So I signed up for a MA Hunting Ed course

It's primarily lecture, with some films. It covers safety (both firearm safety and survival outdoors), animal identification, MA hunting laws, hunting ethics, etc. Not a lot about actually how to hunt.

in June. It's like four or five nights for three hours. Seems like overkill to me, but it is what it is.
Can someone tell me what to expect?

Thanks

Call up Mike at Tite Group Sporting in Northborough MA. 508-393-8558. He does it all in one afternoon for 70 bucks. 6-7 hours. Its no nonsense, no fluff, and he tests you on many different firearms loaded with dummy rounds to make sure you can clean the guns properly. This class will also allow you to apply for a concealed carry class A. This is handy because you also need a class A for large capacity firearms as well. I believe he runs the class every other Saturday.

Adam

Call up Mike at Tite Group Sporting in Northborough MA. 508-393-8558. He does it all in one afternoon for 70 bucks. 6-7 hours. Its no nonsense, no fluff, and he tests you on many different firearms loaded with dummy rounds to make sure you can clean the guns properly. This class will also allow you to apply for a concealed carry class A. This is handy because you also need a class A for large capacity firearms as well. I believe he runs the class every other Saturday.
That sounds like an NRA Basic Pistol class, not a MA Hunter Education class. Two very different courses. A Hunter Ed class is required in order to get hunting license.

DO NOT MISS any of the sessions or you will not pass!!!

This is a very strict requirement of the course....

Don't ask how I know [wink]

That sounds like an NRA Basic Pistol class, not a MA Hunter Education class. Two very different courses. A Hunter Ed class is required in order to get hunting license.

Perhaps my town hall was mistaken, but I've purchased my last two sportsman's licenses with only these qualifications. I took the class a couple years ago, I'll have to dig up my paperwork when I get home.

Adam

Perhaps my town hall was mistaken, but I've purchased my last two sportsman's licenses with only these qualifications. I took the class a couple years ago, I'll have to dig up my paperwork when I get home.

Adam

The law changed effective this year. Now you need either a previous license or successful completion of a hunter safety course. In years past an LTC was sufficient qualification.

The law changed effective this year. Now you need either a previous license or successful completion of a hunter safety course. In years past an LTC was sufficient qualification.
Actually, it changed at least twice. Prior to CH. 180 of the 1998 laws, an LTC was not sufficient to get a hunting license. CH. 180 of the 1998 laws made an LTC sufficient to get hunting license. As DR points out, that was recently changed.

I suspect that the "logic" behind the current requirement is that an NRA Basic Pistol class (and also most of the other FID/LTC classes) does not cover many of the topics covered in a Hunter Ed course.

In the Courses I taught and most everyone else in Vermont teaches.
We teach
Habitat
Enviroment
Comon Sense Rules
State Laws and Regulations
The Purpose of the Fish & Game
We cover some of the hunting accidents and how they could have been prevented.
We also have an Obstacle Course that is walked by the student with a Firearm
We go to a Range and shoot and teach and observe Safe Handling
There is a Written Test. Students can achieve a 100 on the Written test but if we feel they did not practice SAFETY in the Obstacle Course or on the Range, they FAIL.
We show several Videos/films about courtesy and Proper Hunting Etiquettes as well show why Hunting is needed.

Public Buildings are normally chosen because of the Insurance Purpose and Legalities. Doing a course at a Private Home opens doors to legal problems so Public Schools, etc are used. That is why (I beleive it is still the case) that Schools can NOT ban Firearms from the property, because in many places the school buildings are used for Hunter Safety Courses. So the LAWs are worded to go after the person and not the firearm. This may have changed in the last couple of years, not sure. I haven't taught a class in a few years.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom