So, when did the CMP basically sell out of Garands?

The5thDentist

NES Life Member
NES Member
Hey, guys.

I was on the CMP site today, just looking to see what they had in stock, and I couldn't believe that basically everything is listed as "sold out".

So, when did they exhaust their supply of M1's?

Or are they still working through crates and putting up offerings when they have a large group ready to sell?

I'm all squared away with what I need, but I was surprised to see that they don't have anything available.

They've been disappearing steadily for the past 2 years. Supposed to get a shipment from Korea or somewhere soon, but no one really has a time frame on that.

They seem to pop up from time to time, then shut down for a while. I think a lot of the stuff they sell now are cobbled together rifles and they take time to sort out.

Official word is that they will be totally out by next year. Any foreign returns will sweeten the pot, but domestic supplies are drying up fast.

t

They have been on and off since 2007
Basically sorting , building and such.
I'm thinking what we will see is a long stretch of nothing then a price increase across the board.
Eventually CMP will just do 100% CMP auction as it has become a cash cow for them.
They have been posting a steady flow of Krag rifles on the auction along with various other rifles
http://cmpauction.thecmp.org/detail.asp?id=3906&n=M1-Garand-AFPG-NM-SA-1168375

When they are finally all out, boy will the procrastinators lament...

Yes I was "late" to the M1s but I have been telling people to buy one soon when services grades where 495$ that was not long ago. Although i think cmp has more than one would think.
When orest was around he once said their where 140k serial numbers in house for M1 garands. Condition could be junk to in issued.
How many rifles a year does cmp sell?

I hope they put out more C grade specials and in 308 for 830$ again. That's not sure bad deal. Of course I am a shooter not collector. Missed that boat long ago.

I got my two M1s late Feb/early March 2017 after placing Dec 2016 and Feb 2017 orders.

Service Grades went sold out last autumn but they had some ready since I did the FG -> SG upgrade in March.
Field grades sold out at some point in January I think?

They'll probably be back in the future for shorter periods and with fewer available until/unless the Korean and/or Philippines ones come back. Even then, I don't think they will last very long.

That was a nice one. How did it shoot for you?

I did get a really exceptional service grade last fall (6/44 Springfield w/correct stock) when they were available.

T

Last edited:
Right now they seem to be building rifles from new and old parts, not just stocks. "Luck of the draw" has real meaning now. I bought the M1D because more people are buying them as the rifles now are a mix of new parts and I've wanted one, I just didn't want to pay for it.

Thanks to the good folks here with educating on the CMP process I was able to pick up a couple of CMP M1s not too long ago.

Was it the Cali guys that clobbered them at the end of last year because of another 2A infringement?

I think I was pretty lucky to get this service grade last November. Faint SA/GHS proof still on the stock in the right light. Bore is 1/2+. All Springfield parts save an HRA trigger group. I swapped that with a collector on the CMP forum for a correct drawer numbered trigger assembly/safety/sear/hammer group.

t

Attachments

• IMG_2632.jpg
    IMG_2632.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2636.jpg
    IMG_2636.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2634.jpg
    IMG_2634.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2635.jpg
    IMG_2635.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2633.jpg
    IMG_2633.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 33
Even more in demand are M1 carbines, with no reliable sources available for purchase. I just had one last only 3 minutes tonight on the trader. Buying back a K98 I didn't really want to sell in the first place.

t

Last edited:
Yep. Glad I got mine when I did. Though I wish I had the space to buy more...

you got the cash I got the space

- - - Updated - - -

Even more in demand are M1 carbines, with no reliable sources available for purchase. I just had one last only 3 minutes on the trader. Buying back a K98 I didn't really want to sell in the first place.

t

so tempting to sell one of mine......

The Korean M1s will eventually get back here. The Philippines also agreed to repatriate tens of thousands of them soon too. Once that stock is back the CMP might have enough supply to last another decade.

Weren't the Korean ones to be sold vs. given back to the Army? As I understand it the CMP only gets their rifles from the Army.

Weren't the Korean ones to be sold vs. given back to the Army? As I understand it the CMP only gets their rifles from the Army.

Yes and the Korean ones where sold to Centery IA for approx $50 mil. @ auction only to have the deal squashed by Obama. So those M1s went somewhere maybe next highest bidder? From what I have read the Koreans purchased "their" M1s from US .gov. so if the S. Korean government has seen what the M1s can go for why would they "give" them back to US? honestly I doubt we will see the Army putting fourth any effort to get the Philippine stuff back any time soon.
We did enjoy a good run on Korean M2 ball ammo and some early M1 and carbines that showed up briefly a few/several years ago along with some from Israel.

Last edited:
The Korean M1s will eventually get back here. The Philippines also agreed to repatriate tens of thousands of them soon too. Once that stock is back the CMP might have enough supply to last another decade.
On CMP forums they've floated an 86k Philippines M1 number. Assuming they are all sellable (questionable given the climate, I've read that these include drill/training rifles, and rifles used in police service), and comparing to a supposed quote from Orest that the CMP sold 50k Garands in 2011 (random year that I could find info on) that would mean they now have another year and half of Garands or so. Very broad numbers.

I've heard people saying they expect prices to drop; not sure why, considering they sell out very quickly at current prices and I don't think the prices stop those that want to buy them from ordering.

If they were to sell IHC ones separately again, I'd be tempted to get another. I do want an M1 Carbine and an 03A3 in higher priority though.

On CMP forums they've floated an 86k Philippines M1 number. Assuming they are all sellable (questionable given the climate, I've read that these include drill/training rifles, and rifles used in police service), and comparing to a supposed quote from Orest that the CMP sold 50k Garands in 2011 (random year that I could find info on) that would mean they now have another year and half of Garands or so. Very broad numbers.

I've heard people saying they expect prices to drop; not sure why, considering they sell out very quickly at current prices and I don't think the prices stop those that want to buy them from ordering.

If they were to sell IHC ones separately again, I'd be tempted to get another. I do want an M1 Carbine and an 03A3 in higher priority though.

Is it still worth getting M1's from the CMP over shopping at the various auctions?

Is it still worth getting M1's from the CMP over shopping at the various auctions?
In-person auctions are hard for me to say since I don't really follow them. For online auctions, in my opinion, I'd absolutely do CMP. Unless there is something specific you wanted in the auction--serial number range, manufacturer, specific part, etc. If you just want a shooter or one to have, I would do CMP all the way. I am very happy with my M1s from them.

The mail order service grades from the cmp are going to be the less expensive option out side a good deal from a friend.
I will add anything a step above a common HRA or SA returned to cmp will go to their own Auction. Where they sell for more than out in the wild

http://cmpauction.thecmp.org
Watch what things go for here....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom