Should I wait until constitutional concealed carry bill passes or go get permit now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Non-resident Utah gets you maybe 2 more states, but NH resident is just ten bucks and gets you reciprocity with states which do not accept Utah non-resident: Colorado, Florida, Michigan, and Pennsylvania.

Compare that to spending around a hundred bucks for Utah (class and $47 application fee), just to add Montana, Nebraska and Nevada.

PA is kind of huge if you want to travel anywhere out of New England. Also WV is good to have.

Am I missing something? Why would you need it at that point?

Because as a NH resident, your NH P&R license, for $10, gets you the ability to carry in other non constitutional carry states that recognize the NH P&R license.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, I have a NH and FL. They do what I need. Although it sucks that PA doesn't recognize either of these non-res permits anymore.

3 days?!!!?!!! Where I'm at in NH you drop the form, make sure it's completely filled out, and they say come pick it up in 24 hours. Gives the Chief enough time to get to the station and put his Herbie Hancock on it. All they do is run a background check on you, and what does that take, 15-30 minutes at worst when you're buying a pistol/revolver?

Manchester stretches it out to the full 14.

3 days?!!!?!!! Where I'm at in NH you drop the form, make sure it's completely filled out, and they say come pick it up in 24 hours. Gives the Chief enough time to get to the station and put his Herbie Hancock on it. All they do is run a background check on you, and what does that take, 15-30 minutes at worst when you're buying a pistol/revolver?

Meh still 1.6 billion times better than mass so I'll take it.

So I was reading this thread earlier and remembered my wife and I's P&R's expire on the 22nd of this month. So I download the apps and give them to the wife with a twenty to drop at the PD before she goes into work. That was at about ten of two, Just got the call from the PD licenses are ready, it was ten of four. Elapsed time two hours. I love NH!

I was gonna wait to get an AR Lower. I decided I'd wait one more week just so I had a little more wiggle room in the bank account.

That all changed when the Fire Nation att...I mean Healey put in the AR ban.

What legal challenges? Like the ones that didn't happen in Maine? There's literally nothing to challenge- the legislators changed the law! (pending final votes/signing) Do I need to post the schoolhouse rock video? [laugh]

ETA: The only reason to get the permit at this point is:

-The GFSZ thing that Kevin NH mentioned
-Reciprocity (if NH resident, else, this is worthless for everyone else, or pretty nearly so)
-Not sure how the legislature works; there may be a several month delay in enactment of the law like there was in Maine.

If any of those things is a concern, then yeah, apply and get it done.

-Mike

No delay. As soon as the governor signs it, it becomes law (per the stipulation in the bill).

If section 159:14 isn't affected, then for resident's, you may still want to get a license anyway.

159:14 was not changed by this bill.

To the OP, if you care about the GFSZA (which is never prosecuted as a standalone charge) get the permit. If you care about reciprocity in states outside of New England, get the permit. If you want to carry in Maine without the legal requirement to immediately notify an officer you have a firearm when stopped, get the permit.

Otherwise, wait a week or so and you will be able to carry without the permit.

No delay. As soon as the governor signs it, it becomes law (per the stipulation in the bill).

159:14 was not changed by this bill.

To the OP, if you care about the GFSZA (which is never prosecuted as a standalone charge) get the permit. If you care about reciprocity in states outside of New England, get the permit. If you want to carry in Maine without the legal requirement to immediately notify an officer you have a firearm when stopped, get the permit.

Otherwise, wait a week or so and you will be able to carry without the permit.
Everytown for Gun Confiscation had poured a lot of money into NH lately. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a lawsuit filed and an injunction sought.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Everytown for Gun Confiscation had poured a lot of money into NH lately. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a lawsuit filed and an injunction sought.

Yeah, that'll happen! They can eat the corn from my poo poo [laugh]

No injunction ever issued to postpone enactment of explicitly passed Const. Carry law

TMK, there has never been an injunction issued to hold off enactment of of an explicitly passed Constitutional Carry law.

They can try, but this isn't their home turf; they'll find New Hampshire a tough row to hoe.

Didn't the Governor already veto CC before? Will she again?

She may end up voting on CCW reciprocity as a member of the US Senate in Warshington, where she now "serves", but NH has a new Governor as of last month.

- - - Updated - - -

Christopher Sununu (R) was elected governor of New Hampshire in November 2016. You're thinking of the former moonbat.

Beat me to it!

TMK, there has never been an injunction issued to hold off enactment of of an explicitly passed Constitutional Carry law.

They can try, but this isn't their home turf; they'll find New Hampshire a tough row to hoe.
I didn't say they will be successful, but they will absolutely try. All it takes is one left-handed judge...

I don't think they can (or will). It was approximately a 10:1 ratio (for/against) that showed up for the hearing on Wednesday and even then, the house was only about a quarter full (I was disappointed not to see more). I'm hoping that they eventually see that, at least for now, where we have a Republican, fairly conservative governor, and the Republicans control both houses that not much will happen in NH for a few years.

There are certainly still battles to fight like the voter suppression bill (no firearms in the polls) but if we keep pressing the reps and senators (especially the republican ones) the Bloomberg run operatives know that their fight against the CC bill is probably over...They will move onto other nefarious issues.

If other democrat reps and senators are anything like my democrat rep, their minds are most likely already made up and you can do little or nothing to change them, much the feeling I had when I went to the hearing this past Wednesday. There was some very compelling testimony given yet I don't think a single mind was changed on the committee that day.

Last edited:
Am I missing something? Why would you need it at that point?

If you are a NH resident with the CC permit and travel to another state that recognizes your permit (like TX, I think) then you could CC in that other state. Without the permit you would not get reciprocity it CC in other states.

Incorrect

No wonder there is so much misunderstanding in regards to gun laws. I mean, NH while not perfect is about as simple as it comes for gun laws. Yet somehow, citing nothing, you feel the need to incorrectly correct someone. GTFO. If they aren't personally known to you a license is very much required for a private handgun sale.

If you are a NH resident with the CC permit and travel to another state that recognizes your permit (like TX, I think) then you could CC in that other state. Without the permit you would not get reciprocity it CC in other states.

Texas does not recognize NH resident permit to the best of my knowledge. I could be wrong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom