• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Smith and Wesson 686 for concealed carry

E

ericdimarzio

Hello,
I have been thinking about a .357 revolver that I could use for both target and concealed carry. While I understand that there is no such thing as an all purpose gun I was thinking about a Smith and Wesson 686 with a 4 inch barrel. The gun's primary use would be target. However I would be able to need the ability to conceal it under dress/business clothes. I am 5'7" 160 Any ideas? thanks

Hello,
I have been thinking about a .357 revolver that I could use for both target and concealed carry. While I understand that there is no such thing as an all purpose gun I was thinking about a Smith and Wesson 686 with a 4 inch barrel. The gun's primary use would be target. However I would be able to need the ability to conceal it under dress/business clothes. I am 5'7" 160 Any ideas? thanks

i love the 686, alot of fun in .357 or .36S. i dont see why you could not carry it in a shoulder holster.

While I agree the 4" 686 is a nice all-around piece, I think you'd quickly find it pretty tiring for CCW. It's heavy and thick. You'll probably leave it home most of the time.

If you really want a revolver for CCW I think a snubby is much better. Yes, you give up 1 round capacity, and with full .357 loads the recoil is a bear, but at least you won't be leaving it at home.

Personally I'd go with a small auto, but that's just me.

The answer to your question is this:

It all depends on how much you are willing to spend on a good concealment holster and belt and how good your back is.

The full underlug barrel of the L frame is heavy and will throw you off balance for a while until you get used to it. A quality holster from Alessi, Sparks, DelFatti or other custom makers along with a belt designed to hold the weight will make the carry option a little better.

I carry a 3" N Frame with no problems but I prefer the 2.5" 66-1 onle because of the holster I have for it.

If you do not already own the 686, I would suggest a K frame rather than the L. The reduction in weight and frame size will make it more comfortable.

Plan on spending minimum of $200 on a belt and holster.

Overall there has been some good advice. Just get a very good belt and a very good holster. I carry a Thunder Ranch Model 22 concealed, but not everyday. From a durability perspective, I'm old school, I'd take an L frame .357 over a K frame .357. The reason S&W developed the L frame was because the K framed Combat Magnums (M19 and M66) didn't stand up well under a constant diet of modern .357 loads.

The last time I was in Blue Northern, they had two really nice M686's with the 2 1/2 inch barrel. One with laser grips, I believe and one without. The barrel is probably too short for target shooting, but either one would make nice carry pieces.

Mark L.

thanks for the advice

While I definitely can appreciate the logic behind snubbies. I don't see myself carrying all that often. The reason I asked about carrying is because I am a Law student who wishes to eventually work as a public defender in rough urban areas and as such would only see myself carrying if I have to venture into areas like that or if I happen to piss the wrong people off. Furthermore I want to have a gun that i can take to the range and enjoy practicing That being said, is there much difference conceal wise between a 3 and 4 inch barrel? I would prefer the 4 inch due to the target use and the fact that i prefer something slightly muzzle heavy. Also any thoughts on alternating 38 specials and 357 in the cylinder something like 3-4 38s first and then 2 357 last resort rounds (yes if i do this i would practice like that)
thanks

Barrel length doesn't affect concealability in my view, unless you're talking about a pocket gun. A longer barrel just adds weight and it makes it more cumbersome/uncomfortable when you're sitting down. The longer barrel can dig into the seat of the chair.

Yes, the longer barrel definitely reduces recoil, and in the case of a magnum it also significantly reduces muzzle flash (which is really more like a fireball).

As far as alternating .38's and .357's, you'd have to carefully align the cylinder each time you load it in order to have the .38's fire first. I don't think it makes much sense in a 4" revolver. The recoil from .357 loads in a gun of that weight isn't bad. I mean it's not insignificant, but certainly not punishing either. But in a lightweight (e.g. scandium) 2" from what I read it's a real bear. Most say they only shoot .38+p in those. Perhaps a 2" model 66 wouldn't be so bad.... I've never shot one. I've shot a 2" model 60 (.38), and that was fine. But magnum loads are a different story.

If you're willing to consider something a bit larger, a 6" 686 is REALLY nice to shoot, even with full magnum loads. Recoil is minimal. Very accurate for target shooting. Of course it doesn't meet your requirement as a carry piece, but it does demonstrate how extra weight/longer barrel really tame recoil.

Last edited:
While I definitely can appreciate the logic behind snubbies. I don't see myself carrying all that often. The reason I asked about carrying is because I am a Law student who wishes to eventually work as a public defender in rough urban areas and as such would only see myself carrying if I have to venture into areas like that or if I happen to piss the wrong people off. Furthermore I want to have a gun that i can take to the range and enjoy practicing That being said, is there much difference conceal wise between a 3 and 4 inch barrel? I would prefer the 4 inch due to the target use and the fact that i prefer something slightly muzzle heavy. Also any thoughts on alternating 38 specials and 357 in the cylinder something like 3-4 38s first and then 2 357 last resort rounds (yes if i do this i would practice like that)
thanks

Well...I understand your reasons for limited concealed carry...at the moment. You may decide to embrace the concept more completely once you begin carrying. Not infrequently, an armed encounter will happen in places and times where it is least expected.

I'm not quite sure why you would want to alternate .38's and .357's. Frankly, many of the modern +P .38 loads are sufficient enough to get the job done, on the other hand the L frame S&W should absorb the recoil of a .357 quite well, and should be managable especially with a four inch barrel. A 125 grain jacket hollowpoint load in .357 from any of the major ammo companies is hard to beat, and is the basis for the .357 Sig semi-auto round. It seems like the Texas Rangers and the Texas Dept of Public Safety and some other agencies missed their .357's so much, that they talked Sig-Sauer into developing the cartridge. I say, why not carry the original?

I agree with Wheelgun the barrel length is not as big a factor for concealability as some would make it out to be, but that can vary depending on body type,posture and general activity level (someone who sits a lot might find a 6 inch barrel a bit uncomfortable, for example).

Back in the day, there were coppers who carried their 4 inch REAL S&W MP's (Model 10) both on and off duty, same for the Combat Mags...it is also true that S&W offered the Model 10 with a 2 inch barrel (Four Seasons has one now, in nickle) and the Model 19/66 in 2 1/2 inch barrel because of the demand for a CCW gun virtually identical to the uniform carry gun.

In general, I think that you are making a good choice, if limited to one gun in the selection of a .357 with a four inch barrel. That would be my choice. There are so many reasons that the revolver is really the optimal choice for so many shooters. The sheer versatility is one major reason: the plethora of .38 and .357 loads, the fact that grips can be configured to fit the individual hand to a degree that is not possible with a semi-auto is still another major reason...I could go on, but you get the idea.

Remember what one of the leading trainers and pistoleros of our time says: "Revolvers are real guns"...Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Mark L.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom