• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SKS with grenade launcher and bayonet MA legal?

I've searched the forums extensively and have found some info, but I just wanted to be sure before making the purchase. I'm looking to buy an unissued Yugo SKS with attached bayonet and grenade launcher attachment. Is this going to be legal to purchase and transfer to Massachusetts via (FFL)? Are all SKS's legal in Mass? Thanks!

You can only have one of the 5 "evil feaures" to be in compliance. If you have a bayonet lug and grenade launcher it's not legal. Just grenade launcher attachment is OK though.

You can only have one of the 5 "evil feaures" to be in compliance. If you have a bayonet lug and grenade launcher it's not legal. Just grenade launcher attachment is OK though.

"(B) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of -
--(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
--(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
--(iii) a bayonet mount;
--(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
--(v) a grenade launcher;"

Does MA consider an SKS a semi auto rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine? I know that you can use a duckbill mag with an SKS but they aren't shipped with one, or does that make a difference?

Last edited:
And here is the confusion I was talking about...so since the SKS does not have an external mag then the bayonet and grenade launcher are ok?

Yugo SKS's (as well as most others) have a fixed magazine and are not subject to the AWB. Come to think of it, wouldn't most all SKS's be preban anyhow?

And here is the confusion I was talking about...so since the SKS does not have an external mag then the bayonet and grenade launcher are ok?

Just to be clear, if the SKS has been modified from its original configuration then it must meet 922(r) compliance. If, in the process of complying with 922(r), the rifle is converted to accept detachable magazines, it must adhere not only to the 922(r) requirements but also the AWB (i.e. less than 2 'evil features').

Kevlar will correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
I'll throw this out there though:

What if you disassembled your Yugo M59/66 and reassembled it minus the fixed mag? You now have a semiauto rifle with a grenade launcher attachment, bayonet lug, and is capable of accepting detachable hi-cap mags. Anyone that knows the platform well knows that most of those crappy aftermarket 20, and 30 round detachable SKS mags aren't going to function worth a damn, but they are out there. Does a detachable mag have to actually be in the room with you for you to be in violation of the MA AWB? LOL.

Wouldn't ALL Yugo M59/66's be "Preban" for all intents and purposes? They were made prior to the AWB after all...

They're preban only so long as they remain in their original configuration, once anything is changed it can no longer be considered pre-ban in it's original configuration

They're preban only so long as they remain in their original configuration, once anything is changed it can no longer be considered pre-ban in it's original configuration

Sounds like you may be confusing preban with C&R, (and I'm sure I'll be corrected if off-track here). Were your statement to be valid, nobody could take a preban AR and add, say, a VLTOR stock or railed handguards without making it "post" ban.

Sounds like you may be confusing preban with C&R, (and I'm sure I'll be corrected if off-track here). Were your statement to be valid, nobody could take a preban AR and add, say, a VLTOR stock or railed handguards without making it "post" ban.

I agree that the M59/66 is considered a C&R so long as it remains in it's original configuration, the confusion I have is that I was not aware that the M59/66 was capable of accepting detachable magazine in it's stock form (when I owned one it had already been modified so I had no way of testing this). I completely agree that if it cannot accept detachable magazines, and is not modified to do so, the AWB does not apply.

Last edited:
Pre-ban is really a meaningless term as it relates to firearms not subject to the ban. Since the SKS, in original configuration, does not use a detachable magazine, it was never subject to the “assault weapon” ban. That’s why having a bayonet, a grenade launcher, or adding an after-market folding stock is a non-issue. However, even if the SKS was manufactured in 1953, if it was never configured as an "assault rife" prior to the 1994 cut-off, doing so today would constitute the creation of a new "assault rifle", and would therefore run afoul of the current ban.
Of course there are many who will say that it would be nearly impossible to prove that such a weapon was never in assault rifle configuration prior to the ban, but I'd hate to have to argue that in court, unless you have some type of evidence.
As stated previously, the SKS's are most likely all C&R eligible, if they have been maintained in their original form. But that has nothing to do with the ban, merely as to whether they can be purchased consistent with other C&R weapons.

Just to be clear, if the SKS has been modified from its original configuration then it must meet 922(r) compliance. If, in the process of complying with 922(r), the rifle is converted to accept detachable magazines, it must adhere not only to the 922(r) requirements but also the AWB (i.e. less than 2 'evil features').

Kevlar will correct me if I'm wrong.

No correction necessary. [grin]

...adding an after-market folding stock is a non-issue...

It's not a AWB issue, but it is a 922(r) issue. Doing so would void the C&R status, thus requiring compliance with 922(r).

Pre-ban is really a meaningless term as it relates to firearms not subject to the ban. Since the SKS, in original configuration, does not use a detachable magazine, it was never subject to the “assault weapon” ban. That’s why having a bayonet, a grenade launcher, or adding an after-market folding stock is a non-issue. However, even if the SKS was manufactured in 1953, if it was never configured as an "assault rife" prior to the 1994 cut-off, doing so today would constitute the creation of a new "assault rifle", and would therefore run afoul of the current ban.
Of course there are many who will say that it would be nearly impossible to prove that such a weapon was never in assault rifle configuration prior to the ban, but I'd hate to have to argue that in court, unless you have some type of evidence.
As stated previously, the SKS's are most likely all C&R eligible, if they have been maintained in their original form. But that has nothing to do with the ban, merely as to whether they can be purchased consistent with other C&R weapons.

You don't have to prove anything, it's the prosecution that does.

You don't have to prove anything, it's the prosecution that does.
In the case of a Yugo SKS that is pretty easy for the prosecution to do...there were only a handful in the US before 1994 (or 89 depending of features in question), quick call to Century Arms (or whom ever is stamped on it as the importer) will answer the question "beyond a reasonable doubt"...

In the case of a Yugo SKS that is pretty easy for the prosecution to do...there were only a handful in the US before 1994 (or 89 depending of features in question), quick call to Century Arms (or whom ever is stamped on it as the importer) will answer the question "beyond a reasonable doubt"...

You still don't have to prove anything though, but you make a good point.

So can I buy an SKS and put a folding stock on it or not?

Generally, yes.

If it's a standard SKS (fixed magazine), it's exempt from the AWB, but must be 922(r) compliant.

If it's a SKS that accepts detachable magazines, it must be AWB and 922(r) compliant.

So can I buy an SKS and put a folding stock on it or not?

If you remove the bayonet and/or grenade launcher and don't have more than 10 imported parts then go nuts.

Edit: Actually scratch that - a folding stock would probably not be a 'sporting' feature so I'd say it's better not to risk it.

Last edited:
If you remove the bayonet and/or grenade launcher...

If it has a fixed magazine, there's no need, as it is exempt from the AWB.

...a folding stock would probably not be a 'sporting' feature so I'd say it's better not to risk it.

This issue is negated by making it 922(r) compliant (i.e. as you said, ensuring there are 10 or less imported parts.)

If it has a fixed magazine, there's no need, as it is exempt from the AWB.

This issue is negated by making it 922(r) compliant (i.e. as you said, ensuring there are 10 or less imported parts.)

Not AWB but compliant with import under 925d3 as required when assembling a 922r compliant gun. Collapsible stocks are generally not considered sporting features, and would be barred from importation.

Since there's no list of 'sporting' versus 'non-sporting' features there is a grey-area and you can of course take the risk, but then there haven't been any 922r convictions so in that case you may as well just go whole hog.

Personally, I'd rather not test the waters and I think the SKSes have a lot more mojo in their C&R state.

I'd also be willing to wager .308 Scar level funds on the grenade launcher & bayonet issue. There's ambiguity as to whether you could leave the bayo lug on since it's fixed mag and not under the auspices of AWB but the bayonet itself along with the grenade launcher are a definite no-no if C&R doesn't apply.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom