Sorry to admit this...

So I'm on vacation in the Cape with another family. The husband in that family bought his air-soft DPMS with him. I'm sorry to admit this but I actually had fun. No, I'm not going to exchange the real thing for an airsoft. But being able to practice and shread a cardboard box in your backyard does have a certain appeal to it.

I don't like them because of the kids I know who play. They think guns are toys, killing is cool, and are just wannabe baddass GI Joes.
I see most (not all), airsoft players as fools with a death wish. Go anywhere in public, or where anyone can see you, with an airsoft gun, and you could get shot. For real.

A while back I use to play paintball for 4 years or so but because a box of 2000 paintballs cost 50-60 dollars my friends and I decided to switch to airsoft. Now I obviously shoot the real deal and airsoft is by no means a substitute but it is pretty damn fun when you play it like paintball. Instead of paying 50-60 dollars for 2000 rounds I was paying 8 bucks for something along the lines of 10,000. We went all out on the guns, I have an M4 with select fire and can empty a 130 round mag in just under 10 seconds.

However I have seen other people that like airsoft treat it as mentioned above and act really stupid carrying it around etc. They are 1:1 scale replicas and if the owner is in fact dumb enough to remove the mandatory orange tip that is how accidents happen. There are countless stories of cops pulling up on a call where someone believes there to be a kid with a gun, the kid acting like a moron points the airsoft gun at the officer and BANG... We all know how that turns out, two lives ruined for the price of one toy.

As far as the fun stuff goes, being able to play with a full auto anything in the state of MA is entertaining. Not many people recognize that even though they are "toys" airsoft guns do pack a punch and can cause some serious damage if not handled with care. When I first got my M4 in the mail from Japan my friend wanted to know how much it hurt. He walked about 15 feet away and stuck out his arm. He now has a permanent scar in the shape of a perfect circle on his forearm. The M4 fires at 400 fps and can shoot straight though both sides of a soda can at close range. It makes a great way to kill time in the yard and is quite accurate up to around 50 yards.

If anyone is interested in further details just ask, can also post some pics of them when I get home from vacation.

They're fine as long as you don't let them be a safety liability. Had my girlfriends nephew at the range last weekend and he's an 'airsoft warrior'. Had to watch him very closely to keep things safe, unfortunately....

I'm ordering an airsoft M&P to train with a couple of like minded guys. It's time to take it up another notch by introducing the physical aspect of a confrontation at close range into the equation as well as seeing how one's techniques stand up to a thinking adversary vs a piece of cardboard.

I'm ordering an airsoft M&P to train with a couple of like minded guys. It's time to take it up another notch by introducing the physical aspect of a confrontation at close range into the equation as well as seeing how one's techniques stand up to a thinking adversary vs a piece of cardboard.

I Totally agree with this statement, I see how it could be good for training, they (the guns) just cost so damn much.

I Totally agree with this statement, I see how it could be good for training, they (the guns) just cost so damn much.
compared to real ammo, they are nuttin... [thinking]

Of course, without recoil, hard to practice real shot placement at speed...

Not a problem for the "switched on, low drag, warrior" I suppose. [laugh]

How do you agree with each other that you've been hit when playing combat games? With paintball, you at least have a bit splotch on you. What about airsoft; I'm guessing it is the honor system if the shooter didn't actually see the shot bounce off you?

How do you agree with each other that you've been hit when playing combat games? With paintball, you at least have a bit splotch on you. What about airsoft; I'm guessing it is the honor system if the shooter didn't actually see the shot bounce off you?
Everyone strips down, and while they are lathering eachother up, they look for bruises in the shower... [rofl]

Sorry, couldn't be helped...

It's 100% honor system. Unfortunatly, the few times I've played there was very little honor involved on the other players parts. [frown]

I'll stick to paintball. Very little risk of this being mistaken for a real gun:
Black%20Invert%20Mini%2017485.jpg

I agree with most of the other posters. They are good guns for cheap practice, but treat them as real guns and don't try for a Rambo wannabe.

Another good point, they don't need cleaning (although strangely I do find cleaning guns somewhat thereputic).

After much messing around with my iPhone and Photobucket here're some pics.

25a69bfe.jpg

20b3f455.jpg

Last edited:
So I'm on vacation in the Cape with another family. The husband in that family bought his air-soft DPMS with him. I'm sorry to admit this but I actually had fun. No, I'm not going to exchange the real thing for an airsoft. But being able to practice and shread a cardboard box in your backyard does have a certain appeal to it.

Nothing to be ashamed about...most know I own plenty of the real MG's, but I also have an airsoft MP5 and M3 Greasegun (and recently saw they make an MP44 now too [grin]). Sure they aren't as much fun as shooting up old cars with the real thing, but can't complain about being able to tear up tin cans and such in my basement or backyard, for basicly free...especially right now with ammo prices gone wild, punchin paper at the range gets really expensive really fast...

ok,

first off I have 3 full auto NFA machine guns. A Ruger AC556K, a MAC 10 .45acp and an Uzi 9mm. I bring those guns to the range a few times a year and to a few Machine gun shoots as well. As much as I love those guns I would not trade my airsoft guns for anything. They are a blast.
I have an AK47 and a Vietnam era M60 (pig) and you know what, my Son and I run around the yard and blast away and have a ball. Mine shoot at about 450 FPS and that is ripping for a plastic bb pellet gun.

The nice thing about airsoft is, they look and sound cool and they actually are awesome training aids. We use them from time to time at work for tactical training because they are very effective training tools and when you get the real good quality ones, they freakin hurt.

I wish we had airsoft when I was a kid. I would have had to skip school every day and play.

nothing to be ashamed of for liking and enjoying airsoft. They are a blast.

Rob

be careful with Jose's advice. Next thing he will tell you to take your photos from downrange during live fire excercises [rolleyes][rolleyes]

Does anyone make an airsoft M&P compact yet? Training force on force with full contact is a HUGE eye opener.

There used to be a guy in Western Mass. who had airsoft "games", and also did croquet. I can't for the life of me remember his name.

Don't be ashamed. [smile] I have airsoft guns too, & I like being able to do some target shooting in my living room.

It's not quite the same as the real thing, but it is pretty freakin' fun.

According to the NEASG forum, Tolland is closed for gaming now. Seems a fire got started and the town closed Joe down for airsoft use. Pity...

Joe R.

That is a total bummer. I always wanted to get out there and play.
I hear that a few groups are running some great games at Bridgewater.

oh... and I do love my FA 249-Para and various M4's

Heh... I was plinking with my air rifle in the garage last night. Old cigar box stuffed with steel wool and some waste wood for a backstop, bottle caps for targets. The embarrassment is the only downside!

It's 100% honor system. Unfortunatly, the few times I've played there was very little honor involved on the other players parts.
The SCA uses the honor system for their "sword" combat. "Rhino hiders" tend to be self correcting... if they guy refuses to acknowledge your blow (and this is with a rattan "sword" - basically about like getting hit with a baseball bat!), you just hit him again... harder.

You get someone start to ignore your shots? Start putting them into his crotch. Over and over again. I'll bet that he straightens up quickly. Once he gets out of the curled up position of pain that he'll be in, that is. [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom