Snubbie accuracy

Pilgrim

NES Member
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
The short snubbies (2 in or less), I find, are very inaccurate and good only for real short range shooting. I think most will agree.

That being said, I was at my range last week where a buddy brought his SW mod 15-2 snubbie and was telling me how accurate it was and proceeded to bounce around a coke can at 50 yds !

He offered to let me try it and sure as shooting, I hit the can at least 50% of the time.

I've never held a gun that short that would do what that one did.

Anyone else have real good luck with a real short gun?

I was hitting bowling pins about 3 out of 5 rounds at 100 yards with my 642 snubby at the Athol shoot. I can shoot that little gun better than alot of my longer barreled guns. With a ~2" barrel, hardly any sights, and a stiff trigger, I still find it to be very accurate.

Snubbies are quite accurate however, the short sight radius and triggers make them difficult to shoot. Master those and you will be amazed what they will do

Most Snubbies are very accurate. I usually can put 3 out of 5 on a 9" steel at 40 yds. Saturday JGreen was hitting steel poppers with his at 100yds double action.

Are the as easy to shoot as well as a full size gun? No.

Will I ever be able to shoot better than my snubby? No but I will keep trying.

I can hit bowling pins reliably at 50 feet with mine, which is plenty accurate for me.

I am always amazed at the accuracy of snubbies.I have a S&W kit gun in .22lr with a 2" bbl. I sometimes shoot it off hand at 100 yds. At that distance I can hit my 12"x12" steel plate. Not every time but often enough to make it fun. Snubbies are not inaccurate. They're just less forgiving than longer barrels.

Firearms are tools.

Some people, when handed a chainsaw, can turn a log into a miniture version of Mt Rushmore. Others, when handed a penknife, end up getting a couple of stitches in their palm.

When I was assigned to Embassy duty in the Marines, I had to qualify with the standard State Dept issued SW M19, which happened to be a 2 1/2 inch snubbie. It was the first time I had to qualify with a handgun and I was able to qualify as an expert with it. I had no problems hitting the bulls at 25yds provided I did my part.

I must admit I think I am a pretty good shot with mine but no where near the skills of some of the others here.

Practice, Practice, Practice - thats what its all about... now I have to get some time in with mine again :)

I was surprised to see how accurate my S&W 442 is. Not as good as my other hand-guns, but it'll always be better than I can shoot it [smile]

Since it's my primary concealed weapon though, and since most of these encounters are within 5 yards, I think it should be accurate enough.

When I was assigned to Embassy duty in the Marines, I had to qualify with the standard State Dept issued SW M19, which happened to be a 2 1/2 inch snubbie. It was the first time I had to qualify with a handgun and I was able to qualify as an expert with it. I had no problems hitting the bulls at 25yds provided I did my part.

Any tips? I was a Security Forces Sgt. in the USAF and qualified as expert with the M9 pistol and M-4 carbine. Never shot a snubby once.

I've been shooting revolvers more now, as a civilian, and I really like the simplicity of the mechanism and the reliability. I wouldn't want to serve with one, but I do think I'll carry one as a civilian.

I'm new to snubbies (but v. experienced with firearms)... any pointers?

I can hit the target, but no where near what I can do with my other handguns. That being said I have put less than 500 rounds through the thing. Makes me want more .38 ammo.[smile]

????

Dear Mr Pilgrim,

my model 60 S&W is quite accurate at 25 yards.. i got a 6 inck group without
trying. If i needed it i think this would be acceptable. With some practice
i probably could do better.

JimB

I can put 5 shots ,with my S&W 442, in a minute of pie plate,at 10yds in 3 sec.. A real fun gun shooting weak side off hand.

I have a S&W 638, I have been known to circumcise a gnat at 50 yards...Ok maybe a little exaggerated :) you get the idea.

Does anyone use the Crimson Trace laser grips on their snubs?

Mike,

I've also got CT grips on my 642 snubbie... I saw that you were at S&W; do you live in the Springfield area? If so, PM me, and we'll meet so you can shoot mine...

Welcome to the forum.

And the best thing about shooting steel with a snubby a 100 yards is:

BANG........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................DING [smile]

Snubbies are quite accurate however, the short sight radius and triggers make them difficult to shoot. Master those and you will be amazed what they will do

Indeed.

I think I'm going to dust off the 637 for ChetD's target thread. I bet some eyes will be opened.

A good quality snubby can be inherently accurate. As others have noted, the rudimentary sights and short sight radius are the limiting factor. I recall a gun rag years ago that ran an accuracy test on snubbies using a Ransom rest. The results were very surprising. They grouped as well as many longer barrelled revolvers...at least from the rest.

It's when you add in the human element that things get tricky. [grin]

I'm sure my S&W 638 is more accurate than I am - however at the distances for which I carry it (<10 yards), I haven't missed. Honestly I don't practice with it at much greater distances, most drills are close range center mass.

I'm going to Ransom rest my 442 because I think the accuracy is crap.

It's about minute of milk jug at 50 feet, which is good enough for what it is, I guess.

Trigger is good with a trigger job and polished internals, but there are chatter marks in the barrel.

We'll see after testing whether it's a shooter or I'm not.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom