Sig 1911 vs Ruger 1911......Which one???

I am not sure what Sig1911 the OP is intersted in and Sig have over 30 models listed on their website, and the price vary quite a bit. It was mentioned that the Sig was $200 more (with night sights) than the Ruger. Make sure it's actual night sights and not their high contrast sights which is not the same as night sights.
I bought a Sig 1911 TacPac for $900 Fall 2011, and I have been pretty happy with it. The chamber seems pretty tight and it didn't like lead ammo, but other than that it works well. It came in a nice hard case, two magazines, a holster/mag pouch combo, and a rail mounted laser. I think that was a pretty good deal for a Sig.
It's a series 80 gun, but bought a shim at Brownells for $4.95 that converted it to a Series 70 and now the trigger pull is 4#. It was the first time I had worked on a 1911 and it took my about 1 hour to do it.
Here is a link to a review of it.
http://www.guns.com/sigs-tacpac-1911-kit-a-surprise-move.html
This is the shim I bought:
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=13121/Product/TJ-S-1911-SERIES-80-TO-SERIES-70-CONVERSION-SHIMS

It's been settled! Just got my SR1911. And took it to the good ole range. About 100 rounds through it. FANTASTIC! Love this Ruger SR1911!

I don't know how other people feel but the trigger was "crisp". There is an initial "click" feeling. At such a small travel distance. But then the actual pull, it just gives a good snap feeling. I couldn't be happier. Well maybe if I had two SR1911's! [smile]

Big shout out to Carl at Four Seasons! He had one reserved for me and man was it worth it.

I know of at least two guys who purchased the Ruger from FS this week, one of them picked up their new toy yesterday. I told him to call Carl and get on the waiting list just last week and now he has his shiny new 1911.

Well that could be my problem. I went to Flint in Fall River. I do have 500 down on the pistol and am on a waiting list. But they don't do the volume of FS so I guess I'm stuck waiting. I'm not a very patient man though. So if its a day longer than i was told i'll make the 1.5 hour drive (1 way) up to FS.

that might be me and it might not. But I went on the waitlist and a week later I had the SR1911 in hand, from FS. If your looking to buy a Ruger and your not on a waitlist somewhere then I doubt you will get one anytime soon. Put down some money and your name and be ready to wait. FS seemed like the only location to see them come in at least monthly.
Okay, time for your SR1911 brother here to be a wet blanket... I'm sure this beautiful, single-action, cocked pistol with the magazine inserted, the safety disengaged and a dowel resting on the trigger is unloaded, right?

And yes, I know there's still the grip safety but a) it's a mechanical device that can fail and b) you've got to pick it back up at some point!

All that said, ain't she a beauty!? Welcome to the club!

Okay, time for your SR1911 brother here to be a wet blanket... I'm sure this beautiful, single-action, cocked pistol with the magazine inserted, the safety disengaged and a dowel resting on the trigger is unloaded, right?

And yes, I know there's still the grip safety but a) it's a mechanical device that can fail and b) you've got to pick it back up at some point!

All that said, ain't she a beauty!? Welcome to the club!

Hahah, I see that now. My apologies, I should have had a disclaimer at the bottom. " the above pistol has had a full safety check, no live rounds are in the chamber or magazine".

Appreciate the call out, but I still love the shot!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

I've owned a Sig 1911 target now for about a year and have never had any issues with it. I've found it to be an extremely well balanced hand gun and more importantly extremely accurate. i would highly recommend the Sig 1911. that being said as others have stated why not get both or if at all possible go to a range that has both or a members that have both and see if you can try out each one to see which you like more.

Hahah, I see that now. My apologies, I should have had a disclaimer at the bottom. " the above pistol has had a full safety check, no live rounds are in the chamber or magazine".

Appreciate the call out, but I still love the shot!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Better way to support guns for pics is put some object underneath the back of the slide of the gun. I hate putting stuff through the trigger guards. It's not just a safety thing either, it also makes the pic look better.

-Mike

i love my sig!

IMG_3325.jpg

Nice looking gun, except I absolutely loathe shiny/slippery grip panels. My Kimber came with that crap on it. I kept the panels but they are never going back on the gun, at least not as long as I own it.

-Mike

Nice looking gun, except I absolutely loathe shiny/slippery grip panels. My Kimber came with that crap on it. I kept the panels but they are never going back on the gun, at least not as long as I own it.

-Mike

With it's match barrel and trigger, i swear it makes me a better shooter. Mike I hear you. i dont carry this, but if i did, i would have to change em

Well if you can find a Ruger, good luck to you. Historically Ruger has made guns that were durable and were a great value and excellent quality, and primarily aimed at the civilian market. Sig has been known for high quality guns, well made and well designed. Perhaps making guns best described as guns for the classes rather than the masses. Many elite military and LE organizations have relied on Sig for several decades now for being some of the best.

Alas, all that is changing and Sig is producing products that have a mass appeal and have greatly increased production at the expense of quality control. I tend to be suspicious of any new Sig.

If you are a Ma**h*** like so many of us on this forum, your options are limited. Frankly, I would take a good luck at S&W and avoid Para-Ordnance entirely until we see how the well the new ownership does. As an alternative, you might want to consider the Remington 1911. They appear to be well made pistols and I have heard nothing but good things about them.

Don't overlook the used market either. Non Mass-list pistols in the used market frequently come up on the forum and you might find yourself a decent Kimber or Springfield or once in a blue moon, a pistol with a rampant Colt trademark on it.

A decent and affordable bare bones .45 is the Auto Ordnance (the ones made by Kahr in Worcester) WWII model. A good basic GI type (with series 80 firing pin safety) .45 that reliably shoots hardball. Upgrade the front and rear sights, and just might have a gun that fits your needs.

Back
Top Bottom