• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Slide lock not locking back after last round

Hello,

I took my new Sig226 to the range for the first time today. It was great, but had one problem: After ~50rounds the slide would not lock back after the last round.

This happened with both magazines. It would not happen if I manually racked the slide on an empty magazine.

I cleaned the gun last night before shooting and rubbed the rails with a lightly oiled cloth. When I took it apart to clean when I got home today, I didn't see anthing obvious wrong. Again, I cleaned the gun and very lightly oiled the slide.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Matt

This may be over simplifying things, but I'm a new shooter -- that's what I do . [wink]

My P99 suddenly started doing the same thing after I was shooting it for about 3 weeks. I did everything you did and couldn't figure out what was wrong. I was about to send it back to Walther America, but made a discovery. I shoot righty most of the time, and my strong hand's thumb was riding up on my support hand, right behind the thumb. What I finally discovered was that the strong side thumb was pressing, ever so lightly, against the slide release, barely even touching it, but that's all it takes to cause this. I'm now working on modifying my strong side grip so my hand is taking advantage of the P99's grip shape, and is low and tucked into the palm of my support hand, away from the slide release. It also seems to steady the gun a bit better.

I'm far from an expert, but have heard this is a fairly common issue with brand new 226's. The spring just needs a chance to loosen up and get broken in. From what I've heard a couple hundred rounds should do it.

My 226 came "Pre-Broken-In" so I've never experienced this, but I've seen this question and specific problem posted several dozen times on other websites.

If it isn't your support hand thumb pressing down on the slide release then it is most definately the springs in your mags. Not really a big deal. You can try shooting the gun more and see if things change or buy another mag and see if that helps. I actually set my competition gun so it doesn't lock back on the last shot. However, it is personal preference. Have someone else shoot your gun to see if it now locks back and that will tell you if it is your grip or not.

Pete

My 229 does the same thing occassionally. A guy I know also has the same problem with his 228. I think the above post is accurate--careful where the support hand thumb wanders to. At any rate, shoot it for a while first before sending it right out to Sigarms. I bet the problem will correct itself.

Regards,
Chris

Thanks for the input guys.

I checked my grip, and I don't get within 1/2" of the slide lock, but maybe I'm doing something a little different at the range...

I guess I'll be forced to go back and shoot again... I might have to put another few boxes through it... Oh, what a shame... It's such a burden to me... :D

matt said:
Thanks for the input guys.

I checked my grip, and I don't get within 1/2" of the slide lock, but maybe I'm doing something a little different at the range...

I guess I'll be forced to go back and shoot again... I might have to put another few boxes through it... Oh, what a shame... It's such a burden to me... :D

laugh.gif
Someone's gotta do it. [wink]

M1911 said:
Are you using mild loads? Some guns won't lock back if the loads are too light.

Yes. I'm using Winchester White Box, 115grn. That really makes sense. The first box was something by federal that I picked up with the gun.

I wasn't paying attention when I switched, just enjoying shooting, so it is entirely likely that the change in load corresponed to the slide not locking back.

Darn, now I'll have to buy several different type of ammo, and shoot it... Woe is me... [lol]

Thanks,
Matt

Matt I know you are busy so I volunteer to test out your gun. Just let me know where to pick it up along with 1000-2000 rounds of different types of ammo which I know you will gladly provide. I'll get it back to you soon with a complete evaluation. I really do not mind doing this for you. Really. Seriously. No, seriously.

Regards,
Chris

I have a SIG 226 in 9 mm that I bought new just over a year ago in Mass. I am happy to say I've never, ever had a problem with it of any kind and I always shoot Winchester White Box.

My amateur opinion would be to agree with BigWarden--once the recoil spring is broken in it should recoil far enough back with the white box ammo.

Some more thoughts: I assume you cleaned the gun when it was new? Even new Sigs need a cleaning prior to shooting, altough opions vary. Also, the recoil spring does have an orientation. It can be tough to identify but the smaller end of the spring goes on the rod first. If it's backwards you could be getting extra friction across the rod.

ChristosX said:
Matt I know you are busy so I volunteer to test out your gun. Just let me know where to pick it up along with 1000-2000 rounds of different types of ammo which I know you will gladly provide. I'll get it back to you soon with a complete evaluation. I really do not mind doing this for you. Really. Seriously. No, seriously.

Regards,
Chris

Hey, your alright! What a great group here!

Another_David said:
Some more thoughts: I assume you cleaned the gun when it was new? Even new Sigs need a cleaning prior to shooting, altough opions vary. Also, the recoil spring does have an orientation. It can be tough to identify but the smaller end of the spring goes on the rod first. If it's backwards you could be getting extra friction across the rod.

Yes, I did clean before shooting (I had to have some reason to play with it all night before getting it to the range!). The recoild spring didn't seen to want to come off, so I assumed it wasn't supposed to and left it there. I just lightly lubed it in place.

I think I'll go pull it apart and take a closer look at it.

Thanks,
Matt

BigWarden said:
I'm far from an expert, but have heard this is a fairly common issue with brand new 226's. The spring just needs a chance to loosen up and get broken in. From what I've heard a couple hundred rounds should do it.

My 226 came "Pre-Broken-In" so I've never experienced this, but I've seen this question and specific problem posted several dozen times on other websites.

This is my bet. Happened to me when my 226 was new. Been perfect the last 3000 rounds or so. Happy shooting. [wink]

I had the same experience with the 229 when I first got it, but a few hundred rounds through it, and it performs flawlessly. Also, be sure to keep it clean/lubed.

It sounds like the spring is on the right way--it would slide right off if it was reveresed. I had to use a small screwdriver to break the spring free from the end of the rod the first time I disassembled mine, but be careful not to scratch anything. Never pull the spring off from the muzzel end or you'll stretch out the sping. If you hold the spring by the end of the rod with the flange and press it down on a surface compressing the spring it will break free.

Like I said before, make sure the spring goes back on with the tighter end of the spring on the rod first. I took a couple of shootig classes at the Sig Academy and that's the way they tought us to clean the pistols.

matt said:

Off-topic: A Friend of mine was experincing some problems with his prostate...the doctor sugessted he have more sex with his wife....cleared it right up.

That's some hard medicine!

Arrrrr

-Weer'd Beard

Weer'd Beard said:
Off-topic: A Friend of mine was experincing some problems with his prostate...the doctor sugessted he have more sex with his wife....cleared it right up.

That's some hard medicine!

Arrrrr

-Weer'd Beard

hhhmmm... maybe I can get a note from my doctor...

"but hun, the doctor says we have to..."[smile]

Back
Top Bottom