Some bad press for Glock. Clink

First, he'd persuade American police they needed a lightweight weapon with more ammunition than traditional revolvers.

I think that process was already in place with some of the early "Wonder Nines". The S&W Model 59 comes to mind.

Story seems full of holes. Guy accused of embezzeling is claiming that the money he embezzeled was actually for illegal campaign contributions authorized by glock. That and saying that Glock was the impetus behind police wanting higher cap nines is off base by a few years. Glock's trade in policy and low price point seems to be more what convinced departments to buy them as compared to other semis at the time.

I am no glock fanboy but the article seems to be motivated by the executives who are on the hook for illegal activities and trying to justify them and shift blame.

Considering that the author and editor of the story got the major factual details wrong concerning the Clinton/S&W deal, you have to question the accuracy of any details that are not publically known.

I see that the site also features two more stories slamming Glock, and - Surprise! - the piece on "gun safety" also contains outrageous fabrications.

It looks like Business Week really, really wants to paint Glock in a bad light, and they don't mind publishing lies to do so.

Dig deep enough into the financial records of just about any large manufacturing company. I can guarantee that you will almost always find some examples of the practices being mentioned in this article. Perhaps not to the same extent that Glock is being accused of, however this is just an unfortunate byproduct of modern day business practices.

The larger the business is, the more global markets the business deals in and the amount of the cash flow through the business will certainly have a direct effect on the scope of such practices. I'm not saying that these practices are right or even ethical. This is just how most modern day businesses choose to operate. They will do whatever it takes to maximize shareholder profits.

It's pretty much a cat and mouse game, but on a grand scale. These days, making as much money as possible, while trying to hide as much money as possible is how most companies have become so large. It's capitalism at it's finest. Unless you have a solid product, that is so unique and desirable, that everyone in the world wants it or needs it, and that people are willing to pay large amounts of money to get it, your business isn't going to get very far. Unfortunately, these days most companies are choosing, or in some cases being forced, to throw out the book on business ethics in order to grow.

Making large contributions to lobbyists and government campaign funds by dividing it up amongst large groups of "contributors" is nothing new either. As long as companies like this can do it and stay under the radar, they're going to continue to do so. The reason that Glock is being singled out is simply because of all the controversy right now surrounding gun rights and legislation. I'd be willing to bet that Smith and Wesson are engaged in many of the same practices. However, because they are an American company, they won't be as highly scrutinized.

As far as Glock employees laundering money and pocketing it for themselves goes however, you really can't blame the company as a whole for that. They're definately not the first company to have this happen and certainly will not be the last. With a company that large, with such a massive cash flow, the amount of personal greed from it's employees is tremendous. I'm sure that just like every other company, Glock has tried to do everything in it's power to prevent these actions from taking place. A company that has so many shareholders to answer to is certainly not going to encourage this sort of behavior from their employees.

It sounds like whoever wrote this article was on a witch hunt. He chose to find a company that has, what some would view as, a sordid past and a somewhat controversial place in the market being that they are a weapons manufacturer. He found a company that has several questionable practices that seem to coalesce, but in fact really don't have a whole lot to do with one another. He dug deep, and wrote the article in such a way that it makes Glock out to be the scourge of all that is wrong with modern day businesses. In actuality, it's simply the size of the company that makes all of these accusations seem grandiose.

In my opinion, they make many fine products. Their simplicity in design, their sturdiness and their reliability coupled with what I have experienced to be an outstanding customer service department, has made them one of my favorite firearm manufacturers. I view their marketing strategy as being brilliant. The accusations outlined in this article has had absolutely no bearing on my view of them or any of their products.

I guess its all about greed.
Greed is good. Greed is presumed by a functioning free market. Just as corruption is presumed by a functioning Constitutionally limited Republic with checks and balances...

It's not the greed that ruins the system. It is the willful ignorance and endorsement of corruption by "consumers" that allows the greed to be bad...

By itself "greed" is just another word for "profit motive"...

If the electorate keeps voting for people who abuse them and consumers keep buying products that hurt them and cost too much, then we get what we pay for...

Stop blaming capitalism - it's you and your neighbors fault for allowing Kennedy to be the one of, if not the longest serving Senators...

People joke, but it is true...

It's beyond true - it is the basic mechanism of all life on earth. Heck, if you can make the leap between greed and gravity, its even the mechanism behind the function of the entire universe...

The process of every organism trying to get whatever it can with all its skills, talents and natural endowments is "life"...

Virtually, all the "unfairness" and "fat cat" stuff most people complain about comes from the abuse of governance to get more than you could if there weren't government policies providing disproportionate reward for the connected few...

The government operates like a "protection racket" for those well connected to it... The smaller government is, the more its impact operates on the margins of the market... The more we ask government to do, the greater its influence and ability to project corruption upon all of us...

Last edited:
I read this yesterday - the history was most interesting - the last paragraph kinda took the wind out of the sails of the complaints: "No one has been charged in connection with the alleged reimbursements. Some may now be beyond prosecution because the statute of limitations has expired. " [laugh]

I'm not a Glock fan so it's academic as far as I'm concerned.
Lots of big outfits engage in dirty pratices everyday.
A friend in PA was a dealer for Indian Motorcycles back in 98-02. They were starting to break out and where in great shape with their '03 dealer meeting promising to bring in millions in confirmed orders and enough cash to cover debt when suddenly their banks called all debts in advance of the convention.
Indian closed it's doors on the brink of success. (and I still kick myself because the guy had offered me his '01 Spirit Deluxe demo unit and I passed)
The players alledgedly behind the bank move, Harly-Davidson making sure they stayed the largest American cycle company. Investors Business Daily reported that the banks funding Harly bought holdings in Indians finaciers and called the notes.
All just business.

Maybe it's me, but I don't see some conspiracy with a smoking gun here... [thinking]

They lobbied the government. Big flying donkeys. [laugh]

Maybe they don't play clean in that regard, but frankly, neither do the people who are constantly trying to take our guns away.

This article smells like they're trying to make Glock out to be microsoft. The "worst" thing Glock has every done has been them pulling a Wal-Mart - eg, the loss leader strategy... but that's their business. (Years ago, and perhaps still now, Glock sold pistols to LE at minimal profit to drive commercial sales. )

This little gem struck a chord.... it didn't say it outright, but the presence of it in the article is telling....

Glock has arranged to have the second-hand firearms sold on the used-gun market, where former police weapons command a premium.

The tone here is "selling used guns is sorta eeeeevil... " maybe im reading too
far into it.

-Mike

I don't give a flying you know what. They make a great handgun. I've put 1800 rounds through my Glock 30 and if I didn't have ANY fingers I could still count all the times it has jammed on me or FTF or FTE.

Back
Top Bottom