• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shoulder Carry?

I was looking through the site for people's opinions on shoulder carrying but didn't see a specific post. I was wondering who out there has chosen this method of carry and/or chosen against this method.

The reason I ask is that my daily attire for work requires me to be in business wear. So my clothes are a little more form fitting and my shirt is tucked in, therefore belt holsters and inside my waste aren't feasible options for me as they are on the weekend.

Any opinions, comments, or suggested gear would be greatly welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks

Wintertime is easy to use this method, especially in Ma. Can just wear a trenchcoat all the time to keep it "hidden" (concealed). I have tried this a few times during the cold weather, and I can tell you that unless you have a huge jacket or overcoat/trenchcoat setup, it would be difficult for you to keep everything concealed.

During the warmer seasons of spring/summer? I cannot imagine how you could keep it concealed without sweating your cahones off and looking conspicuous.

With that said, there are many folks in your station, where they must wear business/business-casual and carry. There must be a solution for you out there. Be sure to check the equipment sub-forum.

Maybe an ankle holster with a small revolver is what you need. Not the best location to draw from but better than nothing.

I carried a Walther ppk in a leather shoulder holster for 20 years as a backup and no one ever saw it. It all depends on the size of the gun and the quality of the holster.

I have and have used the Galco gear. The miami classic is a nice way to go. As long as you have something not too large or too fat it does work well under a jacket, and it is comfortable when it is set up correctly.
A PPK is a very nice way to go.. A 1911 works well too.

i carry a glock 23 in a miami vice sometimes when hiking or driving alot. i have to wear a thick fleece other wise its kinda bulgy. depends on the gun i guess. its very comfy though

If you do go with a shoulder holster, go Galco Miami Classic! However shoulder carry is not great for concealment so I wouldnt recommend it unless your employers and coworkers would be ok with you carrying. I think you should really consider a jframe or small auto in an ankle holster, if you dont already have a "pocketable" gun such as a Keltec 380 or 32, Ruger LCP, Seecamp, NAA Gaurdian, Micro Eagle, etc..

I carried a 1911 and spare ammo in a Jackass rig and it was comfortable but I didn't like the way the holster and mag carrier would swing forward when I leaned over. I also have shoulder holsters from Bianchi and Safariland. I prefer to carry outside the waistband in a leather holster.

During the cold months I carry a S&W Model 36 in an upside down rig from Nevada Leather. Its comfortable, and I have worn it under a sweat shirt without a
problem.

In a word, dont. Shoulder holsters are for old cops who have to hit the can several times a day or James Bond wanna bee's.

Pretend you have one on and draw while walking with your wife or kids or just in a loose crowd. See how many people you just swept while drawing and getting on target. Worse if you concerned other is on your right side (I'll assume you're right handed) and she grabs your right arm while you try to draw.

Strong Side behind the hip. If you take a class at Sig for example, they'll drum that into you real quick.

Ankle holster, sure. Great if you feel the need for a back up, but very hard to get to while standing and I wanna watch you draw on the run. Not to mention that it's not real comfortable to run while wearing one.

Hope that helps,

Ya as I said in my other post it would be the Miami Classic if I went to one. I just no how I would order it.

I would think the vertical (straight up and down) would be better than horizontal to wear and conceal.

I don't plan on it, I like OWB also. I've been wearing a IWB lately but my body shape doesn't really like IWB holsters [smile] .

Last edited:
I would think the vertical (straight up and down) would be better than horizontal to wear and conceal.

I don't plan on it, I like OWB also. I've been wearing a IWB lately but my body shape doesn't really like IWB holsters [smile] .

Depends on the size of the gun and how big you are. A full size 1911 will disappear in a vertical arrangement. Or something like a PPK will disappear under your armpit in a horizontal situation.
Either way, you can also get the tie downs that anchor the holster to your belt too.

First off I’d like to thank everyone for the responses and how quick they came through. It seems that through the opinion of the crowd a shoulder carry holster would not be a good option for me. I don’t typically wear jackets throughout the day and my clothes are fairly form fitting and most of you said it would out me pretty quick.
With that being said I will have to look into the possible other options. I was looking to pick up a PPS for a summer CCW this week so hopefully with the purchase of a smaller firearm I will open up more possibilities. I don’t think pocket carry would work for me just because you can usually see my cell phone in my pocket pretty clear while at my desk. I am interested in checking out some tuckable IWB holsters for it and possibly an ankle holster. Anyone carry a PPS for their CCW of choice? If so what is your chosen method? Anyone do so in dress shirts and slack?

I'm also going to pick up a small gun, something like the Ruger LCP (not allowed in MASS yet as far as I know) and this is how I would carry it:

Cell Phone / PDA Case .

I think that would work great for me.

I would get the pink one [rofl] [rofl] [rofl]

I'm really intreasted in the new S&W Body Guard 380 !!!

Last edited:
Shoulder rigs are a pita and unless you wear a suit jacket at all times, there's no good way to keep concealment. Most use strong-side. Or, as others have said, a .38 in a pocket holster is pretty well near invisible.

In a word, dont. Shoulder holsters are for old cops who have to hit the can several times a day or James Bond wanna bee's.

Pretend you have one on and draw while walking with your wife or kids or just in a loose crowd. See how many people you just swept while drawing and getting on target. Worse if you concerned other is on your right side (I'll assume you're right handed) and she grabs your right arm while you try to draw.

Strong Side behind the hip. If you take a class at Sig for example, they'll drum that into you real quick.

Ankle holster, sure. Great if you feel the need for a back up, but very hard to get to while standing and I wanna watch you draw on the run. Not to mention that it's not real comfortable to run while wearing one.

Hope that helps,

Chuck ..you got me..old cop, though I would think your better half grabbing your right arm would also inhibit you drawing from a strong side right hip.[grin]

I've worn a shoulder rig for most of the year without issue. Sweep is not an issue if you keep the booger hook off the bang switch like you're supposed to. If you're that worried about it perhaps you should consider carrying a stick.

Get one that straps to the belt to hold it down. In the summer, if you see me with a light short sleeve shirt over a tee, I'm wearing the shoulder rig. But, sometimes I also carry a .25 Ortgies in my pocket holster too.

I've also worn it under a sweatshirt/over a tee in the fall,spring, and winter. Does James Bond wear sweatshirts? No, that was a tux.

Last edited:
check out the 5.11 undershirt, the NRA store has them embroidered with the logo and for cheaper than anywhere else. the stitching is itchy as hell though, if you wear it with a v-neck underneath it isn't so bad.

http://www.nrastore.com/nra/Product.aspx?productid=682b-w

This is a great shirt.
I have one.

The bad thing is that it itches because of the stitching on the inside. I wear a tight undershirt, underneath it.

If you are between sizes, go for the larger size.

Back
Top Bottom