SIG 1911 Fail to Load

Hi All,

Picked up a new Sig 1911 today and had about 10 FTL out of the 50 rounds I shot.

This pic is not my gun but is a perfect example of the issue I had.

1911failuretofeed.jpg

Any suggestions other than a good cleaning which I am about to do?

Hi All,

Picked up a new Sig 1911 today and had about 10 FTL out of the 50 rounds I shot.

This pic is not my gun but is a perfect example of the issue I had.

1911failuretofeed.jpg

Any suggestions other than a good cleaning which I am about to do?

did you try different mags? Did you clean the gun of its factory preservative? Did you lube it properly prior to shooting?

Some guns need to be broken in. If you still have issues after 500 rounds, then start worrying about it.

Looks like the extractor might be too tight. Will probably loosen up as the pistol breaks in. Keep shooting. Another possibility is a mag spring that has too much tension. This would produce FTFs on the first rounds in the mag when tension is greatest. Load mags full and leave them for about a week.

PS Use plenty of oil, I prefer 20w50 synthetic, and clean the gun after each session.

My Sig 1911 came PACKED with grease. Make sure to either use the slide release, or slingshot it hard to load it. Mine always hangs up if you baby it in the slightest.

Most likely extractor, one of the issues with external is you can't easily take them out, adjust the tension and radius the bottom of the hook. It will eventually wear in.

A friend of mine had this issue with a lone wolf long slide kit and it turned out to be the extractor was to tight an binding on the case rim. Take the slide apart an hand feed a few cases into the ejector to see how the fit is. He had to polish it rub area some ,then run it , he had only one FTF an it was because the rim was thicker than the rest. Also look for a burr on the ejector or sharp edge lol you just never know.

I got 2 powermags, but neither one of them will lock back my slide either from firing the last round, or racking it, returning them.

Going to get a couple Wilson Combat mags and see if they work better in the Sig1911.

I just experienced this with an Ed Brown 9mm 1911. The extractor was tight as hell but after pulling it out and tweaking it 5 times, it runs like a champ. Remoning the extractor and adjusting it is fairly simple.

I got 2 powermags, but neither one of them will lock back my slide either from firing the last round, or racking it, returning them.

Going to get a couple Wilson Combat mags and see if they work better in the Sig1911.

Try some Metalforms of Chip McCormicks. Just as good for a lot less money.

Whoops! Are the Power Mags made by McCormick? If so, please disregard my suggestion. Metalform uses a different follower so their mags are still a viable option.

Back
Top Bottom