So why hasn't Comm2A sued MA over this...

Why hasnt Miller vs US been used to fight things like the AWB and mag limits for people who get jammed up on violations of those?

Dude, do you have ESP?

Almost posted the same thing. MA Compliance and suppressors need to be addressed as well. Firearms and accessories people in gun-friendly states and the military enjoy are clearly in 'common use'

... cannot get over the fact that 5 1/2 years after DC v. Heller, no MA court has issued a ruling supporting the Second Amendment. No one in MA has ever been harmed by a denial of their 2A rights. ...

Watershed moments for me will be when a MA court either supports someone's Second Amendment right or overrules Comm v. Davis and all it's progeny.

Not sure what you mean by the first part here. As far as the second part, I would make that or into an and.

... Almost posted the same thing. MA Compliance and suppressors need to be addressed as well. Firearms and accessories people in gun-friendly states and the military enjoy are clearly in 'common use'

Don't forget flash suppressors as well as your mentioned noise suppressors (silencers).

Oh, and a big thank you to Comm2A!

Not sure if it would ever help but I have an email from Lowell's licensing officer Karen Witts telling me the 3 exceptions they use for giving out in restricted LTC's.. My thought would be that this is like a confession about violating the citizens constitutional rights..

1. Law enforcement officer
2. Victim of a documented violent crime
3. Business owner who carries large sums of cash

I have also contacted the Lowell city council with my concerns regarding those exceptions and they all are blind to the facts and believe those exceptions come from the state.. :-(

Getting some money ear marked for donation soon!

Not sure if it would ever help but I have an email from Lowell's licensing officer Karen Witts telling me the 3 exceptions they use for giving out in restricted LTC's.. My thought would be that this is like a confession about violating the citizens constitutional rights..

1. Law enforcement officer
2. Victim of a documented violent crime
3. Business owner who carries large sums of cash

I have also contacted the Lowell city council with my concerns regarding those exceptions and they all are blind to the facts and believe those exceptions come from the state.. :-(

Getting some money ear marked for donation soon!

Exceptions == special classes of people (LEO's, surviving victims, the rich) that are more equal than others. Equal protection my tush.

We do not trample on everybody's rights - just on most people's... and the MA SJC said it's OK.

Comm2A is an organization that I, without hesitation, recommend that everyone donate to. I talk it up to anyone who will listen, and do my best to convince people to do monthly donations. I have done monthly donations since they started taking them, and will continue to do so. Even if you can only afford $5/month, do it.

I am eagerly awaiting the outcome of Davis v. Grimes. While I live in a town that issues unrestricted licenses, it galls me that other MA residents have restrictions arbitrarily imposed on them based on the whims of their police chiefs.

As someone who just received a neutered LTC-A after waiting more than 9 months, I can now also consider myself a monthly contributor to Comm2A. It's not much, but I hope it helps.

While I'm very happy you guys are doing what you do, I'm also very interested in the strategy.

You guys clearly want to attack the licensing BS in MA. Can you tell me what prevents you from going to the circuit court to challenge LTCs (and FID plus permit to purchase) based on Heller? Is it just money or is there some other positioning you need to do.

If answering this would give something away, feel free to PM me.

It takes cash to take on these cases. Donate as much as you can. Even 5 bucks one month when you have a little extra cash. Every little bit helps!

You guys clearly want to attack the licensing BS in MA. Can you tell me what prevents you from going to the circuit court to challenge LTCs (and FID plus permit to purchase) based on Heller?

Setting the strategy that fits within the narrow confines of Heller, and does not give the court an "out" as to why Heller does not apply (remember, Heller is explicit about handguns the in home only and does not specifically address the constitutionality of a 10 or 7 round limit on capacity of said handguns) is not as trivial as it first sounds.

Cases are being carefully selected with a competent legal strategy than is cognizant as to the realities of the framework in which we are working. One unfortunate reality of planning litigation is that it is imprudent (and downright irresponsible) to publicly discuss future cases or specifics of the filing strategy. What I can offer is that we are doing our best; seem to know what we are doing; and not eating a slice of the pie ourselves.

I think we should some raffles/karmas for Comm2a donations. Ill kick in a few things, anyone else? Every little bit helps am I right?

I think we should some raffles/karmas for Comm2a donations. Ill kick in a few things, anyone else? Every little bit helps am I right?
We do have a raffle planned. We got the permit, we have a grand prize and commitments for other prizes. We just haven't been able to organize the rest of it and put together a date & time.

How about the AGs compliance list and required testing of firearms, the EOPS list, etc. Is that somewhat out of your purview since they are "consumer protection" laws?

How about the AGs compliance list and required testing of firearms, the EOPS list, etc. Is that somewhat out of your purview since they are "consumer protection" laws?

Those should be targets eventually, but I'm much happier to see Comm2A attempt to destroy chief's discretion on LTCs first.

This thread just reminded me to donate. Thank you for all you do guys!

Set up a monthly donation, then you'll never need a reminder!

Seriously, I'd bet that if you asked the Comm2A folks, they'd rather have a $5 monthly donation than a $60 one-time donation once per year.

Every little bit helps am I right?

While we have had a few large donations, the vast majority of our funding has come from the small donations.

They have said this repeatedly. Steady income helps long-range planning.
Yup. The current flow rate is a HUGE factor when we decide what cases to fund.

Those should be targets eventually, but I'm much happier to see Comm2A attempt to destroy chief's discretion on LTCs first.

Case selection is much more complex than "what would we like to see go first", so don't assume we don't understand what is important to the gun owning community if we don't file in what you would consider the "order of preference".

Some of the things that go into the selection in no particular order:

- Is there any organization willing to partner with Comm2A and underwrite some or all of the legal fees?

- Have we found an attorney who believes in the case, is highly qualified to litigate, and is willing to give Comm2A a decent deal on legal fees? Comm2A has been very fortunate to work with excellent attorneys who have been very fair with us on legal fees, typically charging us Walmart rates for Nordstrom service.

- Do we have sympathetic plaintiffs for the case? We prefer plaintiffs who are baggage free upstanding citizens.

- Does the case address a single issue that can be effectively argued on constitutional grounds? Cases that try to paint with a broad brush typically get shot down since the plaintiffs in such cases tend to give the court lots of hooks onto which a finding against plaintiff may be hung. For example, GOAL filed a case is state court to have the 1998 gun laws overturned. Comm2A never would have filed such a broad case as it was doomed to failure.

- Can we address the case in federal court? We prefer to go federal, since the federal courts are less results driven and do not share the marsupial nature of MA courts.

- How will a win help us build other cases? How will a loss hurt? What is the strategy if we win? What is the strategy if we lose?

- What are our risks/benefits of a win/loss, and what are our chances? Losses don't only mean we don't get what we want on the specific case, but can set precedent making future cases more difficult to bring.

- What similar cases are in the pipeline? Sometimes we have to jump into an existing case that addresses a specific issue because the case will set a precedent - even if the case is not the ideal one (sympathetic plaintiff and the like) Comm2A would like to have brought.

So, if we file something that does not seem to be at the top of the priority list for MA gun owners, or have not yet filed your favorite case, please understand the complexity of the case selection process.

I would love to share a status of where we are on each issue, however, as I mentioned earlier, the nature of the adversarial process would make sharing that level of detail downright irresponsible.

Last edited:
does comm2A have any plans to work with other state/ regional 2A legal groups to mount a broader federal appeal to gun legislation? Is it strategically possible? or are efforts at the state level the best way to deal with the issues.

The thousand cuts parable comes to mind.

does comm2A have any plans to work with other state/ regional 2A legal groups to mount a broader federal appeal to gun legislation? Is it strategically possible? or are efforts at the state level the best way to deal with the issues.

The thousand cuts parable comes to mind.

Our concentration is MA, however, since most of our cases are filed at the federal level, there are some that can have implications that extend beyond MA. Comm2A is also in regular contact with most of the "big names" in firearms rights litigation to make sure they understand what we are up to.

Setting the strategy that fits within the narrow confines of Heller, and does not give the court an "out" as to why Heller does not apply (remember, Heller is explicit about handguns the in home only and does not specifically address the constitutionality of a 10 or 7 round limit on capacity of said handguns) is not as trivial as it first sounds.

Cases are being carefully selected with a competent legal strategy than is cognizant as to the realities of the framework in which we are working. One unfortunate reality of planning litigation is that it is imprudent (and downright irresponsible) to publicly discuss future cases or specifics of the filing strategy. What I can offer is that we are doing our best; seem to know what we are doing; and not eating a slice of the pie ourselves.

Thanks Rob. That pretty much answers it anyway. Better to be methodical than to go in and get a bad precedent set.

Keep up the good work.

Back
Top Bottom