• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for a 9mm with a small/thin grip.

Thanks for the guidance folks. I've had her shooting the S&W pro series 1911 and it's not a bad choice. I could put thin grip panels on it but reaching the magazine release is still going to be a challenge. I'm also not sure where it would fit into idpa. No good for ssp and can't use it in cdp.
She has shot my Shield and the grip is pretty good but the capacity is at best 8+1 and it's not the most forgiving firearm for idpa. It's just a bit to short. I "think" the LC9 would present the same problems as the Shield.

She could use the Shield for CCP. She could also get a 9mm 1911 compact (Commander's size slide, officer's size frame) and use that for CCP.

Beretta 92s do not have a small grip. They are freaking huge.
The 92 is a comfortable gun for small hands. The weight of the gun helps those small hands control recoil too. A small light gun can be harder to control in follow up shots making the smaller grip and lighter weight a huge disadvantage.

Neither is a 1911

Actually grip circumference on 1911s is quite small. And you can make it smaller with slim grips, grips with cutouts, and short triggers. The blocky nature of Glock grips makes their grip circumference noticeably larger.

It'll be her call at the end but the Ruger LC9S and Sig P938 would be the thinnest I've seen so far. Both not as heavy as some other models but the recoil is not as strong.

Shield or Kahr seem a bit thicker... But you never know what she'll go for at the end.

Keep us posted if you can

Competition matches with an lc9? No try a 239 or a vp9 in fact I'm selling both. .. I also have an fnh up that's about the same size as an sd9ve and I have one of those that's got a hair trigger if your looking :)

I have long fingers but I like guns with skinny single-stack grips. Own a Sig P6/P225 right now. P239 is its replacement but the grips feel short to me. Might be good for someone with smaller hands. The Smith 3913 is a brilliant gun, and its mainstream variant (908) is super affordable. Hard to go wrong there.

How about a Sig 210?

I'd rather have the $2000

I never shot one but the Walther CCP feels amazing and I have little hands. Only down side is it has a weird "take down" pin.

The Walther CCP is a great little gun. Comfortable grips and accurate. Trigger could be better, but it didn't affect my shooting as much as I thought it would. I just wish it had the paddle mag release like all my other Walthers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is this the "Chief's Special"?

How about a Sig 210?

Walther PPS?

PPS is definitely a slim grip. But very few slim grip handguns are going to have much capacity.

I realize you already tried a 92fs - You could a 92 Vertec model (I think the one of the new M9A1 models is a Vertec).

It's good you have her trying a few different models - maybe take a trip to a range that rents or meet up with some folks who have different models. Anyhow, good to keep an open mind - I've met a lot of smaller shooters who handle the 92fs just fine with OK trigger reach while keeping a proper grip; hands aren't just large or small - finger length vs. palm length, and general hand geometry affect what grips are going to fit best, so who knows what weird double-stack 9 will work for her?

PPS is definitely a slim grip. But very few slim grip handguns are going to have much capacity.

I realize you already tried a 92fs - You could a 92 Vertec model (I think the one of the new M9A1 models is a Vertec).

It's good you have her trying a few different models - maybe take a trip to a range that rents or meet up with some folks who have different models. Anyhow, good to keep an open mind - I've met a lot of smaller shooters who handle the 92fs just fine with OK trigger reach while keeping a proper grip; hands aren't just large or small - finger length vs. palm length, and general hand geometry affect what grips are going to fit best, so who knows what weird double-stack 9 will work for her?

This is sage advice. That's what I did with my daughter.

I was convinced she'd like the Glock 42. So convinced I bought one. That's now sold.

We went to Granite State Indoor Range. Good rental line, and the cost is $20 per caliber. You can rent/shoot all the 9mm's your heart desires for just $20.

She shot the Shield, XD-S, M&P9C, G43, XD Compact, and settled on the Shield. Saved me a lot of grief, not to mention money.

Rental guns are the way to go.

Thanks for the guidance folks. I've had her shooting the S&W pro series 1911 and it's not a bad choice. I could put thin grip panels on it but reaching the magazine release is still going to be a challenge. I'm also not sure where it would fit into idpa. No good for ssp and can't use it in cdp.
She has shot my Shield and the grip is pretty good but the capacity is at best 8+1 and it's not the most forgiving firearm for idpa. It's just a bit to short. I "think" the LC9 would present the same problems as the Shield.
I think I will look into the VP9. Even if the grip is a little large the magazine release would eliminate one of the problems and if she doesn't like it I guess I could keep it. I'm not familiar with the Beretta 92s but I do know the grip on my 92fs is a big grip and I would prefer to not have DA/SA. Thanks again. Problem not solved but I'll check out kahr and sig.

Just an FYI- The magpul 1911 grips are very thin and have a cutout that makes reaching the mag release easy. Lots of color options available too -- daughter might like that.

sig p320 with the small frame might be a nice option too. Heard a rumor they might be mass approved in January 2016...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom