"Show Me Your LTC", said the LEO....

When have you been told to produce your LTC?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OK Tyke, next time you're pulled over while carrying, put your hand on your pistol and say "I have a gun!" really loud and see what happens. Have a few drinks and burn a joint before you do it... If the officer tells you to put your hands up, don't do it, keep your hand on your weapon. Be my guest, see how well it ends FOR YOU. Hell, lie on your next NICS check too.

Again with assumptions that are not in evidence. You're supposing that's how it went down despite not being there and no video records of the event at that stage. Furthermore you keep bringing up non-relevant items as to whether or not the shooting was justified -- even after yourself stated that they hold no relevance. So basically this portion of your argument is an emotional plea.

Both the officer and the girlfriend describe the events as such - from the stop, to the request for ID, to reaching into the pocket with the gun, to the request for him to put his hands forward and on the dash. Different wording, different spin, but the same events are described by both the officer and the witness.

The officer himself was recorded that he was going to stop the car because of the wide set nose. The girlfriend described the events that he was shot as he was raising his hands. The officer does not. So, your statement that they describe the events as such appears to be a misrepresentation.

Whom is correct? I don't know. The fact the officer screamed "FFUUUUCCCKKKK" after the shooting implies that he knew he screwed up. Furthermore, the County Attorney investigated and stated that the officer screwed up and has found probable cause of criminal conduct as the officer has been charged with a crime. I think a conviction unlikely based on my understanding of the available evidence.

"What it really comes down to" C'mon man. Grow up. If he'd followed the very reasonable standards for being pulled over he'd be alive today. If he had complied with the officers request to move his hand away from the firearm, he'd be alive today. That's what it really comes down to. You can get stopped for a whole variety of reasons, even a drunk driving checkpoint - when it comes to being responsible and reasonable with your firearm the ball is always in YOUR court.

You're shifting the goalposts. So you acknowledge the stop was not a legitimate traffic stop due to a tail light as you first portrayed, as police audio and MN law directly counter that claim. Since we've established that there was no tail light infraction and the decision to stop was actually made in advance based solely on a "wide set nose" based on police audio... ...it really truly boils down to whether or not a wide set nose, with no other factors considered, is sufficient to generate reasonable suspicion.

OK Tyke, next time you're pulled over while carrying, put your hand on your pistol and say "I have a gun!" really loud and see what happens. Have a few drinks and burn a joint before you do it... If the officer tells you to put your hands up, don't do it, keep your hand on your weapon. Be my guest, see how well it ends FOR YOU. Hell, lie on your next NICS check too.

Both the officer and the girlfriend describe the events as such - from the stop, to the request for ID, to reaching into the pocket with the gun, to the request for him to put his hands forward and on the dash. Different wording, different spin, but the same events are described by both the officer and the witness.

"What it really comes down to" C'mon man. Grow up. If he'd followed the very reasonable standards for being pulled over he'd be alive today. If he had complied with the officers request to move his hand away from the firearm, he'd be alive today. That's what it really comes down to. You can get stopped for a whole variety of reasons, even a drunk driving checkpoint - when it comes to being responsible and reasonable with your firearm the ball is always in YOUR court.

Cop is a POS who panicked, his only defense is that he was obviously very, very poorly trained.

I was in a car with two other people coming back from a match. The cop who stopped the driver for stupid driving said "I smell gunpowder" and "I'll need to see LTCs from two of you". (not sure where the 2 out of 3 rule came from). Very uneventful other than two backups arriving to cover us while the officer wrote the driver a warning.

I was in a car with two other people coming back from a match. The cop who stopped the driver for stupid driving said "I smell gunpowder" and "I'll need to see LTCs from two of you". (not sure where the 2 out of 3 rule came from). Very uneventful other than two backups arriving to cover us while the officer wrote the driver a warning.
He already knew the driver had a LTC when he ran the plate?

He already knew the driver had a LTC when he ran the plate?
Possibly, but he accepted the driver's LTC as one of the 2 out of 3. (he didn't say which two, just said LTCs from two of you)

We we not disarmed, ordered out of the car, or searched. No drama, handled professionally and courteously.

What I'm saying is - and let's be clear about this - cops may, or may not CARE about your 2A rights. They ONLY care about not taking a bullet for a traffic stop. A traffic stop is no place to wave your flag. He has a gun, you have a gun, and he might be nervous about YOU HAVING A GUN, regardless of what your permit is or says. You think your card makes you the "good guy" to Mr. Nervous Cop?

It should, given the amount of bullshit we went through to get it. Otherwise, what's the point?

Also, I give zero ****s about how "nervous" a LEO is about a citizen lawfully carrying a handgun. He should quit his ****ing job if he can't deal with people exercising their rights in a lawful manner. Disarming people "as a matter of course" absent other circumstances, is shallow ****, 10 points of IQ type thinking.

-Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Any gun stickers on the car? That sounds almost like a BS excuse. Or he's one of those LEOs that shoots trap on sundays but doenst think regular citizens should own handguns.

-Mike

Any gun stickers on the car? That sounds almost like a BS excuse. Or he's one of those LEOs that shoots trap on sundays but doenst think regular citizens should own handguns.
No. but the logos on the driver's shirt are what the observant LEO would call a clue.

The stop concluded with "You gentlemen are exercising your rights as Americans to be armed and that is a good thing. Have a nice day".

This was in a certain town that the Hildebeast frequented in her younger years.

It should, given the amount of bullshit we went through to get it. Otherwise, what's the point?

Also, I give zero ****s about how "nervous" a LEO is about a citizen lawfully carrying a handgun. He should quit his ****ing job if he can't deal with people exercising their rights in a lawful manner. Disarming people "as a matter of course" absent other circumstances, is shallow ****, 10 points of IQ type thinking.

-Mike

I'd love to agree with you, but I can't use telepathy to PUT 'good thoughts' into a Police Officer's head. My thoughts are, there is dangerously inadequate dialog happening between CCP owners and Law Enforcement in this state, and others. My objective is to collect my ticket and be on my way, not find ways to escalate a situation. Considering the fact that 'Johnny Law' is under a great deal of pressure these days, and has woefully little training regarding firearms law or armed-citizen interaction here in the 'Great State of Massachusetts', I'm going to continue to recommend serious caution and friendly compliance. If you and GOAL would like to interact with the FOP Mass State Chapter and raise your concerns/suggestions/dialog, I'll wager that would be more beneficial.

Keep in mind that most states don't require a rigid anal probing before issuing an LTC like Mass does. Point in case: my PA permit took literally 15 minutes to fill out the paperwork in the Sheriff's office, get photographed, and have the printed license handed to me on the spot. In most places, if you can pass a NICS check, you get a license if you bother to fill out the paperwork.

In MA, it makes perfect sense to me to believe that having an LTC should automatically make you a "good guy" to the cop. You've been examined 84 ways from Sunday and found suitable. In other states, maybe not so much. That said, I don't agree with the disarming bullshit.

My issue with disarming is that the officer is NOT a firearms expert, has no experience with my firearm, and is more likely to have a negligent discharge due to both of those facts. It is much safer for everyone involved to leave it in the ****ing holster and instruct me to keep my hands in plain sight.

It's a ****ing power play by the cop

Keep in mind that most states don't require a rigid anal probing before issuing an LTC like Mass does. Point in case: my PA permit took literally 15 minutes to fill out the paperwork in the Sheriff's office, get photographed, and have the printed license handed to me on the spot. In most places, if you can pass a NICS check, you get a license if you bother to fill out the paperwork.

In MA, it makes perfect sense to me to believe that having an LTC should automatically make you a "good guy" to the cop. You've been examined 84 ways from Sunday and found suitable. In other states, maybe not so much. That said, I don't agree with the disarming bullshit.

I disagree that the MA LTC process is more "thorough" than other states; it's just more hoops to jump through with the intended effect of discouraging gun ownership. Personally I'm not a fan of .gov permission slips at all, but shall-issue states like PA do it right. They check that the person is not a PP, and they're good to go. All the other bullshit that MA tacks does nothing to make anybody "safer."

I'd love to agree with you, but I can't use telepathy to PUT 'good thoughts' into a Police Officer's head. My thoughts are, there is dangerously inadequate dialog happening between CCP owners and Law Enforcement in this state, and others. My objective is to collect my ticket and be on my way, not find ways to escalate a situation.

I don't either, which is I why I don't notify on a traffic stop in MA. It's not legally required.

Considering the fact that 'Johnny Law' is under a great deal of pressure these days, and has woefully little training regarding firearms law or armed-citizen interaction here in the 'Great State of Massachusetts'

Mass isn't really the problem, we're mostly referring to other ****stick states that have must notify or shitty LEOs.

I have heard of this disarming bullshit happening here, too, but it is pretty rare, or usually caused by the carrier running their mouth when they didn't need to. I'm mostly speaking about other states where it may be must notify and the police probably make about as much as a mcdonalds manager, maybe less.

I'm going to continue to recommend serious caution and friendly compliance. If you and GOAL would like to interact with the FOP Mass State Chapter and raise your concerns/suggestions/dialog, I'll wager that would be more beneficial.

Again, this isn't really a mass problem. In MA unless the LEO wants to take the time to queue you up in the computer, and then give you shit for having an LTC, and then ask if you're currently carrying, etc, and on top of that, still disarm you, is it going to be an issue.

I've only ever had a LEO in MA ask me once if I was carrying, and his response was "Good" after I said yes. It was a bored trooper who was mostly professional and very polite, he even made a half hearted effort to break out the ole surf casting rod, but it didn't work. (I think he was just doing a roundabout sobriety shit test by engaging me in conversation. )

I think you mistake my anger for a nostrum of implied resistance, the two things are not the same. Resisting a LEOs attempt to disarm you is suicidal, but that said, when this happens, on a typical traffic stop- most of the time, barring extraordinary or very special circumstances, it should piss you off after the fact. Weak people, little tyrants like that, like that don't belong in LE. The entire thing swirls around the memetics of the fun "guns are bad" mentality and makes it worse by reinforcing it.

-Mike

Last edited:
Again with assumptions that are not in evidence. You're supposing that's how it went down despite not being there and no video records of the event at that stage. Furthermore you keep bringing up non-relevant items as to whether or not the shooting was justified -- even after yourself stated that they hold no relevance. So basically this portion of your argument is an emotional plea.

The officer himself was recorded that he was going to stop the car because of the wide set nose. The girlfriend described the events that he was shot as he was raising his hands. The officer does not. So, your statement that they describe the events as such appears to be a misrepresentation.

When the **** did I bring anything up about a tail light? That's all you sweetheart, I said no such thing. So take that shit and stow it.

Relevance falls to how one handles a police stop, regardless of the reason for the stop. Don't reach for your firearm, don't yell "I have a gun", and when the officer tells you to keep your hands up or on the wheel or on the dash, do it. The girlfriend said he was shot "as he was trying to his hands" whatever that means - what exactly does trying to raise hands look like? She also stated that he A) reached into the pocket with the firearm, B) stated loudly "I've got a gun". The cop echoes those statements. That is supremely relevant. The fact that he was stoned and drunk is relevant because it's A) illegal to carry a firearm under the influence and B) it affects judgement and decision making.

That's got jack shit to do with emotion and everything to do with logic and common sense.

You're right, the fact that he was a prohibited person who lied on NICS and his CCL application should be left out - forget that. The fact that it was an illegal gun - not lawfully purchased or owned - is irrelevant. The officer had no way of knowing that and it has nothing to do with the stop, so leave it out... whatever.

Whom is correct? I don't know. The fact the officer screamed "FFUUUUCCCKKKK" after the shooting implies that he knew he screwed up. Furthermore, the County Attorney investigated and stated that the officer screwed up and has found probable cause of criminal conduct as the officer has been charged with a crime. I think a conviction unlikely based on my understanding of the available evidence.

And who knows more about policing or firearms than an attorney general, am I right? Choosing to bring charges or not bring charges is irrelevant. It depends on who's in charge, which way the wind is blowing politically, whose ox has been gored, and who's going to take to the streets next week in protest.

Based on your expert opinion do most people not have an emotion or two the first time they shoot someone? You think yelling "****" is an acknowledgement of fault? C'mon man. I've never had the displeasure of shooting anyone, but most of the guys I work with have and a scant few don't have a few hangups about it despite knowing they were in the right. People yell **** when they're under stress; their screwup, someone else's screwup, a cosmic screwup with no assignable fault - it's kind of an all purpose word.

You're shifting the goalposts. So you acknowledge the stop was not a legitimate traffic stop due to a tail light as you first portrayed, as police audio and MN law directly counter that claim. Since we've established that there was no tail light infraction and the decision to stop was actually made in advance based solely on a "wide set nose" based on police audio... ...it really truly boils down to whether or not a wide set nose, with no other factors considered, is sufficient to generate reasonable suspicion.

I'm not shifting shit. It boils down to how you handle a traffic stop regardless of the legitimacy. The guy was intoxicated and made a series of stupid choices that EVERY. SINGLE. PERSON. on this forum has been taught and trained not to - that he himself had been taught and trained not to mere months before. Does that make it "right" that he died? Does that give the officer a 00 license to kill? Of course not. But it does not mean that there's a massive racist conspiracy, that the officer acted unreasonably given the situation, or that Castile was "murdered".

None of this really matters because that LEO that plugged castile is on trial right now I think, and we'll find out shortly whether it's legally his fault or not. Castile might not have been very bright but that doesn't mean that a LEO necessarily has a right to shoot you for that. "Furtive movements" is such weaksauce excuse.

That LEO who plugged the black guy at the gas station who was merely retrieving his wallet is also in prison now, btw.

-Mike

The statie in SC? Now that was a demonstrable ****up to be sure.

Yeah, I still can't find out if he was finally sentenced, though. People were bitching about it last fall because the sentencing was taking so long. The guy's name was Sean Groubert. Oh, get this, after he plugs the guy with the wallet, but before the trial (he was under "house arrest" or some bs) he also got arrested for shoplifting. [rofl]

-Mike

As a cop in Massachusetts I can say I have have encountered LTC carriers and my usual answer after asking if they have a gun on them is "good keep yours in your holster and I will keep mine in my holster"

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

As a cop in Massachusetts I can say I have have encountered LTC carriers and my usual answer after asking if they have a gun on them is "good keep yours in your holster and I will keep mine in my holster"

Winner, winner

chicken dinner.jpg

Unless donuts are more your thing. [wink]

Welcome to the Forum

I don't run into cops that often, and when I do it is only traffic stops, how often does this even come up? I know I have never been asked about it, so I wonder in this state anyway since most traffic stops keep the person inside the car if most cops are even bothering to ask unless something tips them off that things are going bad.

I don't run into cops that often, and when I do it is only traffic stops, how often does this even come up? I know I have never been asked about it, so I wonder in this state anyway since most traffic stops keep the person inside the car if most cops are even bothering to ask unless something tips them off that things are going bad.
Rarely for me and I work in a city. Most people with guns i deal with are gang members

That's great, you sound like a reasonable guy but why are you even asking that question? If it's a routine traffic stop you don't need to know if I have a permit or if I'm carrying.

That's great, you sound like a reasonable guy but why are you even asking that question? If it's a routine traffic stop you don't need to know if I have a permit or if I'm carrying.
One the guy volunteered he had a LTC. One had an open glock case in the back that I saw on approach. One was printing something fierce when I was cover officer. None caused an issue so i never felt a need to go beyond a general inquiry. Lawfully armed citizens dont cause me distress, just crazies/gang members

Yeah, I still can't find out if he was finally sentenced, though. People were bitching about it last fall because the sentencing was taking so long. The guy's name was Sean Groubert. Oh, get this, after he plugs the guy with the wallet, but before the trial (he was under "house arrest" or some bs) he also got arrested for shoplifting. [rofl]

-Mike

Gotta pay those legal fees somehow, right? [rofl]

When the **** did I bring anything up about a tail light? That's all you sweetheart, I said no such thing. So take that shit and stow it.

You stated he was stopped for a "legitimate reason". While you did not state it explicitly, it's hard to understand to what else you might be referring other than the tail light as you precluded the physical description "match" as being reason for the stop (per your post, a legitimate stop was made and then, and only then, was the physical description "match" noticed). At that point, the only other reason given by the police was the tail light being out. Which is not a violation per MN statutes.

So, absent some other to-date yet-to-be-articulated reason, with regard to it being a legitimate stop, it boils down to whether or not a wide set nose, absent any and all other factors, is sufficient to generate RS to stop a car.

Relevance falls to how one handles a police stop, regardless of the reason for the stop. Don't reach for your firearm, don't yell "I have a gun", and when the officer tells you to keep your hands up or on the wheel or on the dash, do it. The girlfriend said he was shot "as he was trying to his hands" whatever that means - what exactly does trying to raise hands look like? She also stated that he A) reached into the pocket with the firearm, B) stated loudly "I've got a gun". The cop echoes those statements. That is supremely relevant. The fact that he was stoned and drunk is relevant because it's A) illegal to carry a firearm under the influence and B) it affects judgement and decision making.

That's got jack shit to do with emotion and everything to do with logic and common sense.

There's no definitive proof to back up your suppositions -- based on your mis-characterization regarding as to the sequence of events ("he pulled them over for a legitimate reason and then noticed they matched the physical description") I'm very disinclined to take you at face value with regard to whether or not, in your own words, he "blurted it out as he had his hand on the gun, or at least in the same pocket". Especially since the facts of the case presented to the court, uncontested by the Defense, provide that Castile informed the officer in a calm, non-threatening manner.

Additionally it should be noted that, when initially interviewed, the officer stated "he did not know where the gun was" so he, by his own testimony could not have (1) known there actually was a gun [but as Castile himself notified the officer, there absolutely no reason to believe otherwise] (2) known where the gun was, (3) seen the gun, (4) seen Castile's hand on the gun or (5) know if the gun and the wallet were in the same location. And if he didn't know, then how can you make the claim that the officer "echoed", and thus "knew at the time", that Castile reached into the same pocket as the firearm? Furthermore you don't even know what Castile is doing as one eyewitness states he was reaching (a self-serving statement) and another states that Castile was raising his hands -- and there is no video, to my knowledge, to show which side is providing accurate statements.

Also -- you make the claim that Castile was drunk...please cite where Castile was found to have alcohol in his system above the legal limit? The only relation, to my knowledge, drunk driving has to the case is an expert witness the Defense plans to call -- a "Use of Force" expert who has a drunk driving conviction!

You're right, the fact that he was a prohibited person who lied on NICS and his CCL application should be left out - forget that. The fact that it was an illegal gun - not lawfully purchased or owned - is irrelevant. The officer had no way of knowing that and it has nothing to do with the stop, so leave it out... whatever.

Exactly. It had no bearing on the officer's actions. Nor was there a violent history, never mind one known to the officer. So yes, it is completely and utterly irrelevant with regard to the actions the officer chose to take.

Furthermore this issue, specifically with regard to THC in his system, but tangentially to the NICS/4473 (as you associated the two), has already been considered by the court in their rejection of the defense's motion to dismiss with the court finding "A victim’s unreasonable conduct is never an absolute defense to a criminal charge."

And who knows more about policing or firearms than an attorney general, am I right? Choosing to bring charges or not bring charges is irrelevant. It depends on who's in charge, which way the wind is blowing politically, whose ox has been gored, and who's going to take to the streets next week in protest.

It's not about policing or firearms. It's about whether or not the actions taken constituted criminal conduct. The County Attorney, after an internal investigation (which are typically heavily in favor of officers), determined that there was probable cause that the actions taken constituted criminal conduct and there are sufficient facts to try the officer. The court has rejected the defense's motion to dismiss, affirming that probable cause exists and, based on the evidence presented, the state may indeed prevail at trial.

Based on your expert opinion do most people not have an emotion or two the first time they shoot someone? You think yelling "****" is an acknowledgement of fault? C'mon man. I've never had the displeasure of shooting anyone, but most of the guys I work with have and a scant few don't have a few hangups about it despite knowing they were in the right. People yell **** when they're under stress; their screwup, someone else's screwup, a cosmic screwup with no assignable fault - it's kind of an all purpose word.

It can be an acknowledgement of fault, or, as you state, it can be other things. Based on the fact the officer didn't call in a felony stop for someone he "suspected" of being an armed (and dangerous!) robber, he definitely screwed up for not doing so.

I'm not shifting shit. It boils down to how you handle a traffic stop regardless of the legitimacy. The guy was intoxicated and made a series of stupid choices that EVERY. SINGLE. PERSON. on this forum has been taught and trained not to - that he himself had been taught and trained not to mere months before. Does that make it "right" that he died? Does that give the officer a 00 license to kill? Of course not. But it does not mean that there's a massive racist conspiracy, that the officer acted unreasonably given the situation, or that Castile was "murdered".

Regardless, I'm not arguing there is some massive racist conspiracy or that it was 1st degree murder. On the flip side the officer stated he was pulling over someone he suspected of being a highly dangerous armed robber (solely based on a "wide set nose") without calling in a felony stop doesn't add up and brings into question the officer's judgment or the stated motive for stopping the vehicle.

Nor am I arguing that Castile is some saint, innocent or some poor baby. I'm arguing that, based on the evidence and my knowledge, the officer acted incorrectly, irresponsibly, unreasonably and very possibly, criminally. If one is able to provide additional evidence that is credible and counters all of it, I take no issue with revising my opinion and/or argument. I do take umbrage at attempts to slough responsibility off on specious arguments that are demonstrably false, not accepted by the court as relevant or valid, or are unsupported suppositions that, in one instance, are directly contradicted by the officer's own testimony (interview) and in another instance, directly contradicted by the facts of the case as presented to the court.

Last edited:
One the guy volunteered he had a LTC. One had an open glock case in the back that I saw on approach. One was printing something fierce when I was cover officer. None caused an issue so i never felt a need to go beyond a general inquiry. Lawfully armed citizens dont cause me distress, just crazies/gang members

Fair enough. Thanks for not being freaked out over lawfully armed citizens.

Back
Top Bottom