Sorry to admit this...

The SCA uses the honor system for their "sword" combat. "Rhino hiders" tend to be self correcting... if they guy refuses to acknowledge your blow (and this is with a rattan "sword" - basically about like getting hit with a baseball bat!), you just hit him again... harder.

You get someone start to ignore your shots? Start putting them into his crotch. Over and over again. I'll bet that he straightens up quickly. Once he gets out of the curled up position of pain that he'll be in, that is. [laugh]

At an airsoft game in Rockingham NH once a few years ago, a well hidden marksman was putting 8mm rounds (the big ones) into me from a bolt action rifle while I was taking cover from fire from the rest of his team. He told me after the game that he had shot me three or four times in the side and back and was pissed at me because I wasn't acknowledging the hits, so he shot me in the head. He hit me right in the center of the back of my head and I thought someone had come up behind me and smacked me with a brick. I called out after that!

After the game, I had to convince the guy that I wasn't cheating, I just didn't feel the shots through my vest and the adrenaline.

Most of the guys I played with were good as far as the honor system goes. Every now and then there was some shady d-bag but he would get shunned pretty quick once people got wind of his cheating.

Airsoft and BB guns are like riding a Moped - an awful lot of fun until your friends see you.

There's another part of that line, but I'm choosing to keep this clean...

At an airsoft game in Rockingham NH once a few years ago, a well hidden marksman was putting 8mm rounds (the big ones) into me from a bolt action rifle while I was taking cover from fire from the rest of his team. He told me after the game that he had shot me three or four times in the side and back and was pissed at me because I wasn't acknowledging the hits, so he shot me in the head. He hit me right in the center of the back of my head and I thought someone had come up behind me and smacked me with a brick. I called out after that!
I rest my case.

I owe all of my combat knowledge to two things-

1) playing airsoft with my sisters in Maine
2) watching GI Jane over and over again

I used to be big into airsoft but have since sold everything I had with the exception of my M249 (anyone interested?). Its a great piece but I need the money for school.

Airsoft can be wicked fun when people are honest. Definitely need to wear your eye protection, though.

A buddy of mine bought an airsoft L96 that shot 500+ FPS. Thing ****ing hurt like hell when it hit you just right.

Anybody have suggestions on where to find the "quality" airsoft guns? I have thought about getting them in the past to use as training aids but usually spent the money on real guns instead.

Don't know anything about airsoft - so I don't know who makes the quality stuff.

Echo1 and JG make solid entry-level automatic electric guns (AEGs) for pretty reasonable prices. I'd highly recommend Echo1's G36 as a starter gun.

Buy from www.airsoftgi.com. Their prices aren't spectacular but their service is probably the best you'll find online.

If you're looking to take a drive out to Western Mass, there's a guy that runs a shop called Federal Airsoft out of his garage in Belchertown.

Or I've got two Airsoft guns I've been thinking about selling. If anyone is interested, feel free to PM me.

I've never been to Federal Airsoft (A&A in NH was closer), but I've bought stuff from him before at events at Tolland. He sells quality airsoft guns. If you're seriously looking for a decent gun, I would recommend him. You won't find a good airsoft gun at a sporting goods store.

My son (13) has a pistol and a rifle airsoft. I see what his friends do and I have pounded into him the fact he should treat them like the real thing and he does around me. I just hope I have made enough sense that he doesn't do anything stupid. BTW I'm guilty of picking them up once or twice----ahhhh maybe more.

My son (13) has a pistol and a rifle airsoft. I see what his friends do and I have pounded into him the fact he should treat them like the real thing and he does around me. I just hope I have made enough sense that he doesn't do anything stupid. BTW I'm guilty of picking them up once or twice----ahhhh maybe more.

I +1 rep you for that. As I stated earlier in thread, Airsoft has been a great training tool for the kids. My 8 yr old respects all firearms and has learned safe handling through airsoft.

Plus being in MA and in a development....nothing beats airsoft for some target practice.

I never understood the firearm enthusiast communities hatred toward airsoft. If you don't think a fully automatic BB gun is a total gas, you're too damn old! I would have killed to have one of these things when I was a kid. My friends and I had to resort to shooting each other with actual BB guns... which is only really fun up until the first or second major injury then your sense of mortality tends to start kicking in.

As strange as it may sound, if you get a good quality airsoft gun it is almost like giving the real deal a test run in how it would feel to shoulder/draw the real thing. I got hooked on the feel of a Beretta M92f through airsoft, as well as the M4 with collapsible stock, flat top reciever, etc. Having the ability to use the guns in a way that you are simply not standing still and firing at a piece of paper, lets you get a better feel for a given style of weapon. I can honestly say that playing airsoft has vastly improved my ability to quickly acquire a target with both a rifle and a pistol. Since all the guns are 1:1 scale and exact replicas you get to use them in a more involved way than going to the range. As others have mentioned they do make great training aids for younger kids, and even adults that may be more squeamish around the real deal. Come to think of it, there was one girl that I introduced to shooting first with my M4 airsoft gun. She asked if she could go to the range with me which is where I moved her up to a 22 rifle. If you have kids that use them as toys, be sure as mentioned above that they treat them like the real thing, not just because they hurt, but because they can easily be mistaken for the real thing by a cop who feels threatened.

Dan

It's 100% honor system. Unfortunatly, the few times I've played there was very little honor involved on the other players parts. [frown]

I'll stick to paintball. Very little risk of this being mistaken for a real gun:

not to get too far off topic, and maybe i should've just pm'd you...you play tournaments at all? woods player/airball player?

I never understood the firearm enthusiast communities hatred toward airsoft. If you don't think a fully automatic BB gun is a total gas, you're too damn old! I would have killed to have one of these things when I was a kid. My friends and I had to resort to shooting each other with actual BB guns... which is only really fun up until the first or second major injury then your sense of mortality tends to start kicking in.

[rofl][rofl][laugh2]

Probably because most of the airsoft commandos have never used a real firearm. Much like the paintballers. I wouldn't be opposed to trying airsoft with a bunch of gun guys. I know the Marines train with them, but I will never attempt to train with a bunch of guys who don't know a thing about firearms but are shooting pellets at 500fps.

Brent talked me in to playing paintball when I was home on leave once. After being hit by my own teammates a couple of times in the face I quickly realized it was better left for the kids before I broke someones neck. [thinking]

Probably because most of the airsoft commandos have never used a real firearm. Much like the paintballers. I wouldn't be opposed to trying airsoft with a bunch of gun guys. I know the Marines train with them, but I will never attempt to train with a bunch of guys who don't know a thing about firearms but are shooting pellets at 500fps.

Brent talked me in to playing paintball when I was home on leave once. After being hit by my own teammates a couple of times in the face I quickly realized it was better left for the kids before I broke someones neck. [thinking]

Exactly, it isn't towards the idea of airsoft itself, it is towards the general airsoft community/culture that gun enthusiasts have a problem. Airsoft with a bunch of gunowners would be far more enjoyable IMO. They shoot a projectile at some fair velocities and should be treated as such. Most everyone I've met thats been into airsoft would tell a story about shooting someone on their bare skin on purpose to see what kind of welt it would leave... [rolleyes] no thanks I don't need to hang around those kind of people.

Back
Top Bottom