SKS And Massachusetts

Producer

NES Member
Just a curious question. Can a person buy a SKS from out of state without a C&R? Or does it follow the same catagory as an AK.

[Putting on my Barrios-beanie for the moment...]

Any gun that can be identified by a series of capital letters is an assault weapon - ESPECIALLY if one of those letters is "K".

Now, if you'll excuse me I think I just peed myself thinking about it.

Eeek.

[/Barrios-beanie]

That would be funny if it wasn't so close to reality.

Huh??

Either I don't understand your question or you are confused. At least one of is!

Please do a Search (button above) in the Gun Laws forum and read about what you can buy out of state, what you need to do when you get it home, and what is ILLEGAL to possess in MA.

Plenty of info on that here, it's all been covered before probably a dozen times or more.

Here's a radical thought:

Go to the CHSB/FRB website, click on the assault weapons roster and see if its there. [roll]

As an SKS:

1. Does not have a detachable magazine; and

2. Does not hold over 10 cartridges;

as manufactured, it cannot qualify under the "large capacity," still less the "AW" definition.

So what's the problem?

I did do a search Lens. Here and the Internet. Still confused. We can buy many Long Guns out of state. An SKS, as Scrivener says, only holds 10 rounds.

# of rounds is irrelevant!

When the mags were made matters!

If the rifle has "evil" AWB features, then it matters when the rifle was made!

Otherwise it doesn't matter as long as you possess a LTC!

Yes!

Just make sure that it is either pre-ban or post-ban, but not "no ban" configuration (regardless of where you buy it).

"# of rounds is irrelevant!

When the mags were made matters!"

Wrong and WRONG AGAIN!

What the above poster declares "irrelevant" is, in fact, CRUCIAL. If the capacity does not exceed 10 rounds (rifle or pistol), the gun is NOT "large capacity." Period.

Mags? WHAT mags? An SKS has NO "mags;" it has an INTEGRAL box magazine.

No detachable mag; NO "assault weapon." Period.

No detachable mag, no large capacity, no problem.

Hint: Try actually reading the roster, then tell us where ANY SKS is listed.

Thats what I thought. I bought an AK a few weeks ago, but had to buy one that was registered in MA. Due to the Magazines being Hi Cap, and the assault weapons ban still in effect in MA.

However, I have heard people tell me that since magazines for the SKS are available, this makes the gun illegal to buy outside of Mass. From what I found out these last few days, this previous point is not relevant because the gun was made to only hold 10 rounds using clips. I am sure anyone can make their own hi cap mag for almost any semi automatic rifle.

So we still all agree SKS is legal to buy out of state (without a C&R) and Mass laws are a confused mess. And don't put on a 30 round detachable magazine after the purchase.

well SKS can be modded to take Detachable mags.

I know that's why Cali has branded them as Assault Weapons.

Of course they can't just say "It's Illigal to Mod a automatic rifle to accept a detachable Magazine" or anything like that....

-Weer'd Beard

"Of course they can't just say "It's Illigal [sic] to Mod a automatic rifle to accept a detachable Magazine" or anything like that...."

No need to. The BATFE addressed that issue 18+ years ago, as I recall. Any owner of an SKS so modified had better be able to document the modification as being done prior to the ban date.

And an SKS is merely a semi-automatic.

FWIW

From Chapter 140: Section 121. Firearms sales; definitions; antique firearms; application of law; exceptions

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-121.htm

“Large capacity weapon”, any firearm, rifle or shotgun: (i) that is semiautomatic with a fixed large capacity feeding device; (ii) that is semiautomatic and capable of accepting, or readily modifiable to accept, any detachable large capacity feeding device

Seems it would all depend on your, scratch that, THE JUDGE'S definition of "readily". Anyone wanna wager how that decision would come down?

I could argue that a tree and a chunk of iron ore are "readily modifiable" to become a machinegun....AND I'm fairly certain I could get two senators from MA to sign off on that as well.

EDITED BY LENS-MOD: Changed color from yellow to red. Yellow is almost invisible (and definitely unreadable) with some of the background choices on this forum.

Couldn't anyone really who was good with metals and welding and that good stuff extend a magazine with little difficulty?

Kalahari wrote:

"Couldn't anyone really who was good with metals and welding and that good stuff extend a magazine with little difficulty?"

Someone with those skills could also make a semi-auto into a machine gun or even make a gun from scratch. So, just what are you arguing?

Scrivener said:
Kalahari wrote:

"Couldn't anyone really who was good with metals and welding and that good stuff extend a magazine with little difficulty?"

Someone with those skills could also make a semi-auto into a machine gun or even make a gun from scratch. So, just what are you arguing?

I have those skills, But I don't think I can make a "safe or reliable" gun from "scratch". I think anyone can make a "unsafe" gun though with some pipe a good sping and a nail.

Moderator said:
Scrivener said:
Kalahari wrote:

I have those skills, But I don't think I can make a "safe or reliable" gun from "scratch". I think anyone can make a "unsafe" gun though with some pipe a good sping and a nail.

Can you say "Zip Gun"

Haha I knew that already...But jeeze, these lawmakers seemed to have made these regulations without any knowledge of firearms.

Thats not too far away. And believe me, I'll be voting. If its one thing I hate about the people in this country, it's that many/most of them endlessly complain about the government and corruption, but don't vote.

If you don't vote, you have no right to complain.

"But jeeze, these lawmakers seemed to have made these regulations without any knowledge of firearms."

Close, but far too generous.

In fact, their ignorance of firearms is exceeded only by their antipathy towards them - and those who own them.

Remember THAT at the polls!

Scrivener said:
"But jeeze, these lawmakers seemed to have made these regulations without any knowledge of firearms."

Close, but far too generous.

In fact, their ignorance of firearms is exceeded only by their antipathy towards them - and those who own them.

Remember THAT at the polls!

AMEN!

Kalahari said:
Haha I knew that already...But jeeze, these lawmakers seemed to have made these regulations without any knowledge of firearms.

Of course the don't know anything at all about firearms. If they did, that would impermissably bias their judgement. For the same reason, legislators with any knowledge of the most basic economics have to excuse themselves from consideration of any fiscal or tax policy issues. Only someone who has learned everything they know about a particular issue from watching the Cartoon Network is qualified to deliberate and vote on that issue.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom