is still pretty poor). I do think extra mass helps me in rapid fire, but it might just be my mental bias showing. I have small hands, so both the P229 and the EMP give me more than enough room for a full grip. I have notice that anything smaller, where my pinky is off the grip, is just too small for me. I do like the slim grip of the EMP (or any single stack), again due to my hand size. And for slow fire, believe it or not I am most accurate with my P220 Elite 10MM, which is a pretty large gun. I am a bit of a Sig fan, so it actually is surprising that I haven’t tried the 365.

Back
Top Bottom