Sniper killed on training course after 'big boys rules' led to poor supervision

All of you non military veterans would shit if I told you how many times I've seen soldiers rest their chin on the muzzle of an m4 or m16 in my 25 year career. Not saying the behavior is "ok"......just stating that it's common practice in the army.....very common.

This.

Every time I read a thread here about irate NESers getting "swept," I think about walking around on infantry patrols and remember that I got "swept" about 40,652 times per minute.

It's why you keep your booger hook off that bang swich.

This.

Every time I read a thread here about irate NESers getting "swept," I think about walking around on infantry patrols and remember that I got "swept" about 40,652 times per minute.

Slept with my hand and chin on the muzzle of an unloaded and cleared rifle many times on the back of a deuce and a half.

This.

I'm going to respectfully disagree. I view muzzle discipline as the golden rule. It's the one rule that can save you when EVERYTHING else goes wrong. Just because its institutionally inbred that its 'acceptable' because it's just life doesn't fly with me.

I guess I'm not army strong 😂😂😂

I'm going to respectfully disagree. I view muzzle discipline as the golden rule. It's the one rule that can save you when EVERYTHING else goes wrong. Just because its institutionally inbred that its 'acceptable' because it's just life doesn't fly with me.

I guess I'm not army strong 😂😂😂
Next time your actually in combat....ahem ahem cough cough.....and shooting moving and communicating......make sure you watch all your battle buddies muzzles and be sure to point out whenever they flag somebody. 🙄

Or if your squad is in a cigar shaped peremeter and your in the middle prone with the LT..... No matter where you lay your muzzles gonna be pointed at someone. You just make sure the safety is on and your keep your fingers away from the trigger.

Last edited:
Next time your actually in combat....ahem ahem cough cough.....and shooting moving and communicating......make sure you watch all your battle buddies muzzles and be sure to point out whenever they flag somebody. 🙄

You know that's really terrible logic right? Does it happen? Sure. It doesn't mean its excusable or something to be accepted, and it doesn't change the fact that muzzle discipline is the fail safe.

And your edit is the exception that kind of proves my point 🤔👌🏻
Like I said.....next time your in combat.....or training in an infantry unit.....you make sure you keep everyone in line and correct their muzzle discipline mmmkay.

You know that's really terrible logic right? Does it happen? Sure. It doesn't mean its excusable or something to be accepted, and it doesn't change the fact that muzzle discipline is the fail safe.

I'll try this, then.

Be the tail-end charlie in a light-infantry formation. One of the two guys at the back of the wedge (look up what a wedge is in FM 7-8). One of the guys whose responsibility it is to keep an eye out to the rear every half-dozen steps or so.

Try. Try not to sweep your entire element.

The guys on the flanks are sweeping you too, especially if they're righties on the right flank. Even the pointman is turning around every now and then, to make sure his squad leader isn't signaling.

Light fighters turn. It's what they do. Their weapons turn with them. It's not a big deal. You train enough, and miraculously you don't shoot your buddies.

I'll try this, then.

Be the tail-end charlie in a light-infantry formation. One of the two guys at the back of the wedge (look up what a wedge is in FM 7-8). One of the guys whose responsibility it is to keep an eye out to the rear every half-dozen steps or so.

Try. Try not to sweep your entire element.

The guys on the flanks are sweeping you too, especially if they're righties on the right flank. Even the pointman is turning around every now and then, to make sure his squad leader isn't signaling.

Light fighters turn. It's what they do. Their weapons turn with them. It's not a big deal.
Another one that gets it. In the infantry you trust the guy to not shoot your ass.....period. It's a different world than at the gun club.

I seriously doubt he knows that the 7-8 is though. I still have an an old copy in a map bag in my basement.

I can trot out combat vets that agree with me too.... but I guess we'll agree to disagree.

But.....your not a combat vet are you?

What does that have to do with the logic surrounding muzzle discipline? Did I say stop what you're doing in a fight and be a muzzle nazi? Do you agree that in PRINCIPLE that training should prioritize where your barrel is pointed, and you can adapt the best you can in real life?

ETA: forget it. Needlessly snarky.

ETA, again: Oh well. See below, then.

No Picton. My point is you are appealing to authority which is a pretty classic logical fallacy. Thanks for trying not to be a dick.

What does that have to do with the logic surrounding muzzle discipline? Did I say stop what you're doing in a fight and be a muzzle nazi? Do you agree that in PRINCIPLE that training should prioritize where your barrel is pointed, and you can adapt the best you can in real life?
If you want I can give you the contact info for commander of TRADOC. It's a 3 star billet last time I checked. You can tell him your concerns and make sure he adds muzzle discipline 100% of the time during infantry ttp's. I'm sure he'd love to hear your opinions on the seriousness of the matter.

If you want I can give you the contact info for commander of TRADOC. It's a 3 star billet last time I checked. You can tell him your concerns and make sure he adds muzzle discipline 100% of the time during infantry ttp's. I'm sure he'd love to hear your opinions on the seriousness of the matter.

/woosh

Easy there, gents, easy.
Do you get flagged in operation? Yes. Is it the end of the world? No. Does that make it ok? Hard no. Already back in the mid 80ies, we were taught to watch our muzzle. Some things go out the window when there's lead decoration in the air, but you should still be mind your muzzle discipline. And who on here is still going to war? Not me (not only am I not combat ready, I'm not even combat inclined).
Fact is that there's a whole lot of morons out there. Some of those morons go to the shooting range and flag the shit out of other people, and there's no excuse for that. Roland is right when he says that ultimately, the direction your muzzle points dictates the outcome of an accidental/negligent discharge. That point just can not be argued.

I knew us Marines were backwards. I did it the other way. Muzzle on my boot.

That is all I ever saw in the British Army and it was very strongly discouraged. Never saw anyone rest their chin on a rifle muzzle. However that was 40 years ago.

Or if your squad is in a cigar shaped peremeter and your in the middle prone with the LT..... No matter where you lay your muzzles gonna be pointed at someone. You just make sure the safety is on and your keep your fingers away from the trigger.
Going to the range and shooting safely, following the rules etc.. are not the same thing, as being in combat. If you are on the firing range in the service and muzzle someone, I bet you get smacked. No I have never served, I could not pass the hearing test. Thank You for your service and sacrifice.

Going to the range and shooting safely, following the rules etc.. are not the same thing, as being in combat. If you are on the firing range in the service and muzzle someone, I bet you get smacked. No I have never served, I could not pass the hearing test. Thank You for your service and sacrifice.
On a live fire range you'll get some shit for flagging somebody for sure. However.....once your rodded off the range and smokin and jokin in the bleachers.......you'll be staring down plenty of barrels as troops move about. It is what it is.

I'll add......on the range at the gun club.....and when I handle my personally owned fire arms at the house......I watch my muzzle control.

Back
Top Bottom