Somerset woman cops to shooting hoax

This appears to have flew under the radar until now. Lots of fail here. I wonder if she had an LTC...[thinking]
http://www.necn.com/Boston/New-England/2009/12/05/Police-Somerset-woman-cops-to/1260056917.html

More:
http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/21876357/detail.html
and this next one was from yesterday before she fessed up.
http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...5/somerset_woman_shot_after_break_in_at_home/

Police: Somerset woman cops to shooting hoax

(NECN: Alysha Palumbo, Somerset, Mass.) - A police officer's wife on Saturday admitted to making up a story about being shot during a home invasion, according to authorities.

The admission ended an all-day police search for what the woman described as an Hispanic gunman.

Somerset Police held a news conference Saturday evening with the announcement, saying the woman faced charges for lying to investigators -- and even making up a description of the suspect that was later turned into a police sketch.

Police said Smith admitted on Saturday that she heard a noise in her garage and got spooked. That's when, police said, she fired the gun, accidentally striking herself in the arm.

She sustained non-life threatening injuries and could be released from the hospital on Saturday.

Police released the sketch of the suspect -- who was later discovered to be a fictional person made up by the woman -- to the media Saturday morning.

Jennifer Smith of 82 Midland Road had said an intruder came into her home Friday afternoon. Police said Smith told them she went for a gun that she and her husband, a local police officer, kept in their home.

She said the intruder attached her, got the gun away from her and then fired three shots -- one of which struck her in the arm.

Police from more than 20 different agencies, including K-9 units and helicopters, searched for the suspect Smith had described.

It was unclear if Smith was also accused of making up the three stalking incidents about which Somerset Police said she had previously filed police reports.

Wait. So if I understand this correctly, she heard a noise in the garage, grabbed her husbands gun, blindly fired a shot (or had an AD) and the ricochet caught her in the arm. She then filed a false report about a home invasion?

Wow. That's pretty elaborate.

Wait. So if I understand this correctly, she heard a noise in the garage, grabbed her husbands gun, blindly fired a shot (or had an AD) and the ricochet caught her in the arm. She then filed a false report about a home invasion?

Wow. That's pretty elaborate.

Actually, after the first shot which was some form of ND, she intentionally shot twice more. And apparently intended to hit herself in the arm with one of those last two shots. Or so what I got from another news report.

I would be embarrassed beyond belief if I ever shot myself, but I'd be even more embarrassed to fake an assault report to the police about it. Common sense appears to be a rapidly diminishing commodity. [thinking]

Odd. On the Brinks/Broadview Security TV commercials, the attacker is always white. [thinking]
...and they run away as soon as they hear the alarm, and Mike from Broadview is on the phone before the glass is done hitting the ground to save the day by calling the police. Who will get there in about 5 or 10 minutes. To take a report. Or to preserve the murder scene for the detectives.

Sorry for the OT / hijack, but I friggin' hate those commercials.

Just once I'd like to see the "victim" run to the table, ignore the ringing phone, retrieve a 1911 and drop the bad guy. Then when Mike from Broadview calls, she can tell him she's all set.

...and they run away as soon as they hear the alarm, and Mike from Broadview is on the phone before the glass is done hitting the ground to save the day by calling the police. Who will get there in about 5 or 10 minutes. To take a report. Or to preserve the murder scene for the detectives.

My thoughts exactly. Those bad guys are on par with the Hamburglar.

I would be embarrassed beyond belief if I ever shot myself, but I'd be even more embarrassed to fake an assault report to the police about it. Common sense appears to be a rapidly diminishing commodity. [thinking]

And the boat load of trouble she will be in. This really pisses me off because this lady got the whole town worried. I wonder if she will be held responsible financialy for all the resources that were used in the search?

My thoughts exactly. Those bad guys are on par with the Hamburglar.

Keep your eyes on your fries!

Seriously, there must be more going on here than is being reported. Remember, the other night the PD reported that this might be part of an ongoing dispute, yada, yada, yada.

Is it her gun or is it her husband's? Did she use some sort of made up story to get a LTC?

Lot's of questions.

I have been following this story since day one its 2 miles or so from my home its starting to sound crazy now you dont know who to believe now.

I have been following this story since day one its 2 miles or so from my home its starting to sound crazy now you dont know who to believe now.

I know who not to believe.

terra, Thanks for sharing this. I hadn't seen word one on it. It'll be interesting to see how prosecutors handle this.

Sheesh. When the Warden heard about this the other night she asked me, "you've got the .45 on you, right?" One step forward, two steps back...

Sheesh. When the Warden heard about this the other night she asked me, "you've got the .45 on you, right?" One step forward, two steps back...

Mine too, my wife is by no means anti but she always thought it was silly carrying around the house.

Wife watching the news: "S*%# that's right down the road, you have your pistol right?"

Me: "Yes dear...not so silly now carrying around the house...is it?

Wife: Silence but with a relieved look on her face.

intruder attached[sic] her, got the gun away from her
When this story first broke, this is what I heard.

My response was: OMG, this is the first time I've ever heard of an actual case where the common Hollywood story of takeing a gun from a woman happened. This will embolden the anti-self-defense types who repeat it all the time.

I also thought that she must be an idiot to get out a gun for an attacker, and not use it.

But, it seems it was all a lie, a lie conforming the the Hollywood stereotype.

Yet, you'll be hearing of this for years. They'll be saying remember the woman in Somerset who back in 2009 had the gun taken from her -- she was lucky she was only wounded.

When this story first broke, this is what I heard.

My response was: OMG, this is the first time I've ever heard of an actual case where the common Hollywood story of takeing a gun from a woman happened. This will embolden the anti-self-defense types who repeat it all the time.

I also thought that she must be an idiot to get out a gun for an attacker, and not use it.

But, it seems it was all a lie, a lie conforming the the Hollywood stereotype.

Yet, you'll be hearing of this for years. They'll be saying remember the woman in Somerset who back in 2009 had the gun taken from her -- she was lucky she was only wounded.

Definately, happens all the time. The whole situation is a mess for all parties involved, not to mention all the manhours wasted, only good thing is nobody was arrested for the "home invasion."

Definately, happens all the time. The whole situation is a mess for all parties involved, not to mention all the manhours wasted, only good thing is nobody was arrested for the "home invasion."

Wait, what happens all of the time? The gun being taken from the good guy or the absurd story that the black/hispanic guy did it?

Is it just me, or did all fake attackers used to be black and now they're all hispanic?

Odd. On the Brinks/Broadview Security TV commercials, the attacker is always white. [thinking]

I had drill this weekend with the Mass National Guard and part of our yearly legal correspondence courses we have to complete certain classes (i.e. Diversity Day, Sexual Assault/Harassment, Suicide Prevention) and one thing everybody noticed in all the videos was that all the racist, rapists and suicidals were “whities”… Apparently its tough to be a white male now-adays.

I had drill this weekend with the Mass National Guard and part of our yearly legal correspondence courses we have to complete certain classes (i.e. Diversity Day, Sexual Assault/Harassment, Suicide Prevention) and one thing everybody noticed in all the videos was that all the racist, rapists and suicidals were “whities”… Apparently its tough to be a white male now-adays.

Add to that "Christian", and you start to get the picture. Christians ... the REAL terrorists.

Back
Top Bottom