Slug barrel - best way to mount optics?

Receiver mounted scope rail is pretty useless on a shotgun. Why do you think the irons are on the barrel?
So that the irons are never lost???
Somebody better tell Browning that my BPS was built wrong. 😂

Perhaps not ideal but the scope mounted to receiver does work fine.

So that the irons are never lost???
Somebody better tell Browning that my BPS was built wrong. 😂

Perhaps not ideal but the scope mounted to receiver does work fine.
Depends on how you define fine. If it’s good enough for you it is fine.

However in a deer camp with 8 guys We tested three shotguns with removable barrels. A scope on barrel (with either extended eye relief scope or cantilever barrel.) shot smaller groups than scope on receiver set up. They were just as good as shotguns with non removable barrels (savage bolt slug guns or Ithaca deer slayer II with non removable barrels). These were all serious deer hunters and the shotguns had trigger work done on them.

I hunt rifle country now but for trailing a wounded deer (It’s fifth week of season and I’ve done three this for friends who ask) I still take a Rem 1100 with Monte Carlo cheek stock, with a Hastings rifled barrel with Leuopold 2X EER scope on barrel and a trigger that was done by one of the Timneys. It’s fast and accurate.

Here it is. Ready to be my backup for deer season. I didn't like the Fastfire RD. It was clumsy looking and a little too high. I decided to go with an extended eye relief scope on low rings. It's a great setup and having the scope attached to barrel is a great convenience. I went with a Vortex 2-7x 32 scope with 2nd focal plan. Eye relief is somewhere around 9" m2 scope.jpeg

Make sure to at least use purple loctite (lowest strength) on all the screws involved both into the receiver and related to the optic itself, ie even check to make sure the optics mount if it's screws into the optic, that it's loctited. If you don't the odds are good things will loosen up and it can damage the threads involved if you don't notice, plus you can also have the optic fall right off. Had one hit me in the head, drew blood even.

Here it is. Ready to be my backup for deer season. I didn't like the Fastfire RD. It was clumsy looking and a little too high. I decided to go with an extended eye relief scope on low rings. It's a great setup and having the scope attached to barrel is a great convenience. I went with a Vortex 2-7x 32 scope with 2nd focal plan. Eye relief is somewhere around 9"View attachment 545184
How is that secured,?

Back
Top Bottom