SHTF Conundrum: Liberal Friends come for shelter

Absent something that wipes out 50% or more of the population, while miraculously leaving the well prepared alone, SHTF will make refugees of just about everyone. There are TOO MANY PEOPLE between you and safety/self reliance. Your plans are for nothing if you have to travel past millions of hungry, confused people. Preparedness will not save you, just blind luck.

If you already live on the outskirts, then maybe!

Liberal or not, if they are family or like family and willing to carry their weight and duties, they will be welcome.

I think James Wesley Rawles puts it best in his two books: Patriots and Surviving TEOTWAWKI. Charity is something that you need to consider in your survival planning.

There will be people you know and love that will need charity when the SHTF. There will be strangers who will need a small handout to keep going.

My flaming liberal brother-in-law and his flaming liberal wife who I love like my own family will be welcome if they pitch in and help with security, cooking, etc.

More here on charity from Rawles: http://www.survivalblog.com/charity.html

How about a more complex version of this question...

Your best friend is decidedly not a liberal. He's mildly "awake", a half assed shooter, owns a couple of pistols and a shotgun.

Refuses to see how bad things really are, and won't sacrifice to prepare for things going south.

When pressured to buy the most basic of SHTF items, he won't. Not enough money. Tells you "besides, you have extras".

Bought a 6K motercycle in the past year... But still is relying on you to have the SHTF prep covered.

Love him like a brother.

A heart to heart will likely result in a falling out. He simply can't commit until proof is irrefutable. Knows shit isn't right, and aint going right, but refuses to see how wrong things are. Flat out doesn't believe facts like "the currency WILL collapse". Doesn't believe that the DHS memo released earlier this year could be real.

The guy is smart, capable and hard working.

What do you do?

He's food.

if his wife is hot, keep her to help repopulate the new world! [rofl]

you're getting a new motorcycle. which will be a badass method of transporation during the apocalypse.

lonebikeroftheapocalypse.jpg
OMG! It's The Lone Biker Of The Apocalypse!

Just curious... how many body parts could you remove from a guest/visitor during SHTF for a food source and yet keep them functioning for work details???

[rofl][rofl][rofl]

Just curious... how many body parts could you remove from a guest/visitor during SHTF for a food source and yet keep them functioning for work details???

[rofl][rofl][rofl]

You know, I bet there is someone out there that has figured it out! [wink]

If they are true friends then you have something in common. The question is can you live with yourself if you turn them away and something does happen to them? Thats the moral question. From a practical standpoint can you do all that needs to be done to survive? Stand guard, cook, clean, garden, cut wood etc. Sure you have your year of food and gas but what happens when that runs out? If they are hardworking folks who would be willing to work then I would put back some extra beans and rice in case they show up. If they asre of the useless eater variety who will sit on the couch and ask for a latte then why are they your friends now?

survive

the first thing is get out of dodge.I bought 90 acres,10 acres crop land and rest woods/timber.a farmer rents my crop land.the woods holds the deer.its pine and oak.acorns and fresh sprouts. small pond with fish.large garden.open sight all around.plenty wood for heat/cooking.it would be better if house was made of stone.at least 3 exits out maybe more.

I'm still working to resolve the oxymoron ... "liberal friends". Sorry. I still don't get it.

My best friends are a close-knit group that I've grown up with. A few of them I've known since I was 5. The rest I've known since secondary school. And growing up in the MA public school system in an affluent town meant that there was a 90% chance you'd grow up as a liberal. Even I have to admit that I "went with the flow" growing up when it came to political issues. I listened to what people (liberals) were saying... and without giving it much thought... my knee jerk reaction was always, "yeah.... that sounds about right."

In college I decided that one was pretty much stupid if they voted or held political beliefs solely based on party lines. So I have been a registered independent ever since... and I vote for who represents my values best, whether they be D or R... or L or I.

Anyway... needless to say, I'm "awake" to the woes of liberalism. And a couple of my friends are starting to wake up as well. However... I'm afraid the rest are lost causes.

But lost causes or not, I love them all. Politics aside, we have a ton in common. They are my best friends. And I consider them all family... and they will all be welcome in my house if they show up. Besides... If I DID draw down on them... they'd smack my gun aside and punch me in the face... which is pretty much what I'd do to them if they drew down on me [wink]... we're such close friends that there is no political correctness in our interactions... no walking on eggshells. We know each other too well. If one of us does something stupid, we'd make sure they knew it quick [smile]

All but one of them have gone shooting with me. Half of them own at least one gun. And even the lost causes bring much to the table when it comes to surviving. After all, politics isn't everything.

Since nobody's asked.....are they hot?

My female friends ARE quite attractive [smile]

Liberal or not, if they are family or like family and willing to carry their weight and duties, they will be welcome.

I think James Wesley Rawles puts it best in his two books: Patriots and Surviving TEOTWAWKI. Charity is something that you need to consider in your survival planning.

There will be people you know and love that will need charity when the SHTF. There will be strangers who will need a small handout to keep going.

My flaming liberal brother-in-law and his flaming liberal wife who I love like my own family will be welcome if they pitch in and help with security, cooking, etc.

More here on charity from Rawles: http://www.survivalblog.com/charity.html

This [grin]

Last edited:
The guy is smart, capable and hard working.
There's a lot of stuff you can stockpile, make, do without, or scavenge when things go pear-shaped. Someone you can trust to have your back isn't among them.

Make him take the 2AM watch as penance and call it even.

But lost causes or not, I love them all. Politics aside, we have a ton in common. They are my best friends. And I consider them all family... and they will all be welcome in my house if they show up. Besides... If I DID draw down on them... they'd smack my gun aside and punch me in the face... which is pretty much what I'd do to them if they drew down on me [wink]... we're such close friends that there is no political correctness in our interactions... no walking on eggshells. We know each other too well. If one of us does something stupid, we'd make sure they knew it quick [smile]

BFFs. I'm deeply moved.

kittens.jpg

I guess I'm just cranky. Progressives are enemies of freedom. They would enslave me and turn my sons into wusses. For them, all of humanity is a means to an end, and the end is what they decide is best.

Anyone who voted for Obama is dead to me. Friends, family ... anyone.

BFFs. I'm deeply moved.

kittens.jpg

[rofl] [laugh] Okay... maybe I got carried away in my ranting. But my point was only that there's more to life than politics. So it IS possible to be friends with liberals when your friendship is based on something other than politics [wink]

I guess I'm just cranky. Progressives are enemies of freedom. They would enslave me and turn my sons into wusses. For them, all of humanity is a means to an end, and the end is what they decide is best.

Anyone who voted for Obama is dead to me. Friends, family ... anyone.

No no... How do you really feel? [smile]

One of the first rules is not to let anyone outside your family know how well prepared you might be. Any ill prepared friends I might have do not know what I might have on hand.

Great thread BTW. I'd have to make sure anyone I knew has the rules straight well ahead of time. Why do all the work, research, saving of supplies, and investing in guns and ammo so I can have friends show up empty handed with a full bank account and no way to withdraw the moola. Money may be worthless in a SHTF scenario. If they are true friends they need listen to you straight up and understand there is a real threat this could happen.
Also depends on the SHTF situation. Ice storm or total collapse? Total collapse the gov will try to surround the cities and keep the folks from going in or out. They may be stuck anyway. Point this out to your friends. Tell them to prepare for the worst in their own home. Good luck trying to explain that to a liberal.

All but one of them have gone shooting with me. Half of them own at least one gun. And even the lost causes bring much to the table when it comes to surviving. After all, politics isn't everything.

It does seem like politics is mostly mindless bulls**t, most of the time, having no real consequence. That said, the decisions these people
make, end up affecting us all. Every mindless (D) or (R) vote cast for some anti freedom douchebag is basically a tiny kick in the nuts, that
when all added together, amount to one big groin punt.

This begs the age old question.... How can we justify supporting people who vote for people who want to destroy your way of life?

That's a pretty tough pill to swallow- eg, you have to deal with the incongruity between "friendship" and that "friend" doing things which are
clearly not in your best interests. I don't have a lot of lib friends, but it is a pill I have to swallow, every day.

About the only way I've found to deal with this is to try not to think about it too much, or it will eat you alive. Punting the people out of your life is an option, but I don't think that really improves anything.... if anything, it probably only emboldens them in their crappy groupthink belief system, that, and you lose a friend... and then likely, the chances of ever getting them to see the light pretty much go to zero.

ETA: More scary food for thought- What if the SHTF scenario is one precipitated by political action? We'll all have to deal with that bridge if we ever get to it, I guess.

-Mike

Last edited:
That's a pretty tough pill to swallow- eg, you have to deal with the incongruity between "friendship" and that "friend" doing things which are clearly not in your best interests. I don't have a lot of lib friends, but it is a pill I have to swallow, every day.

About the only way I've found to deal with this is to try not to think about it too much, or it will eat you alive. Punting the people out of your life is an option, but I don't think that really improves anything.... if anything, it probably only emboldens them in their crappy groupthink belief system, that, and you lose a friend... and then likely, the chances of ever getting them to see the light pretty much go to zero.
-Mike

Good points. Some will never get it or want to believe anything like this could happen. You're right though...getting them to believe they should prepare may not ever be in the works. In life or death scenario if I warned my friends even casually more than once of the possibilities involved by not being prepared there should be no problem. I hope to never test this theory out!

Thanks syntax...didn't see a new member intro area so just hopped on board. I don't use paypal so my check's in the mail for membership.

It's a family: man+woman+ 3 sons. They might be teachable to shoot, but I would bet that they wouldn't pull the trigger even if their lives depended on it. Maybe I can teach them to plant or chop wood. Urgh.

Enslave them.

Back
Top Bottom