• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sig P228 and P226 Navy

I've seen some posts on other forums and on Gunbroker.com suggesting that you can't buy a Sig P228 in MA anymore because Sig is marketing them to LE only. I've also seen somebody say they wished they could have a Sig P226-9 Navy shipped to a FFL in MA. Why they hell couldn't they? Both the 228 and 226 are on the list, and as far as I can tell, are "MA compliant" under the AG standards.

Obviously, we couldn'y buy new 13 rd. mags for the 228 or new high caps with the 226 Navy. The NSW Navy comes with 2 10 rd. mags however. So why would it be an issue? I suppose each FFL has to decide for himself, but is there any reason why these pistols couldn't be shipped here?

That 228 story is BS I believe.
I cant imagine that many dept's are going after 9's anymore anyways....

About the 226 Navy.
There is a difference between 226, and 226m.
226 is the model type. That is what was tested and passed the EOPS test, so it is on the list. That is only half of the equasion.
The firearm must also have the necessary features per the AG's regulations.
These (which for the SIG are loaded chamber indicator (ma**h***) and 2nd serial number, located under the slide on the inside of the dust cover) features makes the firearm completely mass compliant, (because SIG's already have the other requirements, like grip size and trigger pull), and therefore they give it the "M" denotation.

There is no 226NAVY-M available, therefore not available for transfer by FFL.

Thanks. I e-mailed Carl at Four Seasons and he had a similar response. I wasn't aware of the "M" designation for Sigs, having never seen one so designated. Damn those regs are absurd. I live about a mile from the RI border and wonder if I would have been better off in Cumberland.

So in theory, a pre-1998 (pre AG regs) Sig 226, 228 or 229 would be ok to bring into MA, since they are on the list, and the AG regs don't apply. So in order to bring one in state, you'd need to know the serial # and confirm the date. Or am I missing something else?

I hope the new AG can be convinced to do away with these regs. We've got to start putting pressue on Martha Coakley now.

Falstaff66 said:
So in theory, a pre-1998 (pre AG regs) Sig 226, 228 or 229 would be ok to bring into MA, since they are on the list, and the AG regs don't apply. So in order to bring one in state, you'd need to know the serial # and confirm the date. Or am I missing something else?
Yes, that is correct. And Carl at FS knows this, and will do the transfer. Some dealers wont take ANY guns from out of state, bacause they're too lazy to learn the laws. Some dealers wont even ship TO a mass ffl, again, scared and uneducated.
Same with Glocks, SW, and whatever else is on that list (not much).
Also, if you can prove (with FA10 forms) that a gun was in the state on the Black Day, it can be transfered to a MA resident again from out of state.

(FYI Some Sigs have a date code on the slide, go to sigforum.com and search around about that)

Lynne said:
Falstaff66 said:
I hope the new AG can be convinced to do away with these regs. We've got to start putting pressue on Martha Coakley now.

She won't be any better.

Indeed, the OP doesn't know Martha! She's a clone of Harshbarger and Reilly! All three were cookie cutter clones when it comes to the private ownership of guns issue.

LENS Wrote:
Indeed, the OP doesn't know Martha! She's a clone of Harshbarger and Reilly! All three were cookie cutter clones when it comes to the private ownership of guns issue.

Just wishful thinking on my part. Unfortunately, conventional wisdom is that Martha has the job in the bag. Nobody's willing to run against her. I'd run against her if it wasn't a complete waste of time and money.

Now that my plan to bring a nice CPO Sig 228 or 226 in for about $465 has been eliminated, it's back to the drawing board. I may need to reconsider a Beretta 92FS given the prices for MA compliant Sigs.

Looks like it's a 239, which is just to short in the grip for me. A 229 would be ok, although I like the balance of the 228 better.

"...Sig P228 in MA anymore because Sig is marketing them to LE only. "

My understanding is that the P228 is no longer available on the commerical market except for used examples as they are sold only to the military in M11 guise and to law enforcement.

regards,

Mark

Back
Top Bottom