• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Show me your AK

Are you sure its the rear sight and not the front? If its the front you can drive out the pin and re-adjust the sight and pin it where it belongs. Rifle looks great btw.
Thanks!
I'm pretty sure it's the rear sight. As I look down the top of the receiver the front sight is in line with the top while the rear sight block is tilted to the right.

Thanks!
I'm pretty sure it's the rear sight. As I look down the top of the receiver the front sight is in line with the top while the rear sight block is tilted to the right.

Your post had me thinking and I just checked mine. It does also have a slight tilt to the rear sight base and I remembered that I too had to drift my front sight way over to get the rifle to shoot straight.
Luckily for me it wasn't too bad.

Rather than getting tech sites, I'd get a side mount Kobra and enjoy it the way modern AKs are meant to be.

Than again its an AK. I guess we could try the whack it with a mallet trick. [smile]

purty AK, ya knows they aints suposed to be purty[smile]. Nice to see I was checking out some of the "newer" ones and they kinda look crappy.
Nice, I would really double check which sight is canted. Maybe post some pics?
I had a canted front sight which I had fixed by a gun smith for short money.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=74&t=118011 does it look like this?

Thanks for the link. It does look like that, though i think mine is slightly more canted. I'll go take a quick pic and post it.

Ok, here's a pic. It's hard to get a good photo that tells the true story. i would say it's a combo of the rear sited canting to the right and the front sight slightly canting to the left. I whacked the front sight post some more with a hammer which should help. That's about as far to the right as it will go. I'll see when I get it to the range. If that doesn't do it enough I'll try shifting the front sight base.
IMG_4587.jpg

I have plenty of "shooter-grade" AKs to play with- Too much money in gunsmithing and refinishing in these.

Are you sure its the rear sight and not the front? If its the front you can drive out the pin and re-adjust the sight and pin it where it belongs. Rifle looks great btw.

That's what I did. Just make sure the barrel is supported and drive the two pins out. Even with the pins out, its tough to move so you can go to the range with no pins and move it around until its where it needs to be and then re-pin it.

Oh yeah and....

001-15.jpg

005-8.jpg

What do you guys think of the WASR's? I've had a couple Yugo's and loved em. How do they compare?

I bought my wasr in 2004. It had trigger slap that I fixed by buying a new trigger group. The newer ones come with a better tapco trigger. My WASR is super reliable; I've never had a FTF or FTE in the 5,000 rounds I put through it. There are many accessories that will fit on a WASR and I've bought several. I didn't like the feel of the standard grip so I bought an Ergo Suregrip. I just installed tech-sights which give a great sight picture. I also added a rubber pad to the shoulder stock to increase its length.

I bought my wasr in 2004. It had trigger slap that I fixed by buying a new trigger group. The newer ones come with a better tapco trigger. My WASR is super reliable; I've never had a FTF or FTE in the 5,000 rounds I put through it. There are many accessories that will fit on a WASR and I've bought several. I didn't like the feel of the standard grip so I bought an Ergo Suregrip. I just installed tech-sights which give a great sight picture. I also added a rubber pad to the shoulder stock to increase its length.

+1 Thank You

IMG_0330.jpg

I was going to wait until I properly 'finished' the romanian G to a BFPU condition, but I figured by the time that happens I'll probably have her hungarian sister built to show off as well [wink]

IMG_0330.jpg

I was going to wait until I properly 'finished' the romanian G to a BFPU condition, but I figured by the time that happens I'll probably have her hungarian sister built to show off as well [wink]

Any closeups of the G? I really want to do an AK build with a worn or carved stock set and make a BFPU. I have all the resources but I'm still reluctant.

Any closeups of the G? I really want to do an AK build with a worn or carved stock set and make a BFPU. I have all the resources but I'm still reluctant.

don't be shy from it. I thought it was going to be terribly hard- it's not. Did 5 of them with my friends with very minimal tools: arbor press, punch set, BF hammers, bench vice, drilll press, riveting jigs, and an angle grinder. I put up a how-to build guid in the build section... take a look at it. Right here We ran into some problems, but no show stoppers besides a rivet arm of our jig bending to the point of getting stress fractures. The guy that made it for me replaced it with 2 arms, one of a harder rockwell steel and one with the same kind. A good guy from over on gunco.net.

I'd take some close up pics, but since the receiver isn't finished, it'd be kind of pointless. My wood is worn, but no carvings or anything. Some of my friends stocks and grips had field repair and soldiers names carved in them. Really sweet stuff. Mine has vice grip teeth marks and water wear from sitting in a puddle... not as glamorous. I plan on doing a steel wool job to some casey's blue solution to the receiver to get it to match the rest of the rifle's bluing job.

here we go... just snapped some pictures. As you can tell, nothing much besides a factory stamp and a bunch of beat up vice teeth marks... and hell, it could be from the demiller for all I know. d'oh!

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

you can see one of the rear rivets that I need to redo in the last picture. My friends are mailing me the jigs so I can use a hammer or a big bench vise to re-do the rear two rivets. They were too short and sheared after some handling and 600 rounds.

And now that you have me thinking of it, the grain looks pretty good on both parts. It might actually look good if it was refinished to a point and then artificially worn down by me with some steel wool. Hmmm... maybe it's the vodka seeping into my head.

Last edited:
Here's what I have so far. I really don't need any more but I doubt I can ever turn down a good deal. Most I ever paid was $600 for an AK and that was the milled Bulgarian just today. Everything else was in the 300's or less.
AK473-1.jpg

Milled Arsenal Bulgarian SA93 with Ironwood stock set
Bulgarian3-1.jpg

Romanian SAR1
SAR1-1.jpg

Hungarian AMD65 with FEG receiver
AMD65-1.jpg

Norinco NHM90
NHM90-1.jpg

Norinco NHM91
NHM91-1.jpg

Norinco MAK90 Got this in pieces but complete for $175 this month. Came with 3 stock sets also.
MAK90-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom