Small carry guns

I'm looking for a small carry gun for the wife. She likes wheel guns so I'm thinking the Ruger LCR.
Can anyone suggest small pistols to compare with the LCR?
It's got to be pocket carry due to her job.

D

I'd recommend the Kahr PM9 but its got a pretty stiff spring and may be too hard or uncomfortable for your wife to operate. Then there's the new Sig 238 and 938 which seem to have good reviews. LCR is definitely a good choice as well.

If she likes wheel guns she may like the S&W 642. Would be a good weight, easy to shoot and easy and comfy to conceal. They even have the Lady Smith.

Fired from my HTC One X+ with high capacity storage

I own the LCR and Sig P938 and like both very much. She may or may not be comfortable carrying the P938 "cocked and locked" and if so you should rule that one out. The 238 is quite similar to the 938 but in .380.

The Ruger LC9 has an easy slide to manipulate for a small 9 but the recoil is pretty stout and the trigger is long (although not particularly heavy). Still, a consideration if you don't like the single action 1911 style. Has a manual safety. Some like this, some don't. Reliable gun in my experience.

M&P Shield is another to consider. Manual safety here too. Same comment as above. Slightly larger and heavier than LC9 and pushes the limits of what I'd consider a pocket gun. Very reliable gun in my experience.

The Kahr has a very heavy slide spring and little to hold on to. If she's got strong hands it might be a good option although my personal experience with Kahrs hasn't been such that I'd trust my life to one.

I think the LCR is far superior to the Smith & Wesson J frame. The J frame is heavier, the trigger isn't as good and it has more felt recoil. The only advantage of the J frame is a smaller grip (which contributes to the increase in felt recoil).

S&W Bodyguard .380 is another option. Recoil is pretty snappy but the gun is otherwise pretty easy to operate. Very concealable and they are coming out with a version without the laser. The laser has been a problem on many guns. The gun itself has been reliable for a buddy of mine that has carried and shot one for several years now.

Somebody hereabouts was selling a titanium snibbie wheelgun... Cute as hell, a reasonably defensive round (IIRC) and well under a pound (IIRC.)

Two months ago? Three?

I've carried the Bodyguard, 642, and LCR in the pocket. Even as a S&W fanboy, I think the LCR is the best of the lot for a pocket gun. If she likes wheel guns, I'm not sure she'll do much better.

38 snubbie is the way to go. Ruger and S&W make some great guns. The advantage of the 38 is the wide variety of ammo available.

Here's an idea...

S&W Snubbie, BUT…. I would recommend NOT getting a 442 or 642. For a new shooter or a smaller woman, the kick is just too punishing. Whatever gun she carries she needs to be proficient with and that means lots of range time. She will not enjoy shooting those ladysmiths or alloy snubnoses. What I do think would be perfect would be the all steel 649 (below). This gun is relatively the same size but shooting .38s, the steel really soaks up the recoil and makes it a very manageable and fun gun Amazingly accurate too. By far the most accurate short barrel small gun I have ever owned or shot. All the reliability of a wheel gun and built like a brick $h!thouse! Yes a bit heavier than it's alloy snubnose cousins, but she will enjoy shooting it far more and that's critical.

Avoid the Ti snubbies as stated above. I have a S&W 337, it's not a pleasant gun to shoot. Great for carry.

I have a 442 and my wife has a shield 9. I pocket carry the 442 from time to time and to be honest, it isn't that easy. The cylinder is just too wide. I think the shield is easier to carry. Also, as others have said, the recoil of the 442 is pretty bad. My wife will not shoot it and she has a fair amount of experience with guns.

If you and the wife want to shoot them both let me know. We are members of the rutland Sportsmans club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think your instinct is spot on.

The LCR will serve her well.

The 442/642/340 versions of the S&W J frame are much more difficult to shoot well than the LCR. I don't know exactly why, but it just is. I think its because the stock LCR grip is just a bit larger and more square and most importantly, the Ruger trigger pull is much better. Smoother and lighter.

None of these guns are easy to shoot well. She will need to practice if she wants to hit anything at even across the room distance. The PM9 is a great gun, easy to shoot, and very accurate. But the recoil spring is very stiff, I'd guess she would object.

LCR gets my vote. It is what I carry if I choose to pocket carry on a given day. If she was carrying on her hip then I'd maybe suggest the Sig P238 or P938, but not in her case as I don't recommend cocked and locked for POCKET carry. Women wear tight pants and it's going to be hard to get a proper grip to swipe the safety off when drawing from a tiny woman's pocket. Revolver is the way to go and the LCR is one of the nicest of all the hammerless snubs

RUger LCR and s and w 642 are the two guns to look at. I'm a ruger fan.....however when I went to the shop with my wife to purchase her .38 wheel gun she tried the ruger and the smith 642 and decided the extra 100 rockets was worth it for the smith 642 performance center......she said the trigger on the 642 was better for her and yes.....the smith is just straight up much better looking......which can be important for some people and I agree the smith is a much nicer looking gun. Bottom line is let the wife try them out and decide for herself......but ruger lcr and j frame smiths are the starting point.

I'd recommend the Kahr PM9 but its got a pretty stiff spring and may be too hard or uncomfortable for your wife to operate.

Agree completely. While I like my Kahr PM9, my wife can't operate the slide. On the other hand, I met an NES member and his wife at the range so they could try out my Kahrs. She liked the PM9 and was able to operate the slide.

So take your wife shopping and let her decide. What works for you may not work for her.

im picking up a p238 this weekend for edc. but im also hoping my wife likes the gun because she has small hands and doesnt like my 40 and 9mm pistols. although she shot a sig p239 that she loved. hoping she loves the 238 almost as much as the 239.

Back
Top Bottom