Sig Sauer 1911 holster recommendations

I have a Sig Sauer 1911 Target (no rail) which I love but I can't seem to find a good IDPA approved holster.

The Sig Sauer version of the 1911 has beveled edges on the slide which prevents it from fitting in some standard government size 1911 holsters. I found this out the hard way when the BladeTech I ordered from Brownells didn't fit.

The Sig Sauer version of the 1911 Kydex holster uses manual retention (SERPA like) which I absolutely can't stand.

I'm looking for an OWB in Kydek without manual retention and an open top (no thumb strap) leather holster.

Does anyone have a good holster recommendation that fits the Sig Sauer 1911?

Thanks in advance.

I have a Don Hume #721 made for a SIG GSR that holds my 1911 Target just fine. It is an open top pancake, so it should meet IDPA requirements, and is comfortable enough for all day full size carry.

I bought a Fobus to fit my Caspian with a rail. turns out it fits anything and it has become my go to holster for IDPA. Inexpensive as well..

Since others may encounter the same issue -

The Don Hume #721 does have Sig 1911 GSR compatibility, but I'm currently having a hard time finding this through the ole' standbys (Midway and Brownells)

I contacted Raven to see if they can recommend a holster for the Sig 1911. Their website specifically states that the Phantom for 1911's does not fit the railed Sig Sauer, so I inquired about the non-railed version.

Per the earlier post, Fobus looks like an option. I assume the Fobus Evolution is not the holster referenced above, but the standard Fobus 1911 holster. I have one for my P226 which seems to do the job.

Garrett industries looks like they do make holsters for Sig Sauer 1911's as well. This is another option.

Thanks to all who've posted thus far. I'm interested in any other success stories with this pistol/holster combinations.

Since others may encounter the same issue -

The Don Hume #721 does have Sig 1911 GSR compatibility, but I'm currently having a hard time finding this through the ole' standbys (Midway and Brownells)

You can order the GSR version of the #721 directly from Don Hume. You are likely to be told there is a several week delay, as I suspect they don't make these in large batches. Mine came in about 3-4 weeks, as I recall. However long it took, it was worth waiting for.

I received the Don Hume 721OT from Top Gun supply in a whopping 2 days.

I like this holster - it holds the gun relatively tight to the body, high enough on the belt, and is pretty comfortable. This gun needs a 1 3/4" belt as the weight will sag anything less. I have a 1.5" belt that works for my other pistols, but not this one.

As far as fit-the gun is nice and snug in this holster. I can still draw in reasonable times that are on par with my Desantis, Bianchi, and Galco holsters I have for other firearms.

My only complaint is the trigger is not completely covered, which is a function of the holster design, not the fit of this holster with this gun. With that being said, I would be surprised if you could find a better mass produced leather holster for this gun.

Here they are together - (is there no prettier sight than a cocked and locked 1911 in a holster? IMAG0252.jpg

Also: I also have a Desantis Intruder IWB which fits this gun as well. The clips are odd, a little tight (you WILL tear your pants if you try to shift the holster when the gun is holstered - ask me why I know this!), but it's comfortable and conceals well. Others have complained that the clips are too loose and easily break, but I have not had any issues thus far. I gave it a whirl for the price, and it seems to be a keeper.

I have a Sig Sauer 1911 Target (no rail) which I love but I can't seem to find a good IDPA approved holster.

The Sig Sauer version of the 1911 has beveled edges on the slide which prevents it from fitting in some standard government size 1911 holsters. I found this out the hard way when the BladeTech I ordered from Brownells didn't fit.

The Sig Sauer version of the 1911 Kydex holster uses manual retention (SERPA like) which I absolutely can't stand.

I'm looking for an OWB in Kydek without manual retention and an open top (no thumb strap) leather holster.

Does anyone have a good holster recommendation that fits the Sig Sauer 1911?

Thanks in advance.

I would try an "Uncle Mike's" kydex holster. At $19.95 thye are inexpensive and any fitment problems can be solved with a heat gun.

Just a follow up for anyone who's interested:

I ended up finding a GSR compatible IDPA approved holster from Blade-Tech, but you have to order it directly from Blade-Tech's website as most distributors don't carry them. The wait was about 5-6 weeks, but I finally found what I was looking for.

It fits great, handles well, and is quick. I have one for my M&P and can't believe I didn't think of checking the manufacturer directly.

A little late I guess but I use a Safariland 5187. Works good, adjustable tension and lined so it wont scratch your pistol. Costs about 40 bucks and in stock at brownells, midway, optics planet. Etc

Back
Top Bottom