• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Small adjustment

I don't know if this is the right area for this, but,
I have my S&W 1911 in pieces on the kitchen table and was wondering if anyone knew the "SMALL ADJUSTMENT" to change the the trigger pull weight. I think I need to buy some parts and it has nothing to do with an adjustment, but that's why I'm a carpenter and not a Gunsmith.
Thanks for the advise,
Joe

Replacing the factory mainspring with a lighter one might be the "adjustment" in question.

Or cutting a coil or three off the factory spring (not my recommendation).

It could also mean polishing the sear/hammer interface.

Replacing the factory mainspring with a lighter one might be the "adjustment" in question.

Or cutting a coil or three off the factory spring (not my recommendation).

It could also mean polishing the sear/hammer interface.

ill second what Scrivener said about the mainspring. i bought a reduced power mainspring and put it in there on my SW1911, a little tricky if you only have two hands but it worked in reducing the pull nicely. i also bought a short trigger like the 70s colt government models and i like the all around feel of the trigger and pull now a lot better. still has some creep in it though that id like to get rid of.

IF the S&W parts meet GI spec, you could also install an SVI trigger kit. It contains the modular trigger (swap out parts to get the length and trigger face you like), with the patented ball-bearing trigger bow and spring. You could also drop in different hammers.

You can bend the finger on the sear spring (leaf spring) back a bit which will lighten the trigger pull. You have to be careful because if you go to far back then the trigger won't reset. Go slowly and you should be OK. Or go to www.brazoscustom.com and buy his drop in trigger kit and you'll have a perfect 2.5lb. trigger.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom