Source for tri-corner hat?

StevieP

NES Member
At the GOAL rally last week I enjoyed seeing some of you guys wearing tri-corner (tricorn) hats, evoking revolutionary Patriotic imagery.

Anyone got a source for a decent one? I don't want a cheapy felt costume hat. I'd like something a little more traditional, that could be worn to 2A rallies, Patriots games, etc.

Maybe everyone in our "NES Militia" could get one...

This is the place for entry-level reenactor grade stuff. (Meaning, it might not always be perfectly authentic to the smallest detail, but is generally much better made than costume shop stuff expected to last just for the night)

Jas. Townsend and Son, Inc. - Men's Hats

If you want high end, you might want to talk with this gentleman -
18th Century Hats from Dirty Billy's Hats

Just say "decently prosperous New England farmer, c. 1775" when he asks what style you're going for. :)

If you want high end, you might want to talk with this gentleman -
18th Century Hats from Dirty Billy's Hats

Just say "decently prosperous New England farmer, c. 1775" when he asks what style you're going for. :)

These hats are pretty awesome! I like the authentic look much better over the standard costume style hats. Do you have any idea about how much he charges for these hats?

new_hat.jpg

Well, I finally got it, and figured I'd close the loop on this thread.

I visited my father in Hanover, PA back in MAY, and while there drove over to Dirty Billy's Hats in Gettysburg on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. We chatted about what I wanted. He wrote some notes, measured my head, took my debit card info, and then I waited. And waited. And waited some more. Seems they got backed up with the Gettysburg 150th, and some other special events (Chickamauga?), and then he got sick, and his mother had a fall, and his dog died and, and, and excuse after excuse after excuse.

Whatever. I like the hat. It's the style I wanted (not too frilly, big, or pirate-like). Basic black along the lines of what an 18th century Patriot might wear, using materials such as they had at the time. Very authentic. Total was $160 including next-day shipping (after seven months waiting, apparently it was necessary to rush ship it???). It's custom-made, and fits my head perfectly.

See you at the next Patriots game, or pro-2A rally!

Back
Top Bottom