Sig P220 - All types of Malfunctions

I've not shot the VP9 yet, or heard anything specifically, so I'm not sure how susceptible it is to limp-wristing (some pistols are more forgiving than others, my G29 for sure). It strikes me as odd that you're having the same very specific issues with two very different pistols, from separate manufacturers - more so because they both seem to be "dropping" the magazine when you're firing. No slight intended by it makes me think there is an operator error in here somewhere.

Cerakote is the issue. If they put it on too thick it messes up the gun. I had a 43 I bought off a guy down the cape. That was totally fudged because of cerakote. You can rack it a few hundred times to break it in if you'd like

While none of us has inspected your pistol--and thus we are speculating--the quoted respond was my first reaction, too.

I've not shot the VP9 yet, or heard anything specifically, so I'm not sure how susceptible it is to limp-wristing (some pistols are more forgiving than others, my G29 for sure). It strikes me as odd that you're having the same very specific issues with two very different pistols, from separate manufacturers - more so because they both seem to be "dropping" the magazine when you're firing. No slight intended by it makes me think there is an operator error in here somewhere.

The Bodyguard magazine only became disengaged a couple of times accompanied with the jamming.

I would be the first person to admit I am doing something wrong, but it is odd that I rented the P220 in Attleboro and it operated flawlessly and, in my opinion, I have only gotten better at shooting since then.

The same malfunctions happened for my wife on the Bodyguard and the P220.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I got back from the range and put 100 rounds through my P220 and had somewhere around 6-8 mag disengagements.

The spent casing of one round got jammed in the magazine well / feeding area while simultaneously the magazine disengaged.

I have 2 videos, but they won't upload so I'm wondering if there is a file size limit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's something wrong with the gun. The Sig P220 is as reliable of a pistol as you will find. I agree that the cerakote job is the first place I'd look. It's almost always the non factory stuff when a good gun won't run. Secondarily maybe the "gunsmith" is a bubba and he mucked it up. Either way it needs to be looked at by someone that knows what they are doing.

There's something wrong with the gun. The Sig P220 is as reliable of a pistol as you will find. I agree that the cerakote job is the first place I'd look. It's almost always the non factory stuff when a good gun won't run. Secondarily maybe the "gunsmith" is a bubba and he mucked it up. Either way it needs to be looked at by someone that knows what they are doing.

Hoping that isn't the case, but if it is, the shop will work with me to remedy the situation.

. . . . for every magazine, at least once sometimes multiple times . . . the magazine would disengage and slightly drop down.

Does anyone have any ideas about what could be going wrong?

If your magazines are correct, i.e., factory mags in acceptable condition, seems to me you should be looking at the mag release and catch components. The entire assembly pulls right out if you have the right tool. Something is preventing the magazine from being securely latched in place. Cerakote gunk? Someone had it apart and munged something when reassambling? If the mag catch is working, the mag can't drop unless you press the release.

It doesn't seem like he's hitting the mag release. His right thumb and middle finger provided a buffer over the button, while his entire left hand wrapped up high. Plus, Sig's mag release is in the same place as 95% of the other semi handguns. This mag release problem would have to happen with other guns if it were his grip. Kinda hard to mess that up on different guns and not notice it.

The usual solution is to buy OEM mags and better ammo. Either way, the stove pipe and self mag release at the same time would be very annoying and any discount saved on the gun price is lost with the aggravation. Good luck.

If your magazines are correct, i.e., factory mags in acceptable condition, seems to me you should be looking at the mag release and catch components. The entire assembly pulls right out if you have the right tool. Something is preventing the magazine from being securely latched in place. Cerakote gunk? Someone had it apart and munged something when reassambling? If the mag catch is working, the mag can't drop unless you press the release.

It doesn't seem like he's hitting the mag release. His right thumb and middle finger provided a buffer over the button, while his entire left hand wrapped up high. Plus, Sig's mag release is in the same place as 95% of the other semi handguns. This mag release problem would have to happen with other guns if it were his grip. Kinda hard to mess that up on different guns and not notice it.

The usual solution is to buy OEM mags and better ammo. Either way, the stove pipe and self mag release at the same time would be very annoying and any discount saved on the gun price is lost with the aggravation. Good luck.

New sig mags on the way to see if that's the issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here are the two videos:

https://youtu.be/eV2IpO88xR4

https://youtu.be/DUCN4KFvNWs

Disclaimer: I was trying to line stuff up for the camera so there are a few deliberate movements that look wacky.

Disclaimer #2: Please tear apart my technique as needed if you think it is contributing to the problem.

If this is your first Sig, a common problem is grip height and the decocker lever. Grip needs to be adjusted around the controls.

Your Original post says you bought a "Refurbished" P220. Is it refurbished or refinished? Big difference. The factory does a Refurbish that is a great deal. If it is just refinished and worked on a little by a local guy it could be problematic if not done correctly.

If you are anywhere near Cape Cod I would be happy to shoot some of your ammo to see if it acts the same for me. I shoot Sigs on a regular basis and have access to my local club's indoor range.

Check your grip as related to the controls and see if that is the problem.

Also, get your right thumb out from under your left hand. That is what it looks like on your grip. I may be wrong

Last edited:
[QUOTE/]

Your Original post says you bought a "Refurbished" P220. Is it refurbished or refinished? Big difference. The factory does a Refurbish that is a great deal. If it is just refinished and worked on a little by a local guy it could be problematic if not ...[/QUOTE]

Personally I wouldn't purchase a used Sig that wasn't factory refurbished. Like you said these are great deals and are factory spec. I'm thinking this is like having your local mechanic working on a Porsche. Sounds like a local gun tinker refinished the gun and "worked" on it a little bit. There could be other factors too, not saying they are not.

Last edited:
If this is your first Sig, a common problem is grip height and the decocker lever. Grip needs to be adjusted around the controls.

Your Original post says you bought a "Refurbished" P220. Is it refurbished or refinished? Big difference. The factory does a Refurbish that is a great deal. If it is just refinished and worked on a little by a local guy it could be problematic if not done correctly.

If you are anywhere near Cape Cod I would be happy to shoot some of your ammo to see if it acts the same for me. I shoot Sigs on a regular basis and have access to my local club's indoor range.

Check your grip as related to the controls and see if that is the problem.

Also, get your right thumb out from under your left hand. That is what it looks like on your grip. I may be wrong

Thanks for the offer. I'm going to go back to the range once my new Sig mags come in and see if I can rule out the magazine being part of the problem.

I'll also mess around with my grip per your and other people's pointers.

Help, advice?

First is to move his trigger finger up onto the frame of the pistol when not shooting. I tell my students that if I can see their finger when looking at them from the left side (assuming they’re right-handed, of course), they’re doing it wrong.

Second is to use a proper firing grip. The ineffectiveness of wrapping his support hand index finder around the front of the trigger guard is demonstrated by how every shot breaks that grip and it’s necessary for him to adjust every time. Then he’s using the both-thumbs-rolled-down grip rather than thumbs up and forward. And that may be what’s causing the problem. With his dominant hand thumb rolled down and positioned under his support hand, that could push it into contact with the magazine catch. With a proper grip, the dominant hand thumb should be on top of and away from his support thumb.

Help, advice?

First is to move his trigger finger up onto the frame of the pistol when not shooting. I tell my students that if I can see their finger when looking at them from the left side (assuming they’re right-handed, of course), they’re doing it wrong.

Second is to use a proper firing grip. The ineffectiveness of wrapping his support hand index finder around the front of the trigger guard is demonstrated by how every shot breaks that grip and it’s necessary for him to adjust every time. Then he’s using the both-thumbs-rolled-down grip rather than thumbs up and forward. And that may be what’s causing the problem. With his dominant hand thumb rolled down and positioned under his support hand, that could push it into contact with the magazine catch. With a proper grip, the dominant hand thumb should be on top of and away from his support thumb.

I'll see what I can do gripwise once the new mags come in.

I posted yor vid, maybe a new mag release is in order, easy to replace too.

Where is a good place to start looking / posting on the Sig forum?

I can't make an account on the Sig forum because I don't have a non free email address (other than my work one)

Yeah you got real bad trigger disipline. Get that sucker out of the guard and straight along the slide. Always. make your brain understand. Hell I hold a drill that way. Dont even think about it...

Back
Top Bottom