• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Soft Case With Padlock

Will a soft case that you can put a small padlock through where the 2 zippers meet qualify as a large capacity rifle transport case in a vehicle?

Yes, although I have hard cases, they take up too much room in the car, so I use soft cases with small luggage type padlocks (they are Masterlock, not junk however).

The law states a locked case or container, it doesn't specify the composition or material of said case. Remember, most of the "safety" laws are geared towards preventing unauthorized users easy access to the firearm, not theft prevention.

Yes, although I have hard cases, they take up too much room in the car, so I use soft cases with small luggage type padlocks (they are Masterlock, not junk however).
Why spend more money on a lock than you have to when using a soft case for storage? All an individual or thief has to do is cut open the soft case with something as simple as a razor knife, or even scissors, to get what's inside.
Besides, cheap TSA luggage locks meet the ridiculous MA transport laws. No need to spend any more money on locks that are useless anyway, IMO.

Last edited:
Why spend more money on a lock than you have to when using a soft case for storage? All an individual or thief has to do is cut open the soft case with something as simple as a razor knife, or even scissors, to get what's inside.
Besides, cheap TSA luggage locks meet the ridiculous MA transport laws. No need to spend any more money on locks that are useless anyway, IMO.
I bought my locks back when you could lock your luggage. I don't fly anymore, so now use .them on gun cases. I refuse to deal with TSA.

Back
Top Bottom