sources for GOOD .303 british ammo

NES,

i think i'd like to finally get a No4 Mk1 Enfield. does anyone have a good source for .303 Brit? i am a bit concerned about mail-order for fear of getting a box of loose corroded cartridges. there is a little milsurp around at local gun shop, but not an endless supply. i have heard the India-made stuff is pretty bad....oh, and what kind of prices are you finding locally? thanks
-rob

You've picked a tough round. I'm always on the lookout and almost never see it anymore. I picked up two boxes at the shop in Pepperell a couple of weeks ago and he had to rummage around in the basement to find them. I think they were $15 each.

I always pick some up if I see it at Gun Shows. Four Seasons supposedly had some a while ago, but it was gone by the time I got up there. Collector's in Stoneham did have some several months back. They have a lot of MilSurps, so it might be worth giving them a call to see if they found more.

Gary

We have 3 cases of 303 at Zero Hour arms............but you asked for GOOD ammo didn't you....
The stuff we have is surplus cordite ammo, 32 round boxes at roughly 11.00 a box give or take.

Not the best stuff you can buy that's for sure!

Surplus is a gamble but it all goes bang... in some cases like Indian it eventually does.[laugh]
There is some good surplus Brit stuff out there. The HXP headstamp stuff is also good and pretty hot I might add. My Enfields shoot high when using it. I found that at M&Ms in Plymouth and at a few gun shows.
My best experience has been using Remington 303 soft point. Old green and yellow box. Whatever that load was made from was magic for great groups in all my Enfields.
I bought some reloads from Allen at http://qmmo.net/ that he said should work well when I described my success with the Remington stuff. Price was great and he keeps it low by asking if buyers can return the brass when they are done shooting the ammo. I fully intend to do so once I get my lazy ass to the range to try it out.[wink]
There are a few commercial brands out there if you can find it. Wolf Gold is pretty good and so is S&B. I'm just glad I don't have a Bren or else I'd be spending $$$$ on 303 ammo!

Remington UMC FMJ was available at Collectors when I went looking for it. The brass is fire-formed (the neck doesn't expand til firing which probably hurts reloadability a bit) but it shoots nicely and is clean.

Back
Top Bottom