Son's first night with the Junior Rifle Club

fencer

NES Member
Alright, I know pride is a sin, but I gotta share this with the forum.

My club offers a Junior Rifle club absolutely free to everyone, not just members. When I say free, I mean totally free. You can just bring the kid. The supply eyes and ears, ammo and these sweet 22 Russian bolt rifles, and competition targets.

The guy that runs the program is a former Army RSO and instructor and he pretty much started this program so that local Boy Scouts can earn their merit badge, and after going tonight, I can see why he does it, because it was a blast.

OK, so my son is in fourth grade and turns 10 at the end of January. I started him with a pellet gun when he was 6. He got his first rifle at Christmas last year, but he has never had any formal instruction. Dad taught me to shoot, and I got a few pointers in boot, so I think I've done a pretty good job with the basics.

So my boy tells the instructor that he has never fired a bolt action rifle. He asks him if he know the safety rules and without a pause, Jake answers " Always assume every firearm is loaded, don't point the muzzle at anything you are not willing to destroy, know your target and what is behind it, and keep your booger hook off the bang switch until you are ready to shoot." My head swells with pride.

So, to the bench he goes, and the RSO spends a couple of minutes with him and put the block with 15 rounds in front of him and says "Fire 5 and we ill bring the target back and see how you did". So I am watching him and he seems a bit shaky and i figure he's just a little nervous, new gun etc.
The indoor range is only 50 and he is shooting at one of the small circles, that is what, maybe 3" across. He puts all five down range and i don't see a single hit and neither does he. We bring the target back and as the paper gets closer, with the light behind it, we can see the hits. His eyes start to light up and we grab the target and there it is. A 2" group. Holy Shit! Once again, my head swells with pride.
That was the start of about 2 hours of the best range trip I have ever had. There were 6 other kids there and Jake had a total blast. We brought his 22 lever and his new M&P 15-22 and a few of his new friends shot them and so did the Instructor.
I have never shot fewer round and such a good time. Jake runs into the house, target in had and pukes the whole story to Mom, full auto, and I am just smiling.
Being a Dad is the second best thing in the world, being a Dad that shoots with his kid is the first.

I've got a couple rifles to clean.[smile]

Kid time on the range

keep your booger hook off the bang switch until you are ready to shoot.

[laugh2][laugh2] Beautiful!

Good on you Dad.

It was over 18 years ago that my two guys got there.

BTW, they used to run a one week Olympic shooting sports training for Juniors at Camp Curtis Guild (sp?) in Reading each summer. Ask around and see if that program is still running.

[laugh2][laugh2] Beautiful!

Good on you Dad.

It was over 18 years ago that my two guys got there.

BTW, they used to run a one week Olympic shooting sports training for Juniors at Camp Curtis Guild (sp?) in Reading each summer. Ask around and see if that program is still running.

Congrats to the OP.

GOAL runs a Summer Camp that includes shooting and other things. The OP might check with Jon Green for details.

You should be proud, thanks for sharing with us and congrats to your son on some fine shooting.

Don't apologize for having pride in your kid's accomplishment! That's the payback for all the trouble that they give you! [rofl]

Way to go you him and you!

At our Club we have the same sort of deal (non-members pay ~$25 for the season's shooting), and it's a good thing in this day and age where it's dificult to learn as most of us did, fighting the Can Army in the back yard.

I hope that you don't have to keep it "secret" - my son wears his rifle and handgun qualificaton patches to school.

You don't mention in your post if the Club has the NRA Qualification Program for the kids - it's a great motivator for the shooters, they love getting the "next level"

http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/marksmanship/index.asp

Last edited:
So my boy tells the instructor that he has never fired a bolt action rifle. He asks him if he know the safety rules and without a pause, Jake answers " Always assume every firearm is loaded, don't point the muzzle at anything you are not willing to destroy, know your target and what is behind it, and keep your booger hook off the bang switch until you are ready to shoot." My head swells with pride.

[rofl]
I love that he said that to the RSO

Very cool!!! What club is it?

We are members of Ames Rifle and pistol club in Easton Ma. It's a great club. 300 yard heated range, 100 yard covered range, reactive pistol range with heated enclosure and a 24/7 indoor range. And it is affordable. I am also a member at AFS but I don't plan on renewing. Afs is a beautiful facility, and there are some decent guys that work there, but it is usually packed and just has the one indoor range.

Here is a short video of Jake shooting out the door on the 300 yard range. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw-zZbDj8HA. That was another great day. I was shooting my Rem 700 - 308 at the bench and we set up some targets at close range to do some pistol shooting

This morning before I left for work Jake was rubbing the sleep out of his eyes and eating his Cheerios and he says" Dad, last night at the range was awesome, I can't wait to go again".

I think that one of the best things about the whole program is that he gets to be around kids that are his age and share his interests.

Obviously, I'd like him to get serious about his shooting but I am afraid that if I introduce more structure into his shooting he won't enjoy it as much, and will loose interest.

Back
Top Bottom