SHTF Gun?

Dont forget, in true SHTF, you will want to be as far as f***ing possible away from the bad guy.
You are braver than me if you are going to be storming into buildings looking for bad guys. Il be watching at a distance with a scope.

So probly a Galil, saiga, FAL, AR10 or M1A - Your choice really.
[/QUOTE]

+1 Yes I to am prepared, but not like you think,I run towards gun fire.

1) S&W 5946....9mm w/hi-cap magazines
2)Mossberg 500
3) S&W Model 36

I need to acquire a large caliber rifle.

Lets see....since this is what I own:

SKS
Break-action 12GA

I think I'm going to look into having my 12ga cut down to 19" or so, so it's a little more packable. I would like to get it threaded for choke tubes, but i think that'd cost more than the gun itself, so i dont know about that.

Even as it is though, its lightweight (aka kicks like a mule), compact, eats anything (YOU put the round in the chamber, which is 3"), and has almost 0 moving parts, so its easy to maintain, and has a nice light single action trigger.

If I were to start anew right now I would acquire an M-1 Garand from the CMP. Ammo is still available in quantity from the CMP, unlike .308, which has all but dried up.

As it is I have a few more years worth of .308 set aside, then I'll need to reload for it.

I have multiples of each so I would either go with my Beretta 92's or Beretta 96's. I have plenty of mags for both so it would probably come down to ammo supply at the time the S actually did HTF.

Focus is on reliability, ease of use, abundant ammo, self & home defense, small game. Last concern is military style fighting scenario.

Must have
- Glock in 9mm (G17, G19, G26) - Personal defense
- Remington 870 pump, short & long barrel - Home defense. Hunting.
- Ruger 10/22 w/ scope - Small game, longer range defense. Cheap ammo.

Optional larger cal rifle in .556/.223 .308, whatever...
- AR, AK, Kel-tec SU-16, Rem 700, Savage, Marlin, etc. - Suitable for larger game & long defense

Where are you? Urban area, inner city, country, mountains. It depends on the situation. Are you attacking or defending? Well If i was in the city i would carry MP5 and a Glock22. If i was in the Country I would carry an AK-47 or AR-15 with again the Glock22. Mountains would be different, I would carry a Barret 50 cal sniper rifle with a really nice scope just so you could start killing stuff far away and i would also have MP5 and a Glock22 as my side arm again. Just remember "WINNING ONLY COMES WHEN YOU BELIEVE, NOT HOPE" and always SHOOT TO KILL.

What I don't understand is why so many people would take a 1911 ? single action and only 8 rounds max.

I just picked up a 1911A1 for when the SHTF. excellent stopping power, replacement parts are fairly interchangeable and available, very easy to work on and if it is carried in condition 1 it would be just as fast if not faster to draw and get the 1st round off than my sig.

I just picked up a 1911A1 for when the SHTF. excellent stopping power, replacement parts are fairly interchangeable and available, very easy to work on and if it is carried in condition 1 it would be just as fast if not faster to draw and get the 1st round off than my sig.

Still it's only 8 rounds, and heavy I'd rather carry more ammo,
remember
"you can never have enough ammo unless you're swimming or on fire"

Still it's only 8 rounds, and heavy I'd rather carry more ammo,
remember
"you can never have enough ammo unless you're swimming or on fire"

8+1[wink] and .45ACP has almost twice the Hatcher stopping power rating of 9mm, so all things being equal, 16 rds of 9mm and 9 rounds of .45 are pretty equal on paper. as far as weight goes i (personally) prefer a bit heavier of a gun, makes for faster followup shots.

I wouldn't say that everyone should only have a 1911. I personally will be carrying a 1911 in a shoulder rig and a P239 (.357 SIG) on my hip (or 1911 on the hip and 239 on the shoulder) both w/ as many magazines as i can get together. I just think the availability of magazines & parts along with the interchangeability of pieces and the ease of repairs make the 1911 a good long term SHTF sidearm, not to say a Glock 17 or P228 wouldnt be either.

Last edited:
8+1[wink] and .45ACP has almost twice the Hatcher stopping power rating of 9mm, so all things being equal, 16 rds of 9mm and 9 rounds of .45 are pretty equal on paper. as far as weight goes i (personally) prefer a bit heavier of a gun, makes for faster followup shots.

I wouldn't say that everyone should only have a 1911. I personally will be carrying a 1911 in a shoulder rig and a P239 (.357 SIG) on my hip (or 1911 on the hip and 239 on the shoulder) both w/ as many magazines as i can get together. I just think the availability of magazines & parts along with the interchangeability of pieces and the ease of repairs make the 1911 a good long term SHTF sidearm, not to say a Glock 17 or P228 wouldnt be either.

I understand and what would your long arm be?

Back
Top Bottom