• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Southborough Rod and Gun Club

Loved this club when I took my Black powder course. Very friendly people and they were really open to showing me the shack. Got to play with some of the Ham stuff, and really great people. Hmmm Maybe time to get a membership there. Radios, guns and a place for my daughter to learn to shoot. Sound like a winner.

Hawkchucker (I'm guessing that it's tomahawks, not birds, right? [smile])

SRGC has a very active Junior program - we have Junior Rifle for both competition and beginning shooters, and a very strong junior Trap Program:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php/89868-ATA-AIM-Trap-Shooting-Program

You don't mention your daughter's age, but IMO it's never too young to get the basics ( especially safety) down.

If you'd like to see more of the facilities, Trap and Skeet are open to the public on Sundays, from 1-4 and there are generally folks able to give you the nickel tour!

We also have a Primitive Camp that might be along your lines....

if you want more info, PM me back!

I was just looking at those pink 22's for my 9year old. Figured after shes too big, the 7 year old gets it, then the 4 year old...I have been considering joining the club lately, I am going to wait until after my hunters safety course up there in March to really get a feel for the club then I will work the budget to try and squeeze it in there. Looking forward to it!

Army Guy,

Feel free to come on out on a sunday, when we're doing the Trap and Skeet thing, to check the place out.

We're also having a Porketta on Feb 13, ($ 15, all you can eat) if you want to meet a bunch of the folks, and a Valentines' Day Trap shoot on ....wait for it.....the 14th! [smile]

If you want an overview of what's happening, our meetings (3rd Tuesday, 7:30 ) are open to guests.

Myself and Kid Presentable will be around the club tomorrow afternoon most likely on the rifle range and possibly indoor range. I might just make it up the hill depending on how cold it is. Send me a PM if anyone wants a tour as we will be more than happy to show people around.

I was just looking at those pink 22's for my 9year old. Figured after shes too big, the 7 year old gets it, then the 4 year old...I have been considering joining the club lately, I am going to wait until after my hunters safety course up there in March to really get a feel for the club then I will work the budget to try and squeeze it in there. Looking forward to it!

When the 9 year old gets too big for the Henry, Ruger makes the 10/22 in pink.

Just wanted to leave a note here about the club. Went there today and MrHappy spent the hour and a half(when he should have been doing the trap shoot) to show the place to me and give me the nickle tour. The club is an incredible place and if the members are as helpful and friendly as Mike.... Well this is the club. Decided to attend the next meeting and put in my application, and maybe even do some trap next weekend.

If you have kids, this place is the balls! and a very safe secure place for families to go to. Thanks again Mike.

Just wanted to leave a note here about the club. Went there today and MrHappy spent the hour and a half(when he should have been doing the trap shoot) to show the place to me and give me the nickle tour. The club is an incredible place and if the members are as helpful and friendly as Mike.... Well this is the club. Decided to attend the next meeting and put in my application, and maybe even do some trap next weekend.

If you have kids, this place is the balls! and a very safe secure place for families to go to. Thanks again Mike.

agree 100%

See you at the meeting!

I have been a member at SRG for 15 years and it is a very family friendly place. I bring my 3 and 5yo there all the time they love it! I cant drive by without my son asking to stop in and see "the guys"

I just got a letter today, I have been accepted to the club. [smile] I'll be at the meeting next week to make it official. [wink]

Welcome to both of you!

If you're in the mood for food, Dinner starts at 6:00, the meeting, at 7:30
This will be an excellent time to sign the Blood Oath to the Trap Committee, too! [smile]

To all and sundry that may be intersted in the Club, the meeting is open to visitors - it's a great way to find out what SRGC's all about.

just my 2 cents.. i joined SRaG about a year ago, and have loved my time there, very friendly and welcoming peope not over crowded, atleast when i have used the range, really a great place

I used to be a member from the early 90's to early 00s. It was a fun place and I felt comfortable there. I shot with the current secretary at the high power competitions. The fight with the country club has always been there. They would freak every time a riccoched bullet would land on the greens. What's with the "no sunday shooting"? I used to love some late sunday morning target.

sunday shoots are a go now. most of the CMP matches are on sundays now...the next Garand shoot is april 11th 10AM...you should come shoot and check out the new outdoor range

Do they still supply the ammo or was that just the DCM (CMP?) shoots? I'd have to scrape together all my stuff that has since scattered!!!

Do they still supply the ammo or was that just the DCM (CMP?) shoots? I'd have to scrape together all my stuff that has since scattered!!!

Just a heads-up...the Club will most likely have ammo for the shoot. To be sure, go to the club's website: www.srgclub.com and email the Rifle Chairman ( off the Committee tab). If you bring your own, please be advised that the latest batch sold by the CMP is no good at SRGC - the bullets don't pass the "magnet" test for use. Steel jacket is not permitted.

After your rifle shoot, come on up the Hill and shoot some Trap! [smile]

Really? I've seen some ammo sites that talk about ammo being magnet attractive. Is this a big thing these days? I don't really understand as steel degrades and disappears pretty fast.

Don't know if it's a "big thing".
Different ranges have different rules - AFAIK, the theory is that the steel jacket has a higher chance to ricochet (not sure if it's true...can't see that it would make much difference.... but that's the basis at some places.)

IIRC, out west, the no-steel-jacket was a fire-prevention strategy -a steel jacket striking a rock could, in theory, strike a spark.

Back
Top Bottom