Sig P220 - All types of Malfunctions

I bought a refurbished preban Sig P220 from a local store and the gunsmith said that he went through the whole thing, replaced some parts, cerakoted everything and lubricated everything.

I finally got it down to the range and I had a miserable time with malfunctions. I put about 200 rounds through it and for every magazine, at least once sometimes multiple times, the next round would not cycle and the magazine would disengage and slightly drop down. There was also a couple of stove pipes and problems with extracted spent shell casings.

I used two magazines, one sold with it is a sig magazine that has a sticker that says range use on the back and the other is an aftermarket one. Once I saw the malfunction I started just using the sig magazine which did not help.

Does anyone have any ideas about what could be going wrong? I plan to head down to the store to talk to the gunsmith, but wanted to see what people thought. I've considered ordering a couple of new sig mags and was wondering if the spring could use replacement, but didn't think that would explain the magazine becoming disengaged.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have no clue on the malfunctions but I'd take that shit back. Were you by any chance limp wristing?

Even though I knew I had a firm foundation in my hands/wrist/arms/legs, I was thinking that could be a problem so was cognizant to keep everything solid and it still didn't help out.

You can do the sig full service package for just over 80 dollars. They will go through everything, make it back to stock and function test. If you want to rely on the gun for anything beyond range play, this is the way to go.

https://www.sigsauer.com/custom-shop/

Interesting. Any idea if the cerakoting would void the warranty?

And are these services warranty related or does that not matter?

What ammo were you using btw?

This. OK. Did you try another brand of ammo? 185 or 230 grain?
Is the gun clean?
If the mag dislodged form the well are you sure it was properly seated in the first place? Any wear on the mag or the release?

What is a preban Sig P220?

I shoot with a looser than usual grip and have never been able to get the two P220's I had to ever have an issue at all period. The P220s were by far the most reliable .45 acp pistols I have ever owned next to my fugly gen 2 Glock which I shoot also with a loose grip AND it's way too big for my hands, but it hits where I am with it so I don't care. <3

The only non factory mags I would trust would be the Mec-gars, otherwise get rid of the after markets. Buy OEM mags! Are your mags 7 or 8 round ones? Newer mags are 8's the older ones were 7. I had a mix of each and all of the factory one's ran fine 100%. Guns are made to work with all their OEM parts and I never put after market ones in any of my firearms period. Why fix it if it ain't broke !!!!! Adding parts you increase of failure IMHO. K.I.S.S. <3

What kind of ammo are you running?? Is the spring stock or ??? These could be some other factors. I always ran 230 ball, but it ran fine with my 185 SWC reloads, too.

BTW the only semi-auto pistol I can't shoot with loose grip in an officers size 1911, LOL - those you have to choke to death, hence I got rid of the one I had .... by buddy shot it awesome, but then he's always been a better pistol shooter than me. I'm a long gun guy as a general rule.

Interesting. Any idea if the cerakoting would void the warranty?

And are these services warranty related or does that not matter?

When I've used the service, it's always been out of warranty. I also don't think the cerakoting would matter since they sell cerakoted guns. Give them a call and let them know the whole story. For the most part, they are good people who want to help.

"gunsmith" lol [rofl].
Take it back and just get a new one or an un-messed with one from the classifieds. Unless you got a killer deal on it, I can't believe it is worth the hassle and wasted ammo.

"Range Use" sticker tells me the previous owner had problems with it and didn't want it in the gun when he needed it to work. See if a new Sig magazine fixes the problem.

honestly. Just take it back. P220s are up there in price but it makes more sense to save a little longer for something that works than to settle for something that is not reliable. I believe there is one or two right here in the classified section. Good luck....that really sucks to deal with.

This. OK. Did you try another brand of ammo? 185 or 230 grain?
Is the gun clean?
If the mag dislodged form the well are you sure it was properly seated in the first place? Any wear on the mag or the release?

What is a preban Sig P220?

On tried the WinUSA 230 grain.

Definitely properly seated.

No apparent wear on the mag, but will check the release when I strip it.

Does not have the loaded chamber indicator required in mass. (Not sure what year that was implemented)

Last edited:
The winchester stuff is on the weak side, never had a problem with it though. Id try a box of federal, fiocchi or magtech, or even some 185s, if it still sucks take it back. If you were closer Id offer some of my stout reloads

Cerakote is the issue. If they put it on too thick it messes up the gun. I had a 43 I bought off a guy down the cape. That was totally fudged because of cerakote. You can rack it a few hundred times to break it in if you'd like

That covers a lot of ground. Sigs are some of the most reliable guns made; I'd use some dummy 45s to see if I could replicate the issue and then bring it back to the place you purchased it. If you need a gunsmith I would recommend Tim at Gartman Arms - the shop has the ability to test the firearm on the premises.

Yeah I can't recall what parts were replaced. I'm going to take a trip back to the shop and see what they say.

honestly. Just take it back. P220s are up there in price but it makes more sense to save a little longer for something that works than to settle for something that is not reliable. I believe there is one or two right here in the classified section. Good luck....that really sucks to deal with.

Literally the best 45 money can buy imho that's not a custom shop 1911

OP-

the P220 is a very reliable platform. would strongly advise the following:
1) OEM or mec gar mags only. do not use any aftermarket mags
2) try a few ammo types
3) have another shooter fire the gun under identical conditions

if the P220 is anything other than 100% reliable with the above 3 conditions, then the gun is without question defective and should go back to the dealer (or preferably have it sent back to Sig for repair with the seller paying for it). i would take pictures of the malfunctions to prevent any pushback from the seller.

OP-

the P220 is a very reliable platform. would strongly advise the following:
1) OEM or mec gar mags only. do not use any aftermarket mags
2) try a few ammo types
3) have another shooter fire the gun under identical conditions

if the P220 is anything other than 100% reliable with the above 3 conditions, then the gun is without question defective and should go back to the dealer (or preferably have it sent back to Sig for repair with the seller paying for it). i would take pictures of the malfunctions to prevent any pushback from the seller.

I'm going to try to get to the range tonight to get picture and video evidence and try some ammo combos. My wife was also shooting with me and the same thing happened to her.

Other than the first round I exclusively used the sig magazine that had the range sticker on it.

Ill get my hands on some new sig mags

I shoot with a looser than usual grip and have never been able to get the two P220's I had to ever have an issue at all period. The P220s were by far the most reliable .45 acp pistols I have ever owned next to my fugly gen 2 Glock which I shoot also with a loose grip AND it's way too big for my hands, but it hits where I am with it so I don't care. <3

The only non factory mags I would trust would be the Mec-gars, otherwise get rid of the after markets. Buy OEM mags! Are your mags 7 or 8 round ones? Newer mags are 8's the older ones were 7. I had a mix of each and all of the factory one's ran fine 100%. Guns are made to work with all their OEM parts and I never put after market ones in any of my firearms period. Why fix it if it ain't broke !!!!! Adding parts you increase of failure IMHO. K.I.S.S. <3

What kind of ammo are you running?? Is the spring stock or ??? These could be some other factors. I always ran 230 ball, but it ran fine with my 185 SWC reloads, too.

BTW the only semi-auto pistol I can't shoot with loose grip in an officers size 1911, LOL - those you have to choke to death, hence I got rid of the one I had .... by buddy shot it awesome, but then he's always been a better pistol shooter than me. I'm a long gun guy as a general rule.

8 rounders

Epping NH is not that far away if you live in New England. Drive up to the Pro Shop and pay for the reliability package. They will go thru the gun and ensure it is up to factory specs. I wouldn't take it to the gunsmith. Is he a qualified Sig armorer?

Sig makes some of the best factory produced guns on the planet. Their QC isn't what it used to be, but it's still very good. If you are close to the production source, it makes sense to have the folks that made the gun, service the gun, and they provide that service. You can always ship the gun as well.

Always use Sig or Mec Gar mags too.

Epping NH is not that far away if you live in New England. Drive up to the Pro Shop and pay for the reliability package. They will go thru the gun and ensure it is up to factory specs. I wouldn't take it to the gunsmith. Is he a qualified Sig armorer?

Sig makes some of the best factory produced guns on the planet. Their QC isn't what it used to be, but it's still very good. If you are close to the production source, it makes sense to have the folks that made the gun, service the gun, and they provide that service. You can always ship the gun as well.

Always use Sig or Mec Gar mags too.

I'm going to run some tests and get as much info as possible before I go to the gunsmith. I am not positive if he is a sig armorer and I don't want to release the shop's name until I speak with them.

I just ordered 3 8round sig mags from the website.

NH isn't too far so once I figure out what my options are I could potentially take a drive up there. Good idea.

You can do the sig full service package for just over 80 dollars. They will go through everything, make it back to stock and function test. If you want to rely on the gun for anything beyond range play, this is the way to go.

https://www.sigsauer.com/custom-shop/
$84.95, does not include shipping in either direction. Sig will sent a prepaid label for shipping to them and include return shipping for an extra $55. Total $139.95 - definitely not "just over $80".

Do you own any other semi-auto pistols?

Yes. Vp9 and after having a miserable time with my new guns, I switched to the ever reliable Vp9 and salvaged the range day a little.

I just remembered I rented a beat to hell P220 from America Firearms school in Attleboro and shot about 100 rounds and had no issues.

I will really focus on my technique when I go back to the range. But I'm skeptical where I was able to operate the rental one in Attleboro with no issues with the mag dropping out so I don't think I is my grip or limp writing.

Back
Top Bottom