SHTF Conundrum: Liberal Friends come for shelter

If someone shows up with no supplies and no firearms knowledge, I wouldn't immediately classify them as useless. There's a lot more to a SHTF situation than standing guard with your gun. Even the most basic of things: you might need people to cook, people to gather water, gather and chop firewood, watch your back while you fix the generator, etc.

Even if the person's sole responsibility was staying awake and watching for strangers approaching the house while you get a few hours of sleep, that would make them more than useless.

Bottom line is that, as long as it wouldn't put my family in danger or dangerously low on supplies, I wouldn't turn any friend away. And I certainly don't think that political views is a valid way to determine who to let in and who to turn away. Now if you think that they would be a danger to you, or if you simply don't have enough space or supplies to accommodate them, then turn them away.

Yeah, that is EXACTLY what I am saying. I view liberals, and their poisonous views as 100% of the reason that we are here. Their opinions have consequences.

I think (maybe I didn't quite spell it out in my previous post) - that your biggest problem is going to be "attitude education". This is why I suggest starting to mold their attitudes with appropriate pieces of information.

People's attitudes DO change. One method that seems to work very well is to expose them to information that predicts an event is going to happen - and then sit back and watch it happen.

I had been telling my girlfriend I wanted to get a generator for a while. She always said "why do we need that". Honestly I could have just gone out and bought one and not told her. I usually spent the money on guns though. When the ice storm came around - she hemmed and hawed and finally gave in when the inside temp in the house was in the 40's. One extremely cold night trying to get some sleep does wonders to change a person's mind. We drove to Maine - bought a generator. Now the next time I don't have to worry about that little piece of the survivalist puzzle.

My suggestion would be to find some topic you know your friends are interested in. Maybe they have money in the bank (send them stories about how the FDIC is going to go bankrupt) - maybe they have a lot of money in 401k's (send them stories about the govt. confiscating 401k's). Maybe they have a kid with problems who needs drugs (send them stories about the raw materials for drugs drying up because of the economic breakdown).

Somewhere there is a wedge that you can use to get these people thinking. If they are in full on denial mode - you have crack open their ignorant heads somehow.

If you are looking for gloom and doom stories I can send you a few sites to use to grab the stories you can send them. Here on NES we usually get a pretty good cross section of the appropriate info to keep people up to date.

I think (maybe I didn't quite spell it out in my previous post) - that your biggest problem is going to be "attitude education". This is why I suggest starting to mold their attitudes with appropriate pieces of information.

People's attitudes DO change. One method that seems to work very well is to expose them to information that predicts an event is going to happen - and then sit back and watch it happen.

I had been telling my girlfriend I wanted to get a generator for a while. She always said "why do we need that". Honestly I could have just gone out and bought one and not told her. I usually spent the money on guns though. When the ice storm came around - she hemmed and hawed and finally gave in when the inside temp in the house was in the 40's. One extremely cold night trying to get some sleep does wonders to change a person's mind. We drove to Maine - bought a generator. Now the next time I don't have to worry about that little piece of the survivalist puzzle.

My suggestion would be to find some topic you know your friends are interested in. Maybe they have money in the bank (send them stories about how the FDIC is going to go bankrupt) - maybe they have a lot of money in 401k's (send them stories about the govt. confiscating 401k's). Maybe they have a kid with problems who needs drugs (send them stories about the raw materials for drugs drying up because of the economic breakdown).

Somewhere there is a wedge that you can use to get these people thinking. If they are in full on denial mode - you have crack open their ignorant heads somehow.

If you are looking for gloom and doom stories I can send you a few sites to use to grab the stories you can send them. Here on NES we usually get a pretty good cross section of the appropriate info to keep people up to date.

A quote I saw once at a training facilty: "When the drums beat for war, its too late to train the troops"

Apply it as necessary to a SHTF situation.

I've got a large family and it's been discussed what would happen in a SHTF situation, and it was agreed on that when we all make our way to the BOL it's blood relatives only. For more than a year everyone (35 right now) every month contributes $5 cash, or now gold or silver [wink], and $5 -$10 survival goods (medicine, food, storage, seeds even ammo) so we have a cache already there when we show up, plus whatever everyone can bring with them as each is storing there own in case a bugout is not possible.
I do believe you need more than a few people to make it long term in TSHTF scenario, if you can trust them let them in, but they will be responsible for themselves all you provide is shelter. (And then they can be protein later on[smile])

There is enough to worry about without taking care of liberals. Make sure you can trust those around you 100%, liberals (and some of "us") can't be trusted.

This is a tough question. I'm married and I have two children. Lately, I've taken the attitude that I have to hope for the best but PLAN for the worst. I'm starting to get my own planning together. I've noticed that so far it is: a) hard, and b) expensive. Nobody hopes we pull through our current problems smoothly, but I think it is far better to be prepared than not.

As such, I have been torn by this question. I'm sure 99% of the people I know (and care about) are not planning like I am, and if I tried to talk them into it, they would laugh at me.

I'd be conflicted by two things. First, it would be my nature to want/try to help those if the SHTF bad. Second, my wife, 7 month old, and 2 year old daughter are the most important things to me and I deem it my very serious obligation to provide for them and protect them.

So, if a good friend, or even close relative shows up and needs food, a gun, shelter, etc., I would unfortunately be forced to examine the situation as a potential trade off with my wife and children. If I give person X a can of food, could it be the can that causes my child to go hungry? If someone shows up sick, could the medical supplies have been used to save my wife or child's life later?

Unfortunately, when I ask these types of questions, I'm forced to conclude that for practical reasons, I may have to turn people away, or aggressively protect my resources if need be.

I believe we are all responsible for ourselves in the end. I see my duty to my own family as my only obligation if the SHTF.

+1

Even some of my blood relatives can piss up a rope. They voted for Obama, so the state can come and take care of them when TSHTF.

Like my mother always said C.Y.A. If SHTF bad enough, you gonna need people. to help with the supply of food getting replenished, standing watch, building shelter, and anything else you can think about that will make the days go by smooth until order is restored. friends that were in the military are always welcome and hunters and fishermen are welcome. I feel the larger and more trained the group the easier it will be to provide for the group. It is also nice to keep the people you trust most with you. That is one less person you have to worry about shooting you in the back.

Like my mother always said C.Y.A. If SHTF bad enough, you gonna need people. to help with the supply of food getting replenished, standing watch, building shelter, and anything else you can think about that will make the days go by smooth until order is restored. friends that were in the military are always welcome and hunters and fishermen are welcome. I feel the larger and more trained the group the easier it will be to provide for the group. It is also nice to keep the people you trust most with you. That is one less person you have to worry about shooting you in the back and eating your innards.

I fixed it for you

Most of my friends and relatives say they're coming to my place when the SHTF. I laugh and tell them, first of all, you'd never make it. Second, you're not welcome, except for one of my buddies and my brother, who will bring weapons and food. Thirdly, they'd be risking the possibility of being taken under fire to keep them away. They're making this world the way it is, let them live in it.

It is funny we get onto the liberals so much and think they can not be changed. My wife is about as liberal as it can get. Obama bumper stickers, feeding the poor, feels that paying taxes is "good", etc.

She used to be amazingly anti-gun. Hated the things. Said nobody should EVER own one, there is no reason for one, etc.

Then i said "Well, i own guns. Several guns. And i own them to protect myself and YOU from people who would do us harm. You can be dead, or you can be alive, and at the end of the day... i know where I want to be".

A few days of watching the news and me pointing out how many defenseless women are attacked, raped, mugged, etc... and not to mention home invasion... she agreed the world is a dangerous place

We took the MA concealed weapon class, and we're going shooting wednesday.

She still thinks i'm a bit nut with keeping a few weeks of nonperishables and such... but she's starting to get it. Even wants a generator and wood stove in our future home because after this year's ice storm... she got it

so liberals CAN be trained... but if they show up they better be able to scavenge, harvest, chop... something...

so liberals CAN be trained... but if they show up they better be able to scavenge, harvest, chop... something...

Yes, they can be trained, that's why I didn't resort to the "shoot on sight" that my wife seemed to be advocating (did I mention that I love my wife). But it is SKILLS that I need, not somebody to tell me "how right you were."

I need a good general contractor and a machinist for The Group.

My wife and I have been talking about this one. We have a lot of liberal friends. They aren't "friends", they are real, but they are unabashed liberals (we stay away from politics). Now, they are about as unprepared as you can be: live in Boston, about 2 hours worth of supplies, close to a red zone, etc, so they likely wouldn't survive the first night of SHTF, but what if they make a break to your alamo?

Part of me wants to turn them away, but how could I? The other problem is that they wouldn't be bringing anything to the table except for a bunch of hungry mouths.

What say you?
Why do you think they would head your way?

Don't worry, they will never make it out of Boston. You can barely drive from Boston to NH in any reasonable time on a summer Friday night: so how would that change for the better at the end of the world as we know it? They probably have 1/8th tank of gas in their car now, anyway.

On more than one occasion, I've had a few people say they would stop by at the EOTW, So I can imagine the 50+ people on my front lawn trying to get in. It’s a good thing I moved and didn’t mention the new address!

Liberals are the hardest people to get the EOTW across. I recently had a conversation with my GF's Brother about firearms, he told me that they were the stupidest thing to own, because 1 argument you would pick up the gun and kill the other person with it.... The other part that scares me about Liberals, If you spent your entire life thinking that the cops were just going to come and make the bad man stop, or that the Gov was really there to help YOU, how could you possibly develop the mindset needed to defend yourself. You have been on the border of being a victim your entire life, so why now at the EOTW would you chose a different mindset. Someone brought it up that they could stand guard while you sleep. If these people have such a poor discipline that they could not prepare for an Ice storm or Power outage, how could they fathom the EOTW? I wouldn't be able to rest easy with them on watch, who knows, they might get bored and not pay attention, after all, if anything happens the Cops will be there to keep the bad man/hordes/looters/zombies away.

Back to the OPs message, It’s hard to turn them away, A lot of my good friends are Liberals who never thought the power would go out and not come back on, I would really have to weigh their abilities to let them in, and I agree with another poster, if they managed to make it alive, they might have some useful trait. Worst case, give them a day or 2 rest, and send them on their way. They made if from Boston to NH, on foot, they might be better off just walking until they find a nice safe haven elsewhere!

Last edited:
i have flat out told people i will shoot them on site if they didn't have any useful skills to bring the the table...

Yup, there is only a handful of people welcome at my "colony"

A couple weeks ago, My friends G.F.(Anti-gun) asked if She was welcome when the Zombie's came. I laughed and said "it depends if you still don't like guns" She will be shooting for the first time this weekend. [wink]

I would tell them to call 911 and ask the police to protect them, since they are obviously too stupid to do so on their own. I certainly wouldn't roll out the welcome mat![smile]

What these people don't realize is the police will be busy protecting THEIR families and keeping themselves alive. In a real serious situation it will be every man for himself.

What these people don't realize is the police will be busy protecting THEIR families and keeping themselves alive. In a real serious situation it will be every man for himself.

I agree strongly with this. Why are the police and other public entities going to protect you when their own are being endangered? I knwo if I was a cop in that position I'd run home to help my own.

As for myself and liberals. I pretty much don't talk to any of the libtards that I used to know so almost anyone I know personally would be welcome at my house. They'd just better bring something to the table besides an empty stomach.

This is a topic that's come up A LOT in my discussions with others.

When it comes down to it, most of us are not going to draw down on people that we've counted as friends, or family members (except for maybe one I can think of ;-}

Short of moving away with no forwarding address, decide who is worthwhile NOW - and make plans for the best of 'em to show up (not necessarily with their knowledge).

And start discouraging all the losers NOW.
Lie to them, hide any preps you have made from them, say your pallet of MRE's got eaten my mice, tell them you sold your guns because you needed $$ for an operation, anything to try to convince them you will be as helpless as them if it comes to a 'survival' situation.

If the worthwhile ones never show up, no big loss - just means you've got some extra stuff packed away.

When the worthless ones show up, you can continue with the story that you're unprepared and desperate too, and were just now heading out to the nearest refugee camp :-|

Simply explain that your bug out location should be easy to find, just follow the gun shots.

They should get the point.

Will they be an asset or liability? If 'training' is required, how long will it take? There won't be a lot of time for re-education, perhaps they'd be better off taking a ride with the nice man who can tend to all their needs.

-MS

Someone made the point, if they make it to NH after SHTF in Boston, they just might have what it takes.

I'd give them the opportunity to prove themselves. But I hope they brought along food or medicine at the very least.

I'd give them the opportunity to prove themselves. But I hope they brought along food or medicine at the very least.

Negative. Kill them and eat them, but never let them in. Sooner or later they will give away your position to the NWO overlords. They'll set you up. They're liberals. That's what they do.

No Liberals allowed!,they are the reason the SHTF.
....unless as resident "Skin-Hound" Palladin says, "Shes Hot"...then maybee.

How about a more complex version of this question...

Your best friend is decidedly not a liberal. He's mildly "awake", a half assed shooter, owns a couple of pistols and a shotgun.

Refuses to see how bad things really are, and won't sacrifice to prepare for things going south.

When pressured to buy the most basic of SHTF items, he won't. Not enough money. Tells you "besides, you have extras".

Bought a 6K motercycle in the past year... But still is relying on you to have the SHTF prep covered.

Love him like a brother.

A heart to heart will likely result in a falling out. He simply can't commit until proof is irrefutable. Knows shit isn't right, and aint going right, but refuses to see how wrong things are. Flat out doesn't believe facts like "the currency WILL collapse". Doesn't believe that the DHS memo released earlier this year could be real.

The guy is smart, capable and hard working.

What do you do?

How about a more complex version of this question...

Your best friend is decidedly not a liberal. He's mildly "awake", a half assed shooter, owns a couple of pistols and a shotgun.

Refuses to see how bad things really are, and won't sacrifice to prepare for things going south.

When pressured to buy the most basic of SHTF items, he won't. Not enough money. Tells you "besides, you have extras".

Bought a 6K motercycle in the past year... But still is relying on you to have the SHTF prep covered.

Love him like a brother.

A heart to heart will likely result in a falling out. He simply can't commit until proof is irrefutable. Knows shit isn't right, and aint going right, but refuses to see how wrong things are. Flat out doesn't believe facts like "the currency WILL collapse". Doesn't believe that the DHS memo released earlier this year could be real.

The guy is smart, capable and hard working.

What do you do?

Still would be no.

Back
Top Bottom