Smith & Wesson Buys Rochester Rifle Company

Move Puts Gun Maker Into Long Gun Market

POSTED: 2:59 pm EST December 18, 2006

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. -- Long associated with the likes of Dirty Harry and real-life police officers, Smith & Wesson is now taking aim at a new market: hunters.

In a $100 million deal announced Monday, the Springfield gun maker said it is buying Thompson/Center Arms, a Rochester, N.H.-based company that specializes in muzzleloaders and rimfire rifles.

The move lets Smith & Wesson target the $1.1 billion long gun market, which is about 80 percent larger than the country's handgun market, CEO Mike Golden said in an interview with The Associated Press.

Golden said Smith & Wesson firearms already account for about 47 percent of national revolver sales, and said moving the company into the production of long guns was natural.

The purchase increases Smith & Wesson's net sale expectations for fiscal 2008 by $70 million, to about $320 million.

Hollywood helped make Smith & Wesson famous by putting its .44 magnum in the hands of Inspector Harry Callahan in a series of Dirty Harry movies. But Golden said he doesn't expect a tough marketing transition now that the company is trying to sell guns to hunters.

Golden said surveys conducted by the company show that many people think Smith & Wesson makes rifles, even though they just began manufacturing them in March.

"People already think we're in the market," Golden said. "Our products have such a wide appeal, and we believe we can have a similar success with long guns that we've had with handguns."

Under the deal, which is expected to close early next month, Smith & Wesson will purchase Thompson/Center's New Hampshire facility, and will continue producing rifles under their name.

Gregg Ritz, Thompson/Center's president and CEO who will become president of Smith & Wesson's hunting line, said the purchase will help the rifle maker expand its product line.

He said Thompson/Center's line "fits nicely into the Smith & Wesson portfolio of pistols, revolvers, shotguns and future hunting rifles."

"There is absolutely no overlap in our product lines," he said.

Smith & Wesson used to make parts for Remington rifles during its 154-year history, but has been out of the long gun business for about 30 years, Golden said. The company introduced a line of tactical rifles in March, but marketed them to law enforcement agencies and competitive target shooters.

They are also making shotguns now. They built a factory in Turkey.

It is not clear who the owner of the Turkish factory is, but I am willing to bet large sums of money that it is a Turkish gunmaker and not S&W who owns it.

There is a lot of local gunmaking talent in Turkey and many are as modern and sophisticated as those in the US and Europe.

S&W had an earlier foray into the long gun market; competing against Winchester Model 70s and Remington Model 700s, it flopped.

What I thought interesting was the statement (made by S&W in the press release) that it now has a 47% share of the U.S. revolver market. Before the Agreement/Boycott/Switch-to-Autos fiascos, Smith had a 97% share of the U.S. revolver market.

Be interesting to see how the SW branded shotguns look. The Remingtons made by Baikal look like crap (meanwhile, the Mossbergs are pretty nice looking)

SW_Shotguns.jpg

Looking good to me.

T/C's are real nice firearms, hopefully S&W won't mess up what they have.

I wonder if T/C was having trouble or if S&W just came in with one of those prices where you say "why shouldn't I sell and retire to Aruba" [smile] .

In a $100 million deal announced Monday, the Springfield gun maker said it is buying Thompson/Center Arms, a Rochester, N.H.-based company that specializes in muzzleloaders and rimfire rifles.

That's going to be a great shock to all those people who own Contender pistols....[rolleyes]

SW_Shotguns.jpg

Looking good to me.

[shocked]

But with that said, for my non-home-defense shotguns I'll be going with Beretta for that price range. Not that I have the cash or will have the cash anytime soon, but I'll still take a 687 EELL over one of those.

More likely I'll pick up a Mossberg Silver Reserve from FS or Northeast Trading.

That's going to be a great shock to all those people who own Contender pistols....[rolleyes]

Yes, that's what I was thinking too.

However, I was "orphaned" MANY years ago according to my sources. I have one of the first T/C pistols and the barrels available today don't fit that generation gun, I have been told.

So, I'm not sure that their lifetime warranty will matter much anyway.

[shocked] I'll be going with Beretta for that price range. Not that I have the cash or will have the cash anytime soon, but I'll still take a 687 EELL over one of those.

I've gotten over brand snobbishnes long ago. Quality is quality regardless of where it is made or by whom.

Back
Top Bottom