Sig 220 Vs. SW 1911 PD

I just picked up my SW1911PD on friday from FS. I was talking to my buddy (bloodhound) and we got into a debate on which gun he should buy next the Sig 220 or the SW1911.

I have never shot the Sig 220 so i could not give any input on it. I know that all Sigs are great guns and i hear its one of the most accurate .45's out of the box.

I should also add that the Sig would not be a main carry piece. More of a gun just to own and shoot down at the range.

Just wondering if anyone has ANY input on either of these pistols.

Thanks,

Richie

Last edited:
My favorite piece is my Sig P220 TT. Easily the most accurate pistol I own. If I take a trip to the sand box, I'm finding a way to take it with me. That's the best endorsement I can give.

I'm just an amateur, though. I'm sure a pro will be along shortly to tell you I'm full of crap.

They're both excellent guns but IMO comparing the two head on is
kinda strange, given that they involve totally separate modes of
operation.

Not to mention they're not even in the same weight class.

A full blown 1911 is about 38+ ounces, unless he gets a scandium job.

A P220 (standard) is like prolly low 30s. Almost a half pound difference.

I guess another consideration would be wether or not he's going to use
it as a defense weapon. If he's not well versed in running an SA gun, the
P220 is probably the better choice for that.

If he's only going to use it as a range toy or for gun gaming... there's no
comparison... the 1911 is better for that hands down, given that the trigger
can be easily massaged by a competent smith down into the 3 lb area. 1911 mags
are also generally cheaper, even for good quality ones.

I own both a 1911 ('97 Kimber CCT) and a P220 alloy w/german. Both have earned a spot in
my safe.

-Mike

Last edited:
Sigs are great firearms and I own a few and like them.

That being said, I traded my P220 for a S&W 1911SC (small billboard) and have never looked back. Of all the Sigs I have owned, the P220 was the only one which I could not warm up to. The best way I can put it is that it just did not feel comfortable in my hand. It was a personal preference, nothing more.

I now own two S&W 1911's, the SC-Commander and a full-sized SS 1911 and like them.

This is an instance where you need to find a P220 which you can borrow and shoot. If it feels good to you, then get one. If it doesn't, then don't.

I have a 2 year old Sig Sauer P220 and a 1 year old 1911 S&W. I can't agree more with drgrant. If you only want some thing just for the range go with the 1911 the trigger alone will make you more accurate. The trigger pull on a new S&W 1911 would be fine for most people.

While the Sig rates right up there with the best because of features as a carry gun it would take a little practice and time to be as good with it as a new S&W 1911 right out the box.

Even though I own both and have carried both, I perfer to use a S&W TDA 457 as a carry gun gun.

I think it all comes down to feel. I had a 1911 (series 80) Colt that just never felt right. Traded it for a 220, and I love the 220. I use it on the range and for carry. That said, my next handgun may very well be a 1911. I am not exactly sure why.

I have both the 220, and a few S&W 1911s. Ever since I bought my first S&W, the 220 hasn't found her way out of the safe.

I won't be selling the 220 anytime soon, but when I come back to her again, I probably won't ever feel the same about her as I used to.

Cross-X said:
I have both the 220, and a few S&W 1911s. Ever since I bought my first S&W, the 220 hasn't found her way out of the safe.

I won't be selling the 220 anytime soon, but when I come back to her again, I probably won't ever feel the same about her as I used to.

That poor 220 probably has some sort of complex now. [shocked]

My first .45 gun was a Sig P220 ST and I had it for a few years. I never liked that gun at all. I had a P226 .40 that I liked but the P220 just didn't feel right and the trigger was one of the worst I've ever owned. The gun was reliable but not nearly as accurate as my 1911's. The grip angle on the P220 left some to be desired.

For me it is a no brainer as I pretty much only shoot 1911's now. I'll own dozens more 1911's but never another P220.

This is my personal experience and others will disagree with me but I've felt this way now for several years.

Pete

They are both great guns but have a totally different feel to them.. I own a 1944 Remington Rand 1911. I built 1911s when I first started working at Sig.
In praise of the 220... I was given one a week and a half ago by the engineers and they asked me to try to break it by putting 1000 rounds through it fast. It took me 15 minutes. Only 2 minor burps. Around 650 & 800 rnds. it failed to fully chamber, a bump of the slide and it was back on track. This thing was so hot, the trigger was hot. If you touched the slide you'd have been burned bad.
So is the 220 a good gun? IMO yes and I plan on getting one. But I recomend the stainless frame as oposed to the alloy, heavier (41 oz) and I think the frame and slide slide better.

I have owned 2 Sigs, a 220 and a 245, I sold them both and will never buy another. I just can't shoot them, I shoot my 1911 far better and even my J frames. The triggers are horrible (even single action) and they don't fit my hand right at all. However I would like to try out one of the steel frame 220's just to see if I can shoot it. My 2 cents.

sig 220 vs sw1911pd

first things first. i am a 1911 guy all the way. i own 7 right now and have bought and sold more 1911 then i want to talk about. i miss some of them[crying] . but if i was a leo and working the street. and the pd wouldnt let me carry a 1911 .it would be my first choice. but thank god i dont have to make that choice. i think the sig 220 is a great gun. i have big hand so the size is not a problem. the p220 i have hits steel plates at 75 ft all day long if you do your job. they are better the a glock . and i know glocks a have 2 right know . they are both for sale? and have had over 20 glocks in the last 2 years.i keep my father gun shop very bussy. doing the paper work( i can be a pain in the ass for him sometimes )so i my humble opion the are the next best thing to a real 1911. (colt-kimber-sw1911-para-and the real hi end guns)
well that my 2 cents
howie[smile]

Back
Top Bottom