• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SKS questions and possible answers

About 99.999% sure that it will not accept AK mags, but rather an adapted "duckbill" style mag built specifically for the SKS. If the receiver has been widened, and the trigger guard altered for the mag catch, then it would be a crying shame. Why?

It sounds like you have a rather uncommon "non-refurbished" letter series SKS, built by the Tula arsenal in late 1955 and into early 1956, just before Soviet SKS production ceased permanently. The acceptance mark, as you have described on the right side buttstock, is only found on original stocks. The star on the left side receiver is the arsenal mark, in lieu of being found on the top cover. There also should be a Cyrillic letter following the serial number on the receiver - usually an (translated to English) A, D, I, or K.

Please tell us that the original ten-round internal mag has a matching number to the rest of the gun? And if this stock is a solid Arctic Birch (vs. laminated), it is considered extremely RARE in non-refurbished condition. Even a non-refurbished laminated stock version is highly coveted. I have many SKS's, but have never had the chance to land one of these.

This could be quite a valuable gun in the SKS realm, at $800-plus to a collector. IF... it is all original, completely matching, and not messed with in any way. Pics please!!!

Last edited:
yes martin there is a mark after ser# looks like the pi sign or close , the duckbill has the ser# of the gun on it TO1183 but it is not in the gun ,in seprate bag with stripper clips looks all brand new never used ,stock is not lamanated looks like mahogony very red with very good grain like a nice hunting rifle it is very shiny like laquer finish on it ,Iwill try to learn to do pix today . iam very new to computers and such as i retired and on a learning curve

Well, wingnut, it sounds like you have a "D" series in original Arctic Birch. The red color comes from the garnet tinted shellac. And the internal mag that is numbered to the gun is not considered a duckbill - just an original ten round internal mag. The duckbill is the aftermarket extended capacity version, and should be considered as an accessory only.

If it were mine, I would install the original mag, and keep the gun in un-tampered condition. That is ONE collectible gun in the SKS world. Congrats.

Though most of the second set of pics are thumbnail sized, it is still quite obvious that you have the real deal, there.

Now, get that original mag back into the gun, and treat it nicely - which means shoot it, clean it, and care for it. But don't try to pretty it up or refinish anything. It is a very collectible gun.

For disassembly and installation of that mag, try a google search of "SKS disassembly" and you will come up with many youtube videos like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRV5_RuFnyc

thanks for all the info, never shot it most of my shooting is with my 1911s ,only time i shoot rifles is hunting season, i see you are in w maine i hunted the skowhegan area a few years back great area, i hunt with a old marlin 375 win. lever good on bear. got a doe permit in mass this year 1st time i ever got one!

Anyone know if all Yugo SKS's are C&R illegible? I've found some posts that say the rifle has to actually be 50 years old, but that my be a CA rule only considering where I found the post, wanted to see if anyone has the right info for us. I have an SKS that an NH'ite wants to purchase.

thanks,
Chuck

Hello I just purchased a Chinese Type 56 SKS and would like to know some information on the quality and date of it. I read on a website your so-pose to take the first number of the serial number and add it to 1956 to get the manufacturing date which for mine would be 1959 but my stock while it has a matching number it also has a Star stamped on the right side of the butt stock as I've read Sino-Soviets had but reading the Sino's didn't have the sling mount on the bottom of the stock which mine does it confuses me further as to what my rifle exactly is. Here's some pictures to help. http://imageshack.us/a/img846/6060/1043442.jpg Number on magazine 197591 . http://imageshack.us/a/img10/3583/1043447.jpg Number on receiver followed by Triangle with 26 in the center This serial number reads 3197591. http://imageshack.us/a/img841/6059/1043448.jpg Serial number on trigger guard.http://imageshack.us/a/img834/7964/1043454.jpg Rear sight with N. http://imageshack.us/a/img849/4821/1043446.jpg Blade Bayonet. http://imageshack.us/a/img534/301/1043444.jpg Sling mount on bottom of the stock. http://imageshack.us/a/img10/6210/1043438.jpg Star stamp on right side of buttstock. http://imageshack.us/a/img109/3623/1043450.jpg Overall picture of the rifle. Any information would be appreciated thanks.

Welcome aboard, Bruce.

The star on the stock of the 1958 and 1959 factory /26\ guns is a relatively new discovery. The gun that you acquired was sold from China to Albania, and subsequently exported to the U.S. just a few months ago.

Before this shipment from Albania, the only occurrence of the star on the right buttstock was on the original Sino-Soviets. But several of these Albanian imports have been documented with the Sino star. So, history is being re-written with a gun like yours. Congrats, and keep her original!

You can load your pics into the post by clicking on the icon in the tool bar that looks like a picture of a tree. You may need to resize your photos, but they will appear in the thread replies, instead of the links.

Welcome aboard, Bruce.

The star on the stock of the 1958 and 1959 factory /26\ guns is a relatively new discovery. The gun that you acquired was sold from China to Albania, and subsequently exported to the U.S. just a few months ago.

Before this shipment from Albania, the only occurrence of the star on the right buttstock was on the original Sino-Soviets. But several of these Albanian imports have been documented with the Sino star. So, history is being re-written with a gun like yours. Congrats, and keep her original!

You can load your pics into the post by clicking on the icon in the tool bar that looks like a picture of a tree. You may need to resize your photos, but they will appear in the thread replies, instead of the links.
Okay thanks for the info, I have been wanting a SKS for a while now and saw this one at the local Gun&Pawn shop caked in cosmaline for $299. It being the cheapest I could find locally so bought it. Would you say this was a good deal considering the connections to it?

Yes, it is a fair deal.

In good condition, the wholesale distributors are getting $235 plus $20 shipping. And then if you don't have a C&R 03FFL license, it is an additional $25 to $50 to pay a transfer to a gun shop. So, you just cut out the transportation and the middle man, and brought it home for around the same money.

Picked up my first ( and only for now) Russian SKS. I am concerned about the possibility of slam fires.
Can someone give me any details about how to verify the year of the SKS? I am told that the earlier models had spring loaded firing pins, the middle did not and the later years once again did.

Also, what are peoples experience is involving slam fires? Very often? Not often at all? Trying to decide on if I should install a Murrays firing pin at the same time I do my tapco stock install.

Last edited:
Picked up my first ( and only for now) Russian SKS. I am concerned about the possibility of slam fires.
Can someone give me any details about how to verify the year of the SKS? I am told that the earlier models had spring loaded firing pins, the middle did not and the later years once again did.

Also, what are peoples experience is involving slam fires? Very often? Not often at all? Trying to decide on if I should install a Murrays firing pin at the same time I do my tapco stock install.

I have 20+ SKSs and have never had a slam fire. Your mileage may vary. Assuming it is an all matching gun in original configuration the receiver cover will have the year on it. If it does not, it is a 55/56 year rifle. It is your rifle and do what you want. please be informed however that Russian SKSs are the most collectible of the SKSs. I have watched the prices on very nice examples (not the every day rifle) rise from $375 to $600++ in just the last 3 years i have been in the hobby.

They are also no longer able to be imported into the U.S. Any modifications you do WILL decrease its value. There are many other SKSs that are better suited to be modified. (the Chinese come to mind). At a bare minimum, I would suggest you do nothing that modifies it permanently (like drilling holes to add a scope) and keep the original parts. That way if you choose to sell, you can return it to the original configuration or give the buyer the opporutunity to do so. originals sell much better than modifieds. if you don't believe me, troll gunbroker for a while.

one other thing to realize is that if you modify the SKS, it loses it's C&R status. you are no longer able to sell to a C&R license holder and must go through an FFL.

full disclosure, I am a collector of original russians.

Last edited:
Great info! Thank you very much. Budget does not allow for the purchase of another SKS right now unless its maybe for a steal at a show. ( Though I keep getting Delayed on FBI Background Checks so Gun shows are likely out anyway ) So I'll have to sit and think if I want to modify it or not it does have a pretty gorgeous stock and all I was going to do was tacticool it up. I'll grab some pics and throw them up sometime maybe this coming Thursday.

I've had 2 slamfires happen to me with my Yugo 59/66 and it only happened after I removed the cosmo from the bolt. I cleaned up around the bolt + firing pin and it's been fine ever since. I haven't run more than 50rds through it but it was still pretty damn random and I didn't know what to call it. Some digging on the SKSboards and I figured out that I had a slamfire. Goodluck to everyone that this doesn't happen to you.

Great info! Thank you very much. Budget does not allow for the purchase of another SKS right now unless its maybe for a steal at a show. ( Though I keep getting Delayed on FBI Background Checks so Gun shows are likely out anyway ) So I'll have to sit and think if I want to modify it or not it does have a pretty gorgeous stock and all I was going to do was tacticool it up. I'll grab some pics and throw them up sometime maybe this coming Thursday.

There are some nasty Chinese SKSs around right now for $240 or so. they might be a good place to start. Shooter's outpost in hookset NH has them. you can buy a rifle in NH but of course you have to pass the check

your best bet is to post some pics and let us tell you the value. you can then decide what to do. if it is a really good one, someone here may trade you for a more appropriate one to "bubba" +/- cash potentially as well.

I'll have to look up the law on how to handle a purchase in NH. If indeed you guys have some Norincos up there, I may be interested in spending that amount. 240 would be right around the price range I could afford at this point. I'll get those pics up and let you guys advise further!

To verify the year, the receiver cover will have the year stamped on 1949-1954. The 55-56 models did not have the year stamped on the cover, and instead had a star on the left side of the receiver after the serial number.

Springed pins were original in 1949 and 1950 models with original bolts. A very few 1951 examples have also been found with the early bolt/carrier system. All later models were floating pins, and they did not return to the spring.

I have been looking into getting an sks. relatively new to guns. really dont want to shell out all that money for an AR. I was curious to see if there was an simple way to attach a scope to the sks. not looking for anything fancy or complex just something to get dialed in

would it be legal to swap out the stock for one with a pistol grip and rail on top? I would assume it would be since it is pre ban. just checking since it needs to be mass compliant

thanks

Last edited:
If you want to bubba a sks there are plenty out there already done for you.
http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/choatesksscope/index.asp so far the only scope mount that has worked for me. Installed on a Chinese sks with a new barrel many years ago. With some nice rings and a decent 3x9 scope it held zero and 2" groups for several years. I later sold it to the machinest who installed the mount. Last I know the same mount and scope where still rock solid. His son shoots it often now in a free state.

If the numbers on the back of the receiver cover match the numbers on the left side of the receiver, then you have an easy way of dating the rifle by the year stamped on the cover or lack of.

FWIW that's a nice clean example of a Russian and I wouldn't do any modifications to it. Value is easily $450+ depending on year and arsenal stamp.

If the Marlboro gun show still happens at the end of January you can probably find an affordable Chinese or Yugoslavian model to outfit with a Tapco stock, etc.

funny SKSray I said many years ago and I did mine after reading your thread. Alot has happened in my life in the past 2+ years and it feels like a lifetime ago? King nothing, thats a sweat little rifle. Take it from me who did his share of damage to some SKS's 20 years ago. dont bubba up the russian. dont bother with scopes or mounts. If you want bubba theres already plenty of them out there.
all though a tad pricy I Had a chance to put some rounds down range with a sks with one of these on it http://www.timbersmithusa.com/products/sks/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=6 it was very comfortable for me.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/340740/butler-creek-sporter-rifle-stock-sks-synthetic-black this was not to bad either. The added length of pull just makes for a bit more comfortable. Really dont shoot what sks's i have left. Sold most of my bubba gear to help fund house purchase.

Well after some hard thinking and input from both you guys and my wife, I decided to leave this SKS alone and will be hunting for a cheapo to tacticool out.
Also from what I see from Martins explanation, I have a Star on my receiver next to the Serial Number so I guess its a 55-56.

THANKS for the input! :)

Back
Top Bottom